Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 Nov 2000, 23:09 (Ref:46730)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not technically minded myself and i rely heavily on friends for help and advice when it comes to car specification and maintenance. So I welcome any suggestions you all care to make.

Previously, i have used ordinary street pads, they are cheap to buy, they don't need warming or bedding in and in the past they lasted well at Lakeside which is a flowing track with a shortage of tight corners and hard stops. But now, they are just not working well enough, I'm getting brake fade after about 5 laps and wear has also become a problem. My last set failed to complete their second meeting, i used to get a full season from a set of pads.

I've talked extensively with my colleagues and there are two popular suggestions. Bendix Ultimate, a premium high performance pad made with carbon/kevlar, these wear well and don't fade, but need warming and bedding in and they don't give much change from AUD100. The alternative is the Bendix Metal King, these are made from iron/steel, they work similarly to the Ultimates but are known to chew up disc rotors and are about half the price of the Ultimates.

Any ideas, folks?
Old 4 Nov 2000, 23:29 (Ref:46734)   #2
bobdrummond
Racer

bobdrummond should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are Performance Friction's Carbon-Metallic pads within your budget?

Have you checked your current installation;-
Is there sufficient cooling?
Is the disc ok?
Have you serviced the calipers recently?

Old 5 Nov 2000, 03:27 (Ref:46762)   #3
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not familiar with those Bob. We have recently replaced the discs and fitted cooling ducts and we are about to overhaul the calipers.
Old 5 Nov 2000, 17:24 (Ref:46854)   #4
bobdrummond
Racer

When used on steel discs, Carbon Metallic Pads provide stopping power comparable to Carbon discs/pads. They are very popular in the 'states with all varieties of racing.

http://www.performancefriction.com
Old 6 Nov 2000, 15:45 (Ref:46989)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You could be getting fade because you are running quicker. Try running a Mintex MGB 1144. Are you using vented discs?
Old 6 Nov 2000, 19:37 (Ref:47029)   #6
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think I remember David saying that he wasn't allowed to run the vented discs as they weren't homologated for the 510.
I could be wrong.

Also, is it possible the street pads that were available over the last few seasons, might now be considered 'unfriendly' and so now have a different composition?

Just a thought.
Old 29 Nov 2000, 10:39 (Ref:50273)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I now have a friend who works in a brake shop and can get me metal pads very cheaply, he can also get brand new disc rotors very cheaply, so no probs with rotor wear.
Old 29 Nov 2000, 17:49 (Ref:50333)   #8
bobdrummond
Racer

David, you're a tart! Do you know anyone at Jiffy Lube (just in case an oil leak develops)
Old 29 Nov 2000, 19:17 (Ref:50337)   #9
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use Hawk Blue 9012 on stock 1982 Mazda Rx7 rotors.
I'm very happy with them, though they cost over USD100 here in UK. But they last 2/3 season.

Might have a go with MT8 or MT9s this season

Regards
IanC
Old 29 Nov 2000, 21:01 (Ref:50352)   #10
BMWRacerITS
Rookie

BMWRacerITS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here in the States the hot pads for sedan-racing on the club level are:

Hawk Blues
Performace Friction 90

Both offer loads of torque, do not fade, stand up to the heat of racing, and are fairly easy to modulate.