Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Feb 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2129567)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oldtimer GP 2008 GT and Touring Cars

I received this e mail (as I'm sure did other members) from Masters. Whilst it doesn't affect me, I thought it might be good to share it because it might encourage entries and equally it does indicate that tyres/App K is being taken seriously.

Thoughts anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masters Racing Series
Dear Gentlemen Drivers and Top Hatters,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masters Racing Series

Oldtimer Grand Prix 2008– GT & Touring car race on the Nordschleife

We have been asked by the organisers of the Oldtimer Grand Prix to help them develop the final format for this year’s Marathon race at the Oldtimer Grand Prix – and so we need your input and advice

You will recall that in previous years we have had our own Masters 100-minute race on the Nordschleife circuit for Gentleman Drivers and Top Hat Saloon cars. However, for 2008 the organisers wish to make some exciting changes in order to revive the tradition of the famous old Nurburgring 500kms race. We think it could provide you with a new challenge! What do you think? Please read on….

1. Circuit Changes….
The organisers intend to use the full endurance circuit (as per the 24-hour ‘modern’ event), which combines the modern GP circuit and the original Nordschleife. This means that the modern GP circuit pit lane would be used as well as the GP circuit start/finish line. All in all, this would be a big improvement for access and spectators, giving the race a big lift in stature, running on Friday late afternoon and into the early evening.

2. New Tyre Regulations…
The intention is to combine the AvD’s own Oldtimer Marathon and our Masters race, ‘The Nordschleife Challenge’, into one race to make a 500kms revival (race duration approx 3 hours). The AvD have agreed that they will be strictly enforcing the Appendix K rules on cars and tyres, which will mean only Dunlop L and M Section tyres will be allowed. In previous years, drivers have been concerned about the speed differential, as some of the later cars were on modern tyres. This will not happen in 2008. We are assured this ruling will be strictly enforced.

3. Cut-off date to be brought forward?
There is a possibility that if sufficient cars of ‘our pre-66 period’ agree now to enter then the cut-off date for eligibility will be lowered from 1971 to ‘our period’ 1966. So, already we know that all cars will run on L or M Section tyres, but there is also the possibility that cars post-1965 will not compete at all – your views?

Our View?
All in all, we think the changes the organisers intend to make are all for the good and will certainly lead to a fantastic spectacle and a good race in ‘our’ style.

The Options we are asking you to consider
The organisers have therefore given us a couple of options for this event;
1) We could start the race with everyone else in the Marathon, but after approximately 2 hours Masters drivers would be flagged-off. The winners of ‘The Masters Race’ would have their own podium ceremony whilst the 500kms Marathon continues to its end.
2) Alternatively, the organisers have invited us to run the full 500kms, starting and finishing together but then have our own podium ceremony for The Masters race at the end. With the race planned to finish in the dusk, it’s sure to create a great atmosphere! The AvD have also committed to providing an after-race champagne party in the pit lane to follow the podium presentations.

So, we would appreciate your feedback ASAP. Do you wish to;
a) bring your Masters eligible pre-66, Appendix K, GT or Touring cars to this event at all?
b) race for 2 hours as part of ‘our own’ race within the AvD race?
c) or race the full 3 hour / 500kms race ?

....................................................................Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

The Masters Team

Tel: +44 1908 587545
Fax: +44 1908 587009
Email: Team@TheMastersSeries.com
Old 15 Feb 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2129596)   #2
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Circuit Changes….
The organisers intend to use the full endurance circuit (as per the 24-hour ‘modern’ event), which combines the modern GP circuit and the original Nordschleife. This means that the modern GP circuit pit lane would be used as well as the GP circuit start/finish line. All in all, this would be a big improvement for access and spectators, giving the race a big lift in stature, running on Friday late afternoon and into the early evening.

Last year I probably was one of the few people pleased that the Nordschleife events were cancelled - I was expecting to write up the whole meeting for a journal and the previous year had virtually caused a nervous breakdown of epic proportions! It would help integrate the whole meeting and allow everyone the opportunity to view a different experience. I for one like the inclusion of the stadium.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2129765)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Why involve Masters it was pre 66 ,a superb race,and only real change is use of modern circuit.Best of luck ,The change of circuit is a very good idea.
The German direct entry fee was low,assume it will not stay that way!
Old 15 Feb 2008, 19:22 (Ref:2129781)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted yes for the 500km,having competed in the 300 on several occasion's,that uses the New Circuit as well as the Ring,500km? it's got to be better than three,especially on Histo Tyres.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 11:03 (Ref:2130137)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Why involve Masters
A good point. I was using their e mail to raise the issue. I suspect those who normally enter will be aware of the idea anyway. I also note though that if Masters do get heavily involved in terms of numbers it will mean the pre 66 cut off is restored/imposed.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2130149)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Masters got involved about four years ago before the idea of having their own race.The German entry fee was less that year than Masters.I entered via Masters and the odd person took the ....!
Old 22 Apr 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2184269)   #7
Passyutu
Rookie

Passyutu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not belong to either the Gentleman Drivers or Top Hat (although we have run with you as guest team in the past).
I drive the Dodkins Falcon, and we run mostly in German endurance series. Reason for this is that 3 or 4 times a year we can run on 1. the Nordschleife and 2. Spa. It´s probably the best historic endurance series in the world and we can not fathom out why we are the only UK team competing!

This season there are 10 races, 2 on the Nordschl. and also Hockenheim, Assen, Spa, Oschersleben and the Nurburgring GP circuit. Races from 3 to 6 hours.

We often wonder why so many of you trog up to Scotland for a couple of sprint races, when you can get to the Ring almost as quickly! The Falcon comes out from the UK for every race, and goes back afterwards.

Anybody interested can go into their website at www.fhr-langstreckencup.de, unfortunately in German but I will be more than pleased to assist anyone with any info if required. A great series, and although mostly comprised of Germans loads of them speak English so language is no barrier.My email: renexpo@export-sales.org

Ref the OTGP Marathon - great idea to include the GP circuit, and decent pit accomodation at last! It´s the only proper way to do an endurance on the Nordschl.
Why not give yourselves two chances - run in the Masters AND the Marathon. Gives you the chance of 2 podiums! And the champagne prize-giving is worth the race, Chris Chiles and I won outright a few years ago in his GT40 and I have the photos everywhere!

Come on gentlemen, time we showed them who invented it!
Old 22 Apr 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2184309)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have several very good German friends who run in this series,and have to say that it is very tempting,the hospitality from both the drivers and organizers is really extremely good.If theres nothing else that people want to do over here,I thoroughly recomend this as an alternative.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2184436)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Impressed with that name Passyutu..Good to have another proper racer giving his thoughts (as long as you dont use Garrys ideas on how things should be run!)