Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 12 Nov 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2984930)   #226
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly chunterer, you have it in a nutshell right there.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2984973)   #227
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi won the title for Ferrari in 2007!
Old 12 Nov 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2984982)   #228
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yesterday: Frank Williams MTV3 interview about Kimi Raikkonen
Old 12 Nov 2011, 19:20 (Ref:2984987)   #229
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Thank's for posting that was a very positive update...I do hope it works out for both parties concerned as Williams really need a major boost.

There are many fans who love Williams as a company that exists to race F1 cars..I am one of them..
Old 12 Nov 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2985003)   #230
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Kimi won the title for Ferrari in 2007!
But he made massively hard work of it!!!

Alonso wouldn't have had anywhere near that level of difficulty if he was at Maranello or for that matter he didn't have the Mac situation, for example!
Old 12 Nov 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2985023)   #231
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
But he made massively hard work of it!!!
To be fair, i don't think that Kimi made hard work of it, he shouldn't have been in a position to win it anyway. Fernando and Lewis threw it away as oppossed to Kimi winning it.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2985034)   #232
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
To be fair, i don't think that Kimi made hard work of it, he shouldn't have been in a position to win it anyway. Fernando and Lewis threw it away as opposed to Kimi winning it.
And Kimi seized the opportunity with both hands. He would have won in 2008 as well if Ferrari had hadn't inexplicably decided to focus their attention and set the car up for Massa. Great vote of thanks to a driver who's just won the title for you. I think I blame Chris Dyer.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2985056)   #233
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A pair of Williams bookending the grid on the day that Nigel Mansell's pole position record for a single season is equalled. How the mighty have fallen... the worst qualifying for Williams in over 30 years. Does Frank really believe that the solution to his problems is in the driver department ?
Old 12 Nov 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2985059)   #234
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I fear he's severely deluded if he thinks hiring Raikkonen will make any difference.....

Is the prospect of a Raikkonen comeback really that exciting.......?

Old 12 Nov 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2985063)   #235
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
A pair of Williams bookending the grid on the day that Nigel Mansell's pole position record for a single season is equalled. How the mighty have fallen... the worst qualifying for Williams in over 30 years. Does Frank really believe that the solution to his problems is in the driver department ?
You are right that is just a shocking reality, they are pulling at straws to be honest..

The team needs divine intervention at this point, at the same time neither of his present drivers will get anyone excited..

I like Ruben's a great deal but you can not slag off the team to the media, they will take any snippet of negativity and make the most out of it..
Old 12 Nov 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2985069)   #236
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst i admit its a bad car by Williams past standards you have to remember that it has been into Q3 on occasion this year, so its hardly an HRT is it, i think they can get themselves back into the front midfield again, maybe score regular points with the right driver, if thats Kimi, not sure. The glory years of Williams do seem a very long time ago now though.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2985072)   #237
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
[QUOTE=cds_uk;2985069 The glory years of Williams do seem a very long time ago now though. [/QUOTE]

That can change in a flash though as Sir Frank and Patrick both know what it takes..
Old 12 Nov 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2985081)   #238
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/kolumnit/276920.html
Quote:
Close your eyes, Kimi!

Turun Sanomat 13.11.2011 00:07:30

My reporter buddy Alan Baldwin wrote after Abu Dhabi qualification on his twitter: "Don't look here, Kimi".

Why not? Well because this is the first time in the history when Williams-cars have to start from the back to a GP. Baldwin came up with a joking slogan about how the result better not be shown to the driver who they want in the team.

Williams bottom rock this season is a harsh fact. When I asked the team's other founder Patrick Head if he remembers the cars ever being in the back row, he shook his head and assured it has never happened before.

And if it has, then a painful information like that has at least been wiped out of his memory.

In a way this grid result comes at a bad time. The future big sponsors from Qatar are at the paddock as the team's guests. With these kind of positions they won't at least speed up those negotiations which already are about to be finished.

Williams has had an awkwardly bad season. Head was asked what the main reason for the catastrophy is, but according to him it's the sum of many factors. When the reliability has plagued the whole team this season Williams hasn't got any kind of compensation for their positions behind the top 10.

By changing Rubens Barrichello into Räikkönen it would in some way at least shake up the team to shape up. I heard from the inside circle that the mechanics in Williams already have a tough competition over who gets in the team operating around Kimi's car. The spirit is that it will definitely be fun in Kimi's team.

Frank Williams is still the master in his team. They were a bit astonished over the way he replied on Friday evening to two questions presented by Finnish reporters.

When I asked in FIA: s official press conference if he is interested in taking Räikkönen as his driver, he replied that he won't comment on the rumours.

When MTV3 asked the same from him in their own exclusive interview, filmed by two cameramen, he said that it's not a secret that they are very interested in getting Räikkönen.

This or that. I guess that Räikkönen's rallying career at least ended to his retirement in Wales on Saturday.

Turun Sanomat, Abu Dhabi

HEIKKI KULTA
Old 12 Nov 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2985094)   #239
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a sad moment for Williams.

Don't go there Kimi.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 00:15 (Ref:2985102)   #240
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
He would have won in 2008 as well if Ferrari had hadn't inexplicably decided to focus their attention and set the car up for Massa. Great vote of thanks to a driver who's just won the title for you. I think I blame Chris Dyer.
I'm sure that Ferrari backed Massa because they believed that he had the better chance.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 00:16 (Ref:2985103)   #241
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi rolled the Citroen in the first of the Saturday stages in Wales.
He won't be restarting, so he can be in Abu Dhabi if they want to make an announcement.
Not exactly good Karma though is it?
Old 13 Nov 2011, 00:29 (Ref:2985107)   #242
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm sure that Ferrari backed Massa because they believed that he had the better chance.
Why?

I remember a video of the 2008 car being given its shakedown at Fiorano. Kimi drove it and was the centre of attention, but then it seemed all to change.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 00:58 (Ref:2985119)   #243
Mr V
Veteran

England
6 victories to Kimi's 2 might be a good indication
Old 13 Nov 2011, 02:15 (Ref:2985149)   #244
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Either deliberately or otherwise, you're missing the point. Räikkönen had 6 wins in 2007 and could perfectly well have repeated or improved on that in 2008 if the team had not decided to put its weight behind Massa and produce a car to his liking, but not Räikkönen's. In the races the car would eventually change to Kimi's liking, which is why he set a record 10 fastest laps that season (for the second time) but by then it was it was too late to do anything about the race wins.

Anyway, enough of all this. You have your opinion and I have mine and ne'er the twain shall meet.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2985517)   #245
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

Anyway, enough of all this. You have your opinion and I have mine and ne'er the twain shall meet.
Indeed we do, and i'm not trying to argue with you as i want to see Kimi return next season, but i wonder where your proof is that they designed the car for Felipe? I don't understand the reasoning for it. Ferrari effectively push Michael out (i don't believe this "i decided to retire for Felipe" for one minute rubbish), Kimi becomes the worlds 2nd highest sports earner behind Tiger Woods, yet the team design the car for his poorly paid team mate? I have to say that i find that hard to believe.

Or maybe i'm just missing the point (which most of us seem to do when it comes to Kimi apparently).
Old 13 Nov 2011, 12:30 (Ref:2985523)   #246
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Indeed we do, and i'm not trying to argue with you as i want to see Kimi return next season, but i wonder where your proof is that they designed the car for Felipe? I don't understand the reasoning for it. Ferrari effectively push Michael out (i don't believe this "i decided to retire for Felipe" for one minute rubbish), Kimi becomes the worlds 2nd highest sports earner behind Tiger Woods, yet the team design the car for his poorly paid team mate? I have to say that i find that hard to believe.

Or maybe i'm just missing the point (which most of us seem to do when it comes to Kimi apparently).
I know I'm totally biased where Kimi is concerned

I don't know why they decided to set the car up for Massa either. I wish I did.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2985531)   #247
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a mystery of all times, but maybe "someone" here that knows all the answers can solve this...
Old 13 Nov 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2985601)   #248
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Strider, are you at liberty to show us anything regarding how they set it up for Massa as opposed to Raikkonen? I've heard it from yourself and others, but never seen about how in what way it was the case and why it might have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post

It will mean we have another champion. In fairness, the thread is long because we keep discussing it. If that makes it seem overhyped, it's because people keep returning to the thread.

Last edited by Born Racer; 13 Nov 2011 at 16:00.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2985606)   #249
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Strider, are you at liberty to show us anything regarding how they set it up for Massa as opposed to Raikkonen? I've heard it from yourself and others, but never seen about how in what way it was the case and why it might have been.
Sadly, I have no idea. I know the difference was that Massa is better at coping with understeer and that was the car's characteristic. It was when it finally went away in the races that Kimi came good.

The only other thing I know was that the Ferrari had a longer wheelbase in '08 than in '07 and that McLaren went the other way.

Obviously I'm like a sponge at soaking up information about Kimi, but I've never seen or read any proper explanation. Sorry.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2985622)   #250
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well I fear he's severely deluded if he thinks hiring Raikkonen will make any difference.....

No worse than having Rubens on track in my opinion.