Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2285895)   #1
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First proper post, critique welcomed

Having visited on and off for a while I'm amazed I didn't sign up sooner, so much to read here!

Anyhow, I've been using a DSLR and taking my photography 'seriously' for exactly 2 years now, I usually get opinions from the same few people all the time so I would love some constructive criticism, tips, suggestions etc on how it's going and where I can go from here. All are from behind the fence, I'm not interested in the financial side of things, just love taking photos.

I've added a cross section of the general style of my photos below. One area I know needs massive improvement is my white balance/metering/colour, and as of the last 3 or 4 months, I've started using Photoshop so hopefully over time my post-processing will improve.

All can be viewed properly here: http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/5925799_MCW88

All taken with a Nikon D50 with either a Sigma 70-300 DG or Nikon 80-200 2.8.

Thanks for looking,

Chris.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:23 (Ref:2285973)   #2
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris, you know full well my opinion. So creative, especially that MG.

Not sure bout the angle on the Seat, though, bit steep.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2286084)   #3
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
That sidecar one is mesmeric. The sheen and sharpness of the blue, the contrast with the red and the impression of speed without fuss from the background. Wow.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2286085)   #4
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Get BETTER?!?!?! Oh good grief.

MORE competition from a D50 user.

You aren't under 20 as well are you????
Old 9 Sep 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2286103)   #5
ukaskew
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Get BETTER?!?!?! Oh good grief.

MORE competition from a D50 user.

You aren't under 20 as well are you????

The good news is I passed 20 a couple of years ago
Old 11 Sep 2008, 08:36 (Ref:2286935)   #6
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"...so much to read here"....did you bother to read the rules of regarding the postings of too many images on a thread? It seems not. Whilst it is always great to have members posting good and bad pictures for all to see PLEASE read the rules 1st. Any further multiple picture postings as this will see the person banned without any warning. All forums have rules to be read and adhered to so please take a minute before posting to check ours out-it will save a lot of frustration later on,

Thank you all,

Baz (Mod)
Old 11 Sep 2008, 16:13 (Ref:2287292)   #7
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Baz
"...so much to read here"....did you bother to read the rules of regarding the postings of too many images on a thread? It seems not. Whilst it is always great to have members posting good and bad pictures for all to see PLEASE read the rules 1st. Any further multiple picture postings as this will see the person banned without any warning. All forums have rules to be read and adhered to so please take a minute before posting to check ours out-it will save a lot of frustration later on,

Thank you all,

Baz (Mod)

Quite obviously rules are rules, but IMO a bit of tact with a new member wouldn't go a miss. Bad day or something?
Old 11 Sep 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2287473)   #8
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
Quite obviously rules are rules, but IMO a bit of tact with a new member wouldn't go a miss. Bad day or something?
I second that.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2287566)   #9
ukaskew
Racer

My apologies, I did bother to read the rules before I posted, and found this...

It is not intended as an image gallery so we will ask you to keep the number of images posted to a sensible level.

Wherever possible we ask that you store them on an external server and use the [ img ] [ / img ] tags to link to them. We remind you of our limit of 400 x 400 pixels per image and that we reserve the right to remove images which break that rule and/or close/remove topics which are turning into a simple image gallery.

I figured for an initial post, it would be ok to post a selection as long as I stuck to the 400pix rule, I felt this was "sensible" as there is no quoted limit and on other forums around 10 is usually the accepted norm.

I also viewed other threads first to get an idea of what's going on, having looked through the "best photo" thread in detail pretty much every single page has images well over 400pix wide. In fact my ten images combined use less bandwidth than many single pictures in that particular thread.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2287603)   #10
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Chill out. He's just biting your bum because he can.