Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Feb 2010, 05:15 (Ref:2629683)   #26
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HTH does he 'contradict himself'? Nowhere did he say it was the 'most important event' merely that are 'great for WA and the club'.

Plus they very plainly state the following:

Quote:
Does the track rely on the V8s? No it doesn’t
And obviously you are right on top of things with this:

Quote:
Obviously the W.A Government has plently of money in its coffers otherwise how can the W.A Government justify spending hundreds of millions of dollars on an Air Race of all things.
The RBAR has NEVER been a substitute or replacement for the V8's - it replaced the WRC and, without getting into the arguments of the WRC being ditched, it filled the WRC's shoes exactly as it was meant to - international exposure. Something the V8's cannot and do not provide.

Last edited by NewsStalker; 9 Feb 2010 at 05:15. Reason: damned keyoard :(
Old 9 Feb 2010, 06:27 (Ref:2629689)   #27
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVDT View Post
In one breath Rick Gill states the V8s are great for W.A and the club, but he basically contradicts himself saying "but it's not the most important event." This is much the same response that Mr Tetley gave VESA no wonder VESA were ticked off even though Mr Tetley used every excuse he could find to blame VESA.
Why is it a contradiction. He is saying it is an important event that they would like to keep however it is not 'the' most important event that requires risking the the future of its other events that support the venue for 350 days a year.

V8SA and some of its supporters need to get out of the bubble they exist in and realise that circuit owners do not live and exist for a 3 day V8 event each year.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 06:43 (Ref:2629696)   #28
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well said HSVDT (well your first post, not so much your second post)

The wA government have been asked to fix the track, not last year, not the year before but nearly ten years ago, the v8s agreed to a medium term contract which they have honoured and even extended The track was able to leverage a resurface of this contract (i imagaine the other catagories on 350 days a year (unlikely to be that much) and thats been it,

Blame the WA government for this, they have their chance they bluffed and bluffed, and now they have lost and because of them the WA race fans have lost

you have to laugh at the people on here who call V8SA weak because they wont leave and when they do leave, well its all V8SA fault,
Old 9 Feb 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2629699)   #29
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And you have to laugh at people who always think it is everybody else's fault except V8SA.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 07:30 (Ref:2629703)   #30
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
why?

what have they done? everything i have said. try and dispute it, and if you try you are lying to yourself.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 09:46 (Ref:2629755)   #31
Fox 42
Rookie

Fox 42 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the WASCC just spilt the beans on the News.

VESA wants 500,000 this year in santion fees, increasing to 950,000 by 2014.

Who's gonna pick up that bill? Ticket and a pit pass on a Sunday at Barbagallo are alreay over $100. Numbers are already down, due to high ticket prices, but who would be able to pay nearly double that?

The Club does not make anywere near enough profit to pay that bill.

So I guess VESA want the Government and Tax payers to bay the bill.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 09:56 (Ref:2629758)   #32
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
so 15 out of every ticket, nice, where does the other 85 go
Old 9 Feb 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2629773)   #33
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post

I think the OH&S problem with Wanneroo is to do with having to drive the cars thought the fairly crowded, as in people walking around shares the same road as the race cars to move around the back area of the pits when the v8s leave their garages to come down to pit lane..

Stooge,
The Sandown 500 was close to being shut down by WorkSafe Victoria in 2005, but a number of motorsport officials (some with experience as OHS professionals ) were asked by members of the event organising committee to get on board to help Davo our of the hole he had dug himself. (without a permit, I must add !)

End result, (still) sees a controlled group of race cars, separated from the pedestrians in the pit/paddock area, and everyone is happy.
I'm damm sure that some of those same people could well assist Barbagello solve some of it's alleged problems ! (PM me for an address to send plane tickets)

OHS, isn't just paperwork Nazis in short sleeve polyester Gloweave shirts:

It is about controlling (and sometimes having to remove) risk.
Thank christ the authorities have agreed to stay behind the barriers at race events, and leave the racing alone !

FWIW, I am of the belief that those Turtle-neck disciples are using OHS as their scapegoat.
They have given the WASCC a very public, below the belt kick !
Wouldn't it be nice to see them tell the truth, (for a change) and let the world know why they really choose to jettison an event. ( Filthy Lucre)

Just ask John Tetley !
Old 9 Feb 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2629774)   #34
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVDT View Post
If all the VESA knockers think VESA are to blame then think again..........,

Obviously the W.A Government has plently of money in its coffers otherwise how can the W.A Government justify spending hundreds of millions of dollars on an Air Race of all things.

The same application can apply to the W.A Government spending money to upgrade the Barbagallo but NO they have sunk there own boat by showing that they weren't really interested in retaining the V8 race and they don't give a damn about how the fans are going to feel.

VESA have worked endlessly for several years now to try and get all parties involved to come to some sort of agreement so that Barbagallo receives the upgrades, but the W.A Government obviously prefers the Air race more than the V8's yet the ridiculous thing is they could have had both with some minimal compromise.

Maybe, Just Maybe, the W.A. government have worked out that an Air Race (of all things) brings far more INTERNATIONAL exposure to the state, than 31 tin-pot, (sorry) tin-top race cars do !

Back to the VESA cube farm for you HSVDT and your pandering.

BTW: Come on in Peckie, I await you reply.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2629779)   #35
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Im not sure what you mean

im guessing you think that v8sa is a charity though and should go to tracks just to help out the tracks

which is of course why v8sa was formed in the first place, because they were sick of going to tracks who made all the money and the teams saw hardly anything

like i said out of the so called news article from fox 15 goes to the series, wheer does the other 85 go

plus as i said v8sa have been saying ohs for 6 years, nothing done by the club or the government
Old 9 Feb 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2629807)   #36
Fox 42
Rookie

I am guessing you think the WASCC is a charity and should do what ever V8supercars want to help V8supercars.

Were did I say only $15 a ticket goes to the $500,000 sanction fee.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2629815)   #37
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
you didnt say it, you said tickets cost $100, take the crowd size (i guessed 30k) divide it into $500,000 sanction fee thats about $15, so that leaves $85 for the club less its costs

techincally WASCC is a not for profit, not quite a charity, but the next best thing, they dont have to pay tax, unlike V8SA

but as they were getting most of the money from your ticket, they should have been able to cope.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2629842)   #38
Fox 42
Rookie

Not only do VESA want to increase the fee from $500,000 now to $950,000 by 2014.
They also want full Advertising rights for the event.
And Ban BYO Beer and Spirits.

This seems so stupidly unreasonable.

Either VESA want the state governtment to pay for the event, to fill there own pockets, like they do In Queensland, Hidden Valley, Tasmania or any street race.
Or VESA have over committed to 16 rounds including the AGP, and need to back out of one.
Old 9 Feb 2010, 13:55 (Ref:2629874)   #39
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
Stooge,
The Sandown 500 was close to being shut down by WorkSafe Victoria in 2005, but a number of motorsport officials (some with experience as OHS professionals ) were asked by members of the event organising committee to get on board to help Davo our of the hole he had dug himself. (without a permit, I must add !)

End result, (still) sees a controlled group of race cars, separated from the pedestrians in the pit/paddock area, and everyone is happy.
I'm damm sure that some of those same people could well assist Barbagello solve some of it's alleged problems ! (PM me for an address to send plane tickets)

OHS, isn't just paperwork Nazis in short sleeve polyester Gloweave shirts:

It is about controlling (and sometimes having to remove) risk.
Thank christ the authorities have agreed to stay behind the barriers at race events, and leave the racing alone !

FWIW, I am of the belief that those Turtle-neck disciples are using OHS as their scapegoat.
They have given the WASCC a very public, below the belt kick !
Wouldn't it be nice to see them tell the truth, (for a change) and let the world know why they really choose to jettison an event. ( Filthy Lucre)

Just ask John Tetley !

Personally I am fine with race cars being driven around pits, I was exposed to it at a very young age and spent alot of time around pits without issues You only have to go to a race meeting in say Germany to realise how out of control our OH&S is, I was just bring up one of the OH&S points that I have heard was a issue at Wanneroo
Old 9 Feb 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2630160)   #40
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
The wA government have been asked to fix the track, not last year, not the year before but nearly ten years ago, the v8s agreed to a medium term contract which they have honoured and even extended The track was able to leverage a resurface of this contract (i imagaine the other catagories on 350 days a year (unlikely to be that much) and thats been it,

Blame the WA government for this, they have their chance they bluffed and bluffed, and now they have lost and because of them the WA race fans have lost
And if you actually check, you will find they DID do what they were asked to do - but like everything else with V8SCA the goal posts keep getting moved.

They wanted changes made in the paddock area - these WERE made.

They wanted the track surface fixed - the entire track WAS re-surfaced.

They wanted the pit lane widened - the pit lane WAS widened.

They wanted pit entry and exit changed - they WERE changed.

But then, afterwards, they wanted more (hmmmm V8's need a driver named Oliver so this musical actually has a title character driving - Please sir - we want more (and we want it yesterday!!!)
Old 9 Feb 2010, 20:51 (Ref:2630166)   #41
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
you didnt say it, you said tickets cost $100, take the crowd size (i guessed 30k) divide it into $500,000 sanction fee thats about $15, so that leaves $85 for the club less its costs
I've just realised that peckstar is actuall an accountant - plays with figures that bear no relationship to reality!

Even if (and that's a very big IF) the crowd is 30,000 (BTW you talking Sunday only or all 3 days?) - how many of these do you think are actually paid-for tickets?

Crowd guesstimates include, but not limited to:

All cxompetitor passes - depending on category - driver plus team/crew plus 'guest' tickets for each
Officials plus 1 or 2 guest passes per official (if you're lucky)
Sponsors of the event - who knows how many of these there are
Workers - ie non-officials such as security, corporate 'putter-onners' etc
Police - always included in the numbers because they help 'boost the numbers'

The above - no charges made - no money collected. Work out yourself how many you think this number might actually be - but use at least 4 digits before the decimal point.

Corporates - sold as packages which bear no lreationship to actual ticket prices.

And finally - the 'give-a-ways' - tickets provided for event promotion through radio, newspapers, sponsors etc. Plenty of these go around without being realised.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 07:38 (Ref:2630424)   #42
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
few more moves yet on Barbagallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Im not sure what you mean

im guessing you think that v8sa is a charity though and should go to tracks just to help out the tracks
which is of course why v8sa was formed in the first place, because they were sick of going to tracks who made all the money and the teams saw hardly anything

like i said out of the so called news article from fox 15 goes to the series, wheer does the other 85 go

plus as i said v8sa have been saying ohs for 6 years, nothing done by the club or the government
commercial value

VESA are a commercial enterprise & they've walked from WA, they've reduced the product given it is no longer a national sport like AFL, even IF they've improved the 2010 profitability.

It might be worth viewing this article on TV rights ...http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...-1225827463735
and particularly where our sport ranks:
The two biggest television networks in Australia are going so hard for the NRL and AFL free-to-air rights that Seven boss Leckie believes other sports will suffer.

"Cricket, rugby and soccer will all be sidelined by these deals," Leckie said. "Whoever gets the AFL deal will pay too much. Whoever gets the league rights will pay too much.

"It will leave nothing for the rest of them."

Channel 7 view is not positive from what I heard today & Westrac are rescheduling the Head Office function around an AFL game.

The Fairfax view:
A bitter wrangle over money between the V8 bosses and WA motorsport, rather than the state of the Barbagallo Raceway, is said to be behind the decision to strip Perth of its Supercar event.

A war of words broke out yesterday between the Supercar competition and the WA Sporting Car Club (WASCC), who claim they had a deadline of this morning to definitively reply to the V8's demands for the sanction fee for this year's race – believed to be average out to around $600,000 per year.

Instead, government officials – and thousands of fans - were left stunned after the Supercar hierarchy announced the Perth races, pencilled in for June, would not go ahead.

The real effect for V8 Supercars will come home when Holden/Ford/Castrol/Jack Daniels/Jim Beam type national marketing budgets are reviewed later this year & the WA reps want money transferred from motorsport into AFL, into Super14/15, A League.
The Westrac event planned for Barbagallo is being transferred to a Fremantle Dockers AFL fixture as the West Coast Eagles dont have room in 2010 for the crowd Westrac invite from the mining industry.

Interesting days ahead as the WA has never flinched before when Coch0 preached hell & brimstone. Maybe the conversation between Messrs Stokes (7) & Erskine (SEL) will bear fruit, but I think not!

Last edited by cavvy; 10 Feb 2010 at 07:51. Reason: surely WASCC will pay more for membership to increase VESA profits
Old 12 Feb 2010, 03:07 (Ref:2631919)   #43
aussiemuscle308
Rookie

aussiemuscle308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The v8 cars have a FOX sticker on the rear door window along with v8supercars and seven, right? how come i've never seen it broadcast on Fox sports? (not an ungodly hour anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyinsthoz View Post
And you have to laugh at people who always think it is everybody else's fault except V8SA.
The buck has to stop somewhere
Old 12 Feb 2010, 10:26 (Ref:2632041)   #44
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemuscle308 View Post
The v8 cars have a FOX sticker on the rear door window along with v8supercars and seven, right? how come i've never seen it broadcast on Fox sports? (not an ungodly hour anyway)

Not any more, the deal with Foxsports ended about 2 years ago.
Old 13 Feb 2010, 05:09 (Ref:2632556)   #45
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WA Sporting Car Club Media release 13th February 2010

V8 SUPERCAR EVENT

The WA Sporting Car Club is disappointed that V8 Supercars have made a decision not to come to Perth this year. What is more disappointing is that this was announced on Monday 8th despite the V8s imposed deadline of Tuesday 9th 1:00 PM Queensland time, and the fact that we have still not been formally advised by V8Supercars as of 9am Saturday 13th February 2010.

“The main area of concern for the WASCC was a requirement to lock into a five year agreement. As each year has passed, the business case for the V8’s is becoming increasingly marginal. General Manager of the WASCC, Peter Thornell stated “The June long weekend was always going to be a big ask, given the number of other motor sport events on over that weekend! ,and this is in addition to the requirement for us to run two V8 events (and pay huge V8 sanction fees of more than $ 1 Million within the seven months of the two events). Nearly all of our corporate clientele only budget for a once in a financial year V8 Supercar event.

Mr Thornell further outlined the following:

The V8s offer of assistance to help out with our upgrade and new track - as late as last week our consultants (GHD) were in Queensland in an attempt to work with the V8’s, so as to ascertain what they required to improve the in-field. We were disappointed that we had to rely on the State Government to follow up on offers that were made by the V8’s last November. These promises of assistance have not materialised. These improvements were supposedly to be in place for the 2011 V8 event.

It would be commercially irresponsible for the WASCC to accept the terms of the sanctioning agreement that the V8’s were demanding. The WASCC has made it clear that they can only commit to a deal that is in best interests of the club membership, a position supported by the State Government.

While the V8’s have stated they have reduced the sanction fee in 2010, that fee would almost double (plus 90 %) over the 5 year agreement. An increase that is difficult to justify, given the V8’s have not committed to the minimum number of support events they would include in the program. Based on the recent evidence i.e. number of competing teams/cars, attendance and subsequent falling revenues, there is no business case that can support the financial commitment that the club would have to make.
We feel these demands would put the club at great risk of incurring significant financial losses. This would not to be in the best interests of our members or for motorsport in Western Australia.

It is the wider implication that risking a large amount of our club finances would create. To promote an event, which in recent years has been shrinking and the growing uncertainty going forward does little to build confidence in a five year V8 future! In the last year alone, we have witnessed the dramatic drop in attendance numbers. In 2008 we had around 65,000 attendees, sadly in 2009 this has plummeted to around 32,500. Further to this, we again witness the drop in V8 teams and cars competing, down to just 28 cars as listed this week on the V8 Supercar website. This is all further compounded by lack of V8 visiting support categories, the 2008 event had our spectators enjoying, many more categories like the V8 utes, the Australian Formula Ford Championship, Australian Porsche Carrera cup, just to name a few. In 2009 we were to see just 14 Minis as the V8 support act.

V8 Drivers love our track, they love coming to Perth, and it is extremely disappointing that an Eastern States company had made a decision to remove Barbagallo from their calendar. Even more disappointing is the fact that this was done before their own imposed deadline and while the WASCC was still in discussion with them. It is apparent they simply have been paying us lip service only!

We had even taken the initiative to offer the V8’s the opportunity to run the event themselves (as they do in some other States), on the same terms they wanted us to commit to. They found this to be unacceptable.

The State Government has been wonderful in assisting us, as the V8’ meeting is merely one event per year on the Barbagallo Raceway calendar and, while some will say it is a big event – our focus is on developing motorsport in this State and attracting new and exciting opportunities, including the upgrade of facilities for use by the sport.

WASCC has not approached the State for funding. Specifically for the V8 events. We do not think it is appropriate to do so.

The WA State Government has a strong commitment to motorsport demonstrated by the recent $5 million commitment to upgrade facilities at Barbagallo Raceway and the adoption of a longer-term plan for the facility.

The V8 Supercar Championship Series is a popular event that we would all like to see continued in WA but on reasonable terms.

Further Information contact,
Peter Thornell
General Manager
WA Sporting Car Club
9306 8022
Old 13 Feb 2010, 06:06 (Ref:2632560)   #46
NewsStalker
Veteran

Ding - go to your corners...Round 1 - Points to WASCC.

Get ready for Round 2 - come out fighting!
Old 13 Feb 2010, 07:25 (Ref:2632565)   #47
platinum motors
Rookie

Australia
Perth, WA
platinum motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to the WASCC !!!!
Old 13 Feb 2010, 07:59 (Ref:2632569)   #48
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

VESA want access to taxpayer funding, see the successful strategy at QR.

They have never understood how to do business in WA which is a shame for WA fans.

Next round has to involve sponsors putting the hard word on the teams directly to go to WA or have their budgets cut.
Old 13 Feb 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2632772)   #49
HSVDT
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
HSVDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivola View Post
WA Sporting Car Club Media release 13th February 2010

V8 SUPERCAR EVENT

The WA Sporting Car Club is disappointed that V8 Supercars have made a decision not to come to Perth this year. What is more disappointing is that this was announced on Monday 8th despite the V8s imposed deadline of Tuesday 9th 1:00 PM Queensland time, and the fact that we have still not been formally advised by V8Supercars as of 9am Saturday 13th February 2010.

“The main area of concern for the WASCC was a requirement to lock into a five year agreement. As each year has passed, the business case for the V8’s is becoming increasingly marginal. General Manager of the WASCC, Peter Thornell stated “The June long weekend was always going to be a big ask, given the number of other motor sport events on over that weekend! ,and this is in addition to the requirement for us to run two V8 events (and pay huge V8 sanction fees of more than $ 1 Million within the seven months of the two events). Nearly all of our corporate clientele only budget for a once in a financial year V8 Supercar event.

Mr Thornell further outlined the following:

The V8s offer of assistance to help out with our upgrade and new track - as late as last week our consultants (GHD) were in Queensland in an attempt to work with the V8’s, so as to ascertain what they required to improve the in-field. We were disappointed that we had to rely on the State Government to follow up on offers that were made by the V8’s last November. These promises of assistance have not materialised. These improvements were supposedly to be in place for the 2011 V8 event.

It would be commercially irresponsible for the WASCC to accept the terms of the sanctioning agreement that the V8’s were demanding. The WASCC has made it clear that they can only commit to a deal that is in best interests of the club membership, a position supported by the State Government.

While the V8’s have stated they have reduced the sanction fee in 2010, that fee would almost double (plus 90 %) over the 5 year agreement. An increase that is difficult to justify, given the V8’s have not committed to the minimum number of support events they would include in the program. Based on the recent evidence i.e. number of competing teams/cars, attendance and subsequent falling revenues, there is no business case that can support the financial commitment that the club would have to make.
We feel these demands would put the club at great risk of incurring significant financial losses. This would not to be in the best interests of our members or for motorsport in Western Australia.

It is the wider implication that risking a large amount of our club finances would create. To promote an event, which in recent years has been shrinking and the growing uncertainty going forward does little to build confidence in a five year V8 future! In the last year alone, we have witnessed the dramatic drop in attendance numbers. In 2008 we had around 65,000 attendees, sadly in 2009 this has plummeted to around 32,500. Further to this, we again witness the drop in V8 teams and cars competing, down to just 28 cars as listed this week on the V8 Supercar website. This is all further compounded by lack of V8 visiting support categories, the 2008 event had our spectators enjoying, many more categories like the V8 utes, the Australian Formula Ford Championship, Australian Porsche Carrera cup, just to name a few. In 2009 we were to see just 14 Minis as the V8 support act.

V8 Drivers love our track, they love coming to Perth, and it is extremely disappointing that an Eastern States company had made a decision to remove Barbagallo from their calendar. Even more disappointing is the fact that this was done before their own imposed deadline and while the WASCC was still in discussion with them. It is apparent they simply have been paying us lip service only!

We had even taken the initiative to offer the V8’s the opportunity to run the event themselves (as they do in some other States), on the same terms they wanted us to commit to. They found this to be unacceptable.

The State Government has been wonderful in assisting us, as the V8’ meeting is merely one event per year on the Barbagallo Raceway calendar and, while some will say it is a big event – our focus is on developing motorsport in this State and attracting new and exciting opportunities, including the upgrade of facilities for use by the sport.

WASCC has not approached the State for funding. Specifically for the V8 events. We do not think it is appropriate to do so.

The WA State Government has a strong commitment to motorsport demonstrated by the recent $5 million commitment to upgrade facilities at Barbagallo Raceway and the adoption of a longer-term plan for the facility.

The V8 Supercar Championship Series is a popular event that we would all like to see continued in WA but on reasonable terms.

Further Information contact,
Peter Thornell
General Manager
WA Sporting Car Club
9306 8022
Quote:
In the last year alone, we have witnessed the dramatic drop in attendance numbers. In 2008 we had around 65,000 attendees, sadly in 2009 this has plummeted to around 32,500. Further to this, we again witness the drop in V8 teams and cars competing, down to just 28 cars as listed this week on the V8 Supercar website. This is all further compounded by lack of V8 visiting support categories, the 2008 event had our spectators enjoying, many more categories like the V8 utes, the Australian Formula Ford Championship, Australian Porsche Carrera cup, just to name a few.
No wonder VESA dumped W.A for 2010, Mr Thornell has said the WASCC don't want to risk there funds which basically says that the WASCC has very little funds yet there demanding a hell of a lot for a small club thats already on a tight budget.

This is NOT VESA's fault due to VESA being a fully compliant FIA championship, with this said tracks these days need to conform to the FIA specs for the particular FIA compliant championship that uses that track therefore the big $$$$$$ are needed and it has been quite common practice for the last 5 years for tracks to become FIA spec tracks. A good example of this is Eastern Creek as its classified as a Grade 2 FIA Spec track, the only reason why the V8s ain't there is due to the current organizers the ARDC, also its well documented that VESA refuses to go to Eastern creek whilst its being run by the ARDC.

If the W.A Government has such a strong commitment to motorsport and demonstrated with the recent $5 million commitment to upgrade facilities at Barbagallo then surely the W.A Government should have no problem finding the money to bring the Barbagallo circuit up to a Grade 2 FIA Spec track and have the V8s return each year.

The above media release of the WASCC lists some high demands and to a point VESA's sanctioning fees maybe high, but if the W.A Government really wants to resolve this they need to act on it now by spending money on the Barbagallo track to bring it up to FIA standards otherwise within 12 months VESA could easily announce that the V8s won't return to W.A period. The ideal thing would be to see someone akin to Lindsay Fox or James Packer to buy out the WASCC and start from scratch and rebuild the entire track, pitbays, and every other facility that is there to bring it up to FIA standards as it's a win win situation for everyone.
Old 13 Feb 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2632791)   #50
NewsStalker
Veteran

Have to say that reply is the biggest load of hogwash I have read for ages. If the track isn't up to the requirements then it won;t have a track licence.

It does and it is.

The sooner this BS about 'track not being up to scratch' is shown for what it is the better.