Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Dec 2011, 00:17 (Ref:2994877)   #51
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moffat nearly ran over that official loitering in the middle of pit lane exit, Sydney R1!

Old 4 Dec 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2994973)   #52
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Moffat nearly ran over that official loitering in the middle of pit lane exit, Sydney R1!

Ive always struggled with having a person sitting out there in the open in that spot

its only a matter of time until they get hit, admittingly only at 40kmh, but be confident i never want to be hit at 40kmh
Old 4 Dec 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2995017)   #53
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Ive always struggled with having a person sitting out there in the open in that spot

its only a matter of time until they get hit, admittingly only at 40kmh, but be confident i never want to be hit at 40kmh
Hang on a second, you have a problem with an official at the exit of speed controlled pit lane, but you think that it is ok for cars to race around to catch the Safety Car while there are trackside workers? Did I miss something there?
Old 4 Dec 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2995020)   #54
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Hang on a second, you have a problem with an official at the exit of speed controlled pit lane,
It's dumb to stand there. No one pays anyone to take that risk. If it the speed is limited, you cannot predict what happens if cars make contact, lose their brakes, drop oil etc... standing in the middle of pit lane exit like that is like being a human bowling pin.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2995183)   #55
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He doesn't stand "in the middle of pit Lane exit" !

Pit Lane Exit is on DRIVERS' RIGHT of the red cone (ie. left of the cone in that shot)
Old 4 Dec 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2995207)   #56
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
He doesn't stand "in the middle of pit Lane exit" !

Pit Lane Exit is on DRIVERS' RIGHT of the red cone (ie. left of the cone in that shot)

Take a look at the photo, YES HE DOES
Old 4 Dec 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2995213)   #57
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No he isn't.

The VE$A official is standing well clear of the Pit Exit as the drivers MUST go on the other side of the witches hat to where he is standing.

The question should be asked is why the car is heading to the wrong side of the witches hat.

Of course this isn't the first time Moff Jr has tried to run over officials after ignoring two laps worth of Red Lights at the Winton Test Day a few years ago and nearly hitting the Safety Team members who were removing a car from the Turn 3 gravel trap.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 22:35 (Ref:2995233)   #58
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
PVDA, you need to look at the photo, yes he is (well actually in that photo he is standing on the race track where the speed is unrestricted, even dumber hey (and i dont blame him for it, thats the stupid naive rule that we have)

and while i understand that he has to go on the correct side of a plastic cone, the fact is that pit lane is this big wide strip of bitumin/concrete and he is standing in the dead centre of this strip of bitumin/concrete without any form of protection apart from a plastic cone

Cars particularly from the first few pit bays have to merge into the flow of cars going passed and if they should happen to be released at a bad time, which has been happening for many years then they end up the wrong side of the cone (as per the photo)

Its dangerous and should have been fixed years ago

We dont put flaggies out 6 inches from the track withoout any protection, on the assumption that they are safe because they are off the track, why do we do it here in pit lane

Alternately, get rid of pit stops and have shorter races, problem solved (although a stupid idea)
Old 5 Dec 2011, 00:56 (Ref:2995296)   #59
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why all the huff & puff about a VESA official being on the "stop/go" ?
All decent tracks have lights that can do the same thing, 'cept Timmy wants to be in control, hence HIS placement of a VESA person at that point...If he/she gets run over, then Timmy will be to blame.

I say bring back Vinny (the monster truckie) he never used to get in the way of the cars when he was the VESA pit-exit guy.....(he was too busy trying to chat up da girlz...)
Old 5 Dec 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2995297)   #60
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker View Post
Why all the huff & puff about a VESA official being on the "stop/go" ?
All decent tracks have lights that can do the same thing, 'cept Timmy wants to be in control, hence HIS placement of a VESA person at that point...If he/she gets run over, then Timmy will be to blame.

I say bring back Vinny (the monster truckie) he never used to get in the way of the cars when he was the VESA pit-exit guy.....(he was too busy trying to chat up da girlz...)
Jjust asking, because i dont know, what do you need a stop/go person for in a v8 race?
Old 5 Dec 2011, 01:13 (Ref:2995298)   #61
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Jjust asking, because i dont know, what do you need a stop/go person for in a v8 race?
To release cars in pit lane at the start of a race and to close and open the pit exit during safety car periods.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 01:20 (Ref:2995300)   #62
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
To release cars in pit lane at the start of a race and to close and open the pit exit during safety car periods.
i understand the first bit, althougn as UC pointed out surely lights woruld be better.

but the second point, Is that so cars are not released as the SC goes passed, so that you join the end of the train. (which i understand, although would question what happened at Abu Dhabi then)

but seperate, why not have him on the pit wall (ie the drivers side in this case) where there is a level of protection, if we feel that we still need to have him
Old 5 Dec 2011, 01:30 (Ref:2995301)   #63
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
i understand the first bit, althougn as UC pointed out surely lights woruld be better.

but the second point, Is that so cars are not released as the SC goes passed, so that you join the end of the train. (which i understand, although would question what happened at Abu Dhabi then)

but seperate, why not have him on the pit wall (ie the drivers side in this case) where there is a level of protection, if we feel that we still need to have him
I would say he's possibly not at the pit wall in Homebush's case due to the pit crew protection not extending all the way down to where he is but I'm not familiar enough with that area.

At some circuits, such as Sandown or QR or Winton he does get on the driver's side and have some protection but not all circuits are layer out the same so it's a case of working with what is there and being aware.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 02:19 (Ref:2995316)   #64
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
PVDA, you need to look at the photo, yes he is (well actually in that photo he is standing on the race track where the speed is unrestricted, even dumber hey (and i dont blame him for it, thats the stupid naive rule that we have)

and while i understand that he has to go on the correct side of a plastic cone, the fact is that pit lane is this big wide strip of bitumin/concrete and he is standing in the dead centre of this strip of bitumin/concrete without any form of protection apart from a plastic cone
So let me get this straight, you want everyone in Pit Lane protected by a concrete wall of some form because all the pit crew members are standing, or worse kneeling down "in the dead centre of this Strip of bitumin/concrete without any form of protection"??

The VE$A offical is only a metre or so over the "line" and at most other tracks Moff Jr would actually hit either the Safety Car or Medical Chase Car usually parked around there somewhere.

I haven't seen any video of this incident and the photo may well make it look worse than it is but Moff is going somewhere he shouldn't at 40km/h.

Quote:
Good question, dates back to the Stop/Go penalties I guess although they do close Pit Exit just as the Safety Car approaches so other than at the start nd end of sessions that's about all that official does during V8 track time.

The series actually brings it's own "traffic light" which replaces the tracks own arrangement (if it has one) so the human element can be moved further away if they want to.

Oh and for all intents and purposes Pit Lane is in fact considered part of the race track hence the people access restrictions applied to it, it just happens to also have a speed limit (40km/h) applied to it.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 02:31 (Ref:2995318)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
So let me get this straight, you want everyone in Pit Lane protected by a concrete wall of some form because all the pit crew members are standing, or worse kneeling down "in the dead centre of this Strip of bitumin/concrete without any form of protection"??

The VE$A offical is only a metre or so over the "line" and at most other tracks Moff Jr would actually hit either the Safety Car or Medical Chase Car usually parked around there somewhere.

I haven't seen any video of this incident and the photo may well make it look worse than it is but Moff is going somewhere he shouldn't at 40km/h.
Let me ask you a question first, do you think its ok to have a man standing in the middle of pit lane without any protection?

Now my response

No I want the guys who's job it is to stand in the middle of pit lane have better protection than he does, or even moved and it would appear in this case he could have been moved to the driver side.

The pit crew spend the majority of the race standing behind a concrete wall already. so their risk is reduced, but yes there is risk and thats part of why they wear helmets

In this incident Moff had been released from his pit (remember they are in the 2nd pit area) into the path of fiore (error by the crew of which they were penalised) he bounced of Fiore (or steered away) and straight to the wrong side of the cone where apparantly we see the need to stand a man behind a plastic cone during the race

If the SC or medical car was there, at least they would have been protected by the structure of the car
Old 5 Dec 2011, 03:25 (Ref:2995338)   #66
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

So.. this is technically a racer without a balaclava on.. same rules apply for all classes presumably?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 Dec 2011, 03:41 (Ref:2995345)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
wasnt the balaclava rule related to FIA series

not sure who that girl is, interested in finding out though

what class of racing is he in
Old 5 Dec 2011, 03:56 (Ref:2995351)   #68
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
wasnt the balaclava rule related to FIA series

not sure who that girl is, interested in finding out though

what class of racing is he in
Hayley Swanson.. running in the Aussie Racing Cars...
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:04 (Ref:2995354)   #69
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

So.. this is technically a racer without a balaclava on.. same rules apply for all classes presumably?
You should get her to undo the driving suit to check her underwear, whoops, sorry fireproof underwear.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:23 (Ref:2995361)   #70
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:

V8s are an FIA series and balaclavas are required.

Aussie Race Cars is a CAMS national series and balaclavas are not required for such a series.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:24 (Ref:2995362)   #71
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Hang on a second, you have a problem with an official at the exit of speed controlled pit lane, but you think that it is ok for cars to race around to catch the Safety Car while there are trackside workers? Did I miss something there?
i believe it's called "double standards to fit one's opinion"
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:28 (Ref:2995366)   #72
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
V8s are an FIA series and balaclavas are required.

Aussie Race Cars is a CAMS national series and balaclavas are not required for such a series.
So.. a fire is not as likely in an Aussie Racing Car as opposed to a V8Supercar?
Old 5 Dec 2011, 04:42 (Ref:2995371)   #73
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
i believe it's called "double standards to fit one's opinion"
Mr "I want to kill race strategy" talks, Still waiting for you to tell me how closing pitlane makes Bathurst a better race.

and no its not double standards, have recorded ideas on how to fix this problem.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2995392)   #74
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
No he isn't.

Of course this isn't the first time Moff Jr has tried to run over officials after ignoring two laps worth of Red Lights at the Winton Test Day a few years ago and nearly hitting the Safety Team members who were removing a car from the Turn 3 gravel trap.
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Old 5 Dec 2011, 07:06 (Ref:2995405)   #75
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
So.. a fire is not as likely in an Aussie Racing Car as opposed to a V8Supercar?
You could say the same thing when all the V8 or before them ATCC drivers needed to get kitted out with balaclavas and additional underwear to comply with FIA regs for Sandown and Bathurst. Rest of the year not required.

Used to be the same with drivers overalls - different levels of FIA standard required at different levels of competition.

Guess that the decision has been made to draw the line somewhere.