Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 11 Nov 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1458149)   #1
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GP Masters?...

Having heard from time to time former F1 stars criticise current F1 cars...it's fascinating to read online some of the GP Masters drivers raving about their 600bhp cars...

Mansell who once was quoted as saying his Williams could pull 5G! (yeah right!) he's now been quoted as saying "The cars (GP Masters) are unbelievable, better than anything I drove in my heyday"

GP Masters...just refurbed ole Reynards arn't they?
Old 11 Nov 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1458179)   #2
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would imagine that after ten years, you tend to forget how gnarly the 1990's F1 cars were.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1458349)   #3
racebusiness
Rookie

Monaco
Monaco
racebusiness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Mansell who once was quoted as saying his Williams could pull 5G! (yeah right!)
That bit is true

Quote:
he's now been quoted as saying "The cars (GP Masters) are unbelievable, better than anything I drove in my heyday"
That bit is PR speak.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1458438)   #4
Rockfan
Rookie

England
Near Rockingham
Rockfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are the actual teams running the cars and what will the format be of the race and pitstops etc.

I just wondered what the format is, as I have found the GPMasters site very unheplful on those sort of facts.

I suppose it will all come out on Saturday Qualifying or Sunday's Race as to what teams are, or if it like the Seat Cupra championship (UK 2003) and run by a main team and cars are then setup by drivers/mechs to their liking.

The video on GPMasters website of Mansell testing was quite good. Can't wait to this happen.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1458899)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think Kyalami is that changed from 1992 is it? Mansell took pole at 1:15.486 then, 1:33.428 now. Last time F1 tested there in 2001 (again I assume track is at least similar to todays?) Ralf clocked in a 1:19.517

The track based on maps ive seen looks the same, not quite sure about the chicane at the end. So I suppose GP2 would be faster...
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1458932)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Don't forget, GP2 drivers, and the "masters" in their heyday were in the car week in, week out. Some of these guys haven't been in any racing car, of any description for along time.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1458959)   #7
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder how fast the masters car would be if you put an active driver in it?
Old 12 Nov 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1458962)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not that more different...In my opinion..next year that is when the legends will be more used to it with the series of races...
Old 12 Nov 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1458985)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
how is the weight limit calculated? does it include the driver, or exclude?
Old 12 Nov 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1458997)   #10
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
how is the weight limit calculated? does it include the driver, or exclude?
Here is a abstract from the series official site regarding the calculations of the weight.
Quote:
"The engine combines compact dimensions, minimum weight, maximum strength and awesome power output. The 650kg (excluding driver)".
link

Also, going by what ive seen today on Motors TV I figure these cars will be a little slower on lap times than a GP2 car, both cars have 600bhp but the GP Masters car has big wide slicks whilst the GP2 cars use grooved tyres (at the moment anyway) but the car probably doesent produce quite as much downforce as the GP2 Dallara's, mainly because the GP Masters car is a 99 spec car with a few areo upgrades effectivly, the GP2 car though was designed in 2004. Also the GP Masters cars weight 650kg without the driver, GP2 cars in comparissan weight only 580kg.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 07:59 (Ref:1459408)   #11
Bellof
Racer

South Africa
South Africa
Bellof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
according to sa-tv the weight limit includes the driver, as to have equal chances for all of them. the atmosphere seems to be fantastic, and I kinda regret not going there. and btw, the racetrack has been quiet modified over the years.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1459423)   #12
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure the last chicane was added in 1993... Probably adding about 5 seconds to the lap times
Old 13 Nov 2005, 08:36 (Ref:1459434)   #13
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Having heard from time to time former F1 stars criticise current F1 cars...it's fascinating to read online some of the GP Masters drivers raving about their 600bhp cars...

Mansell who once was quoted as saying his Williams could pull 5G! (yeah right!) he's now been quoted as saying "The cars (GP Masters) are unbelievable, better than anything I drove in my heyday"

GP Masters...just refurbed ole Reynards arn't they?
Then someone get him into a present Champcar, to know what they think!!!, i'm sure the present car will blow his mind compared to the old Lola he drove in 92 and 93, by what i saw today he can easily outpace anyone of the present generation
Old 13 Nov 2005, 08:39 (Ref:1459437)   #14
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Here is a abstract from the series official site regarding the calculations of the weight. link

Also, going by what ive seen today on Motors TV I figure these cars will be a little slower on lap times than a GP2 car, both cars have 600bhp but the GP Masters car has big wide slicks whilst the GP2 cars use grooved tyres (at the moment anyway) but the car probably doesent produce quite as much downforce as the GP2 Dallara's, mainly because the GP Masters car is a 99 spec car with a few areo upgrades effectivly, the GP2 car though was designed in 2004. Also the GP Masters cars weight 650kg without the driver, GP2 cars in comparissan weight only 580kg.
I think we should consider maybe a comparison against a champcar, due to the CART/Champcar design basis of the car
Old 13 Nov 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1459463)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Woudnt IMO be a fair comparison, Champ cars have 750bhp after all. And yes whilst the car is based on a champ car chassis you can see quite a few areodynamic differnces.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1459544)   #16
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I guess if the fastest thing you've sat in for 10 yrs was a road going Ferrari, even a gnarly old Reynard with 600bhp is going to feel like a rocket ship.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1460281)   #17
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say, that was great fun, certainly a place for GPM next year..
If you can be bothered, have a listen to my comments on it at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/
Click on 'Listen again' then click 'Wake up to Wogan'. Use the forward wind buttons to go ahead 1 hour 40 minutes, let Shania finish warbling (sadly you have to put up with a few mins of her) and at 1hr 42:29 there you go !

Rob Sinfield
Old 14 Nov 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1460547)   #18
Bruno_Lamy
Rookie

Portugal
Bruno_Lamy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have an idea where the next races will be?
Old 14 Nov 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1460593)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the other GP Masters thread has the provisional calendar.

Season opener in Qatar as I recall
Old 14 Nov 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1460670)   #20
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Woudnt IMO be a fair comparison, Champ cars have 750bhp after all. And yes whilst the car is based on a champ car chassis you can see quite a few areodynamic differnces.
Also they have paddle-shift gear changes whereas Champcars still have manual-shift.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 04:15 (Ref:1460995)   #21
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun
...Champcars still have manual-shift...
Just one of the reasons about why lots of racing fans here in Mexico and Canada love them so much...me included

Last edited by Net-Ranger; 15 Nov 2005 at 04:18. Reason: type mistake
Old 15 Nov 2005, 04:22 (Ref:1460997)   #22
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Anyway, for the european style of racing, based in the old style GP rules (wider and larger cars) the cars are simply great!!!

hope i can watch the races next year!!!
Old 16 Nov 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1462065)   #23
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun
Champcars still have manual-shift.
Well, sequential if you want to be technical.