Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 13 Nov 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1459768)   #51
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed that race! Considering Kyalami is very difficult to overtake at, the drivers put on a good show! And never mind Murray's age, he's as good as ever, complete with some more howlers! Poor Murray, he got a bit confused by the caption at the top of the screen that said the amount of laps left. He said on the 4th lap, 'We're on lap 27 out of 30'. Great to hear someone commentating who loves the sport.

I hope that if the series continues, which I'm certain it will, BBC show the races. Even if there is a delay that wouldn't bother me. Thumbs up definitely.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1459771)   #52
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gotta say fair play to Emmo who looked fit as a fiddle after the race, far fitter than eve Nigel to be honest, not bad for 58 years of age!
Was a good race, nice to see they are poushing and given a decent chance to race, the cars look tough to drive on the limit ad I think the organisers have done a better job making the racing close than A1, which is basically an Arabs dream come true and not much more than a feeder formula
Old 13 Nov 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1459773)   #53
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
A bit of a contrived first few laps but got better as time went on. Great to see cars going sideways again and good to hear Murray Walker doing his thing.

I missed the intro, who was the other guy commentating, His voice sounded familiar.
Thank god i am not the only person who thought it was a little contrived. I actually felt Mansell was controlling the pace so they could all keep up for the first half of the race. I am sorry to say but it had the feel of a demo to me. (perhaps it's just me).
Old 13 Nov 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1459778)   #54
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great drives by Nige and Emmo. In a class of their own; I don't really agree with those who say the others weren't that far behind. 20 seconds is a big gap over 30 laps. However, I agree with safc_fan89 about overtaking at Kyalami; the relative lack of overtaking opportunities, stymied some of the 'racier' drivers for much of the time, although, I suspect they would still not have got on terms with the 2 leaders even if they had got through earlier in the race.

It all bodes well for next season particularly if we get a few more drivers.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1459789)   #55
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I think the organisers have done a better job making the racing close than A1, which is basically an Arabs dream come true and not much more than a feeder formula
OT: Why all this negativity towards A1? Nothing wrong A1 either. IMO the two series are polar opposites anyway, stop trying to compare the two. The number of comments I have seen drawing comparisons is starting to irratate me.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1459791)   #56
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Thank god i am not the only person who thought it was a little contrived. I actually felt Mansell was controlling the pace so they could all keep up for the first half of the race. I am sorry to say but it had the feel of a demo to me. (perhaps it's just me).
Whether that actually happened won't be known unless Mansell says anything. To be honest I doubt he would have done that, as he would have lost the win had Fittipaldi passed him.

I think more drivers will take part next year anyway, if Prost does he'll be at the front I think. Clearly Mansell and Fittipaldi are the best 2, no-one else was even close, but Prost would probably be near the front if he participated.

I like the whole concept, hold it on decent tracks where you can overtake and the spectacle would be even better.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1459812)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the first few laps were "staged" as t were for two reasons. First to make sure everybody saw the cars and second because the drivers were playing themselves in.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1459821)   #58
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I am starting to get ****ed off. I have not been able to see either A1GP or the Masters, :-(. Hopefully both will get shown sometime, :-).

Anyway, it reads like a thoroughly worthwhile bit of viewing.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1459828)   #59
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was great stuff, really took me back, and my old boyhood hero DeCesaris was right on it, superb, the only one i was a bit worried about was Jacques, he really struggled out there didn`t he, mind you he is into his 60`s isn`t he, big thumbs up from me on the whole though, how hard can it be to get F1 down to that technological level, hope Bernie and Max had the telly on.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1459890)   #60
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was a great race with lots of good passing close running etc etc but yeah i must agree i think the beginning bit was a little bit staged....its a bit strange how close they were together until lap 10 or 15 when mansell started to pull away and they were 20secs infront of DeCesaris by the end!
Old 13 Nov 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1459902)   #61
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent race - and Murray still commentates like his trousers are on fire! Took me back quite a few years did that.

As Hindy said - "Bring it on"
Old 13 Nov 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1459904)   #62
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
For all of you that are complaining about this commentator versus that one.. We in the USA don't get to see or hear any of it.. Consider yourselves fortunate..
Old 13 Nov 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1459909)   #63
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
staged or not, it made great TV and its got us all talking about next year when Mr Prost and other great past GP names could join what has been a very watchable race, with great drivers showing that they have not lost the competitive spirit to put on a show and want to win.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1459919)   #64
Patrese256
Rookie

Wales
UK
Patrese256 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Given that most of these drivers hadn't raced a single seater for 10+ years it's hardly surprising they took it easy, at least at first. Familiarisation laps at Silverstone (for some), and qualifying laps are not the same as wheel to wheel racing. No doubt fitness was a factor as well. They were out there to enjoy themselves, not to compete for a world championship.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1459926)   #65
Dr Venom
Racer

Total agree Patrease256, i think there will be few old timers in the gym come monday morning.......................Alan Jones (fat head small neck) being the first in the queue
Old 13 Nov 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1459929)   #66
Simon_1983
Rookie

Simon_1983 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutly fantastic 2nd half of the race, once they all seemed to be back into "race mode"

Being of an age where I can just remember Mansell (only really got into Msport since I turned 18) It was great to see people Ive been told about actually race

Cant wait for the next one, where? When?
Old 13 Nov 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1459930)   #67
Dr Venom
Racer

young simon-1983
Old 13 Nov 2005, 22:09 (Ref:1459932)   #68
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant concept, brilliantly executed.
I thought that Murray said that the drivers had agreed to take it easy at the start. Looked to me as though they were past that halfway through. Locked wheels, dirt tracking and feinting moves all looked as though they were trying to me.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1459933)   #69
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only problem for the series could be the difference in performance between the drivers. There is a big difference between being 47 and 62. Jolly Jaques did not look at all happy and clearly needs bigger mirrors or stronger glasses.I do however take my hat off to all of them for accepting the challenge. It would not have been easy to do for some of the older guys. Nige has lost none of the theatre he always had. A win against the odds whilst recovering from flu. We only needed Murray to give him a poke on the head to really make it feel like we had all been transported back in time.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1459936)   #70
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Damon Hill should be about 45 now? he should come and join the series!!
Old 13 Nov 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1459941)   #71
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damon says he's had enough of risking his life and will not be racing in this.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1459947)   #72
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damon took part in a kart race back in 2003 for fun but there was no risk at all..
Old 13 Nov 2005, 22:56 (Ref:1459952)   #73
Dr Venom
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Damon says he's had enough of risking his life and will not be racing in this.
Has he gone "Gay" on us...........once a racer always a racer
Old 13 Nov 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1459958)   #74
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Venom
Has he gone "Gay" on us...........once a racer always a racer
I'm sure there are race drivers out there who happen to be gay. It's remarks like that, which keep them from coming out and being positive role models to young gay teens possibly looking towards motorsport as a career
Old 13 Nov 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1459966)   #75
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not read all posts so I may have repeated previous comments...

How utterly depressing - the whingeing eyebrow wins and that finger-nail-on-blackboard voice of murray walker.

I thought those days were a distant, dark memory.

Strictly personal mind, I'm sure the sycophantic will be screaming "off with Splendid Cat's Head"

Anybody else out there that loathes the Mansell / Walker club?