Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jan 2018, 03:24 (Ref:3793479)   #31
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A meeting is to take place today to discuss removing driver weights from the minimum weight requirement for 2018. This has come about because some teams are apparently over weight due to the Halo and it's associate structures.

Should be interesting to see what they come up with. Driver weight has been part of the total weight package since the mid nineties if I'm not mistaken. How and/or what will they come up with that will be a fair system for everyone?
Old 18 Jan 2018, 05:20 (Ref:3793493)   #32
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, SA
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSkam85 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Weigh all the drivers day one of pre-season testing and factor that into overall weight of each car?

for example, Hulkenberg's car overall weight will be higher that Hamilton's due to their height difference.

There are flaws to this plan obviously but minimum weight with new fandangled things like the Halo will never be completely even and fair due to all drivers being different sizes.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 08:54 (Ref:3793527)   #33
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The McLaren MCL33 launch is scheduled for 23rd February.

Zakery Brown has said the 2018 livery will be very different. So what has McLaren got planned that is very different to the 2017 livery?

Toro Rosso set to launch the STR13 on February 25th.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3793648)   #34
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm has a real shot at the championship!crmalcolm has a real shot at the championship!crmalcolm has a real shot at the championship!crmalcolm has a real shot at the championship!crmalcolm has a real shot at the championship!
Mercedes launch their car on 22/02. Already confirmed to be silver - with some Petronas Green.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 21:15 (Ref:3793656)   #35
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

Should be interesting to see what they come up with. Driver weight has been part of the total weight package since the mid nineties if I'm not mistaken. How and/or what will they come up with that will be a fair system for everyone?
Have a set driver and ballast weight, like 90 kg. Meaning, every car has to have their driver and designated ballast add to that weight. The ballast and it's location within the car would have to be regulated. That's pretty much how Nascar does it.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 22:00 (Ref:3793670)   #36
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Have a set driver and ballast weight, like 90 kg. Meaning, every car has to have their driver and designated ballast add to that weight. The ballast and it's location within the car would have to be regulated. That's pretty much how Nascar does it.
Driver ballast is such a simple thing to do and yet the apex of motorsport cannot get it right.
Add 40% to the weight of the cars, but ballasting the drivers is impossible, righto!
Old 19 Jan 2018, 01:53 (Ref:3793705)   #37
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Driver ballast is such a simple thing to do and yet the apex of motorsport cannot get it right.
Add 40% to the weight of the cars, but ballasting the drivers is impossible, righto!
At the pinnacles of engineering, sometimes the simplest solutions are the first to be tossed out. Yet the windshield wiper turns 107 in a few months.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3793786)   #38
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Results from the meeting on driver weights. There was no unanimous vote so a change will not happen for 2018.

From 2019, the regulations will change to allow car and driver weights will be split, with a maximum driver weight of 80kg, and the lighter drivers to be ballasted.

So back to the drawing board for the teams trying to make minimum weight. Or just race as is.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3793806)   #39
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would assume one or more teams who are at minimum weight voted no and just figure itís an advantage for them during 2018?

Richard
Old 19 Jan 2018, 16:57 (Ref:3793848)   #40
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!
Bottas has always looked like a much more bulky guy than the rest. Wonder where he falls on the weight? Seems he may have always been disadvantaged by it.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3793878)   #41
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Bottas has always looked like a much more bulky guy than the rest. Wonder where he falls on the weight? Seems he may have always been disadvantaged by it.
Valtteri Bottas: Height - 1.73 m; Weight - 70 kg

And just for comparison.. Lewis Hamilton: Height - 1.74 m; Weight - 69 kg.

Data is from 2017.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 02:31 (Ref:3793903)   #42
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!RWill2073 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Valtteri Bottas: Height - 1.73 m; Weight - 70 kg

And just for comparison.. Lewis Hamilton: Height - 1.74 m; Weight - 69 kg.

Data is from 2017.
Alrighty then. He just looks bulkier to me I guess.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3794580)   #43
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
in other Force Majeure news, according to a Tobi Gruner tweet, the Force India launch date will be in Barcelona on Feb 25.

along with the new car, there will be a new name and logo.

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/955755060608323585

can we start a poll for possible new names?

Force One doesnt quite sound right to me.

if they opened it up to internet voting then something like Forcey McBoatForce could easily win out.

or in light of the growing partnership with ESPN (i.e. Disney) part of me is hoping for a star wars branded team...'Force Awakens F1' or simply 'The Force F1'.
Old 24 Jan 2018, 01:39 (Ref:3794645)   #44
E.B
Veteran

Australia
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridE.B should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in other Force Majeure news, according to a Tobi Gruner tweet, the Force India launch date will be in Barcelona on Feb 25.

along with the new car, there will be a new name and logo.

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/955755060608323585

can we start a poll for possible new names?

Force One doesnt quite sound right to me.

if they opened it up to internet voting then something like Forcey McBoatForce could easily win out.

or in light of the growing partnership with ESPN (i.e. Disney) part of me is hoping for a star wars branded team...'Force Awakens F1' or simply 'The Force F1'.
I thought Liberty or the FIA had blocked Force 1 as a name on account of it would be abbreviated to F1,(potential copyright infringement issues etc. )
On the other hand they are allowed to use F1 as part of the name so maybe Force F1?
Old 24 Jan 2018, 08:05 (Ref:3794685)   #45
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I thought Liberty or the FIA had blocked Force 1 as a name on account of it would be abbreviated to F1,(potential copyright infringement issues etc. )
On the other hand they are allowed to use F1 as part of the name so maybe Force F1?
Could use Force One I guess.