Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Mar 2003, 18:54 (Ref:540373)   #1
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Er, odd thought concerning wheels...or rather, the amount of wheels...

I thought, is there anything in the rules currently, that would prevent Six Wheelers?

It would be interesting if someone built one. I was thinking of the practical advantages. If you half the dia of the wheels, and half the width, so you still have the same contact patch, but the wheel arches could then be made very narrow, and very low. That might have some aero benefit. There would also be increased space for the Diffuser as well. I think it'd be interesting to see how well they'd go.

One last thing, i am not, or have not, or will not be needing to see a psyciatrist at any point in the next 25yrs or more.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 00:41 (Ref:540791)   #2
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyrrell built their 6 wheel F1 car based on that assumption. But eventually what kills it was that they became neglected by tire maker and they fall behind in terms of tire grip...
Old 19 Mar 2003, 01:24 (Ref:540810)   #3
Speck
Rookie

Speck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Six wheels will be hell to change during a pit stop.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 01:57 (Ref:540820)   #4
19000RPM
Rookie

United States
Naples FL & Atlanta GA
19000RPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Erm, I believe this is outlawed by the rules. 2004 ACO regs art. 13.1.1: "number: four (4)". Good idea though, I love it when new ideas are offered for discussion.

-Jeremy
Old 19 Mar 2003, 07:47 (Ref:540902)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wouldn't it have been good to see though - something (nearly) completely different? As I've said many times before, we need variety - the more the better.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 07:49 (Ref:540904)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks a bit strange though. I was comin up for idea for how to make it pretty.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 09:58 (Ref:541009)   #7
TVRfan
Racer

Wales
TVRfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the smaller wheels at the front would have allowed for better aerodynamics but unfourtunately the stress on the tyre is so much more meaning at le mans youd have top change tyres about every 10 laps so the gains in aero wouldnt be worth it, intersesting thought tho
Old 19 Mar 2003, 10:51 (Ref:541020)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With LMP tyre cars having enclosed wheels, surely the aerodynamic properties (or lack of) of the wheels is of lesser importance than in an open-wheeler like an F1 car.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 15:01 (Ref:541221)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice idea- gearing can be changed slightly if the drive wheel were smaller too, and perhap a dual wheel set up like on big Pickup trucks, so the wieght is spread over two tires and so you would get 8 total tires on this car and to make it legal put 2 steering wheels and 2 seat so it is really one car, but passes regs as 2, and we have a winner...
no seriously 2 wheel sets upfront-why would this need more tire changes? the stresses are spread over 2 sets up front and the rubber might be slightly harder compound to offset their size, i don't see that as the problem, just finding a Tyrell engineer to rig the steering and call Avon for the tires.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 16:57 (Ref:541318)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The problem is, if you have a smaller diameter wheel, to go at 200mph, the wheels have to turn that much faster. The centrifugal forces on the Tyrells wheels meant that on long straights, you could see right through a large gap that appeared between the rims and the tires.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 22:20 (Ref:541649)   #11
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ehm... how 'bout a band wagon?

/k
Old 20 Mar 2003, 13:14 (Ref:542070)   #12
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think so far you have all invented one hell of a car, lets see were up to 8 weels which on the Le Mans straits will begin to separate from the rims.
Is there anyhting in the regs about the amount of brake disks you're allowed, otherwise braking would be much improved with more weels but if you are limited then it would be a major disadvantage.