Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 29 Jul 2018, 21:41 (Ref:3840056)   #526
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"liberal approach to passing and contact"
It's how rallycross always has been and he had the nerve to b* about it. It was a bit silly (euphemistically put).
Old 30 Jul 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3840218)   #527
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its hardly exciting news now is it, and he only there coz its Canada and they cant find any other reason to put anyone else in the thing, tired, old stories from a dying series in my view.

Haven't watched one round this year and don't miss it all. Rallycross died for me about 4 years ago I'm afraid, only come here to wind you lot up and talk about old stuff when it was a real sport, not a form of marketing which is all it is now.
Old 30 Jul 2018, 22:12 (Ref:3840231)   #528
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Its hardly exciting news now is it, and he only there coz its Canada and they cant find any other reason to put anyone else in the thing, tired, old stories from a dying series in my view.

Haven't watched one round this year and don't miss it all. Rallycross died for me about 4 years ago I'm afraid, only come here to wind you lot up and talk about old stuff when it was a real sport, not a form of marketing which is all it is now.

What a charmed life you must lead
Old 31 Jul 2018, 00:24 (Ref:3840242)   #529
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrossnl View Post
liberal approach to passing and contact
Villeneuve has experience in that.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 07:54 (Ref:3840283)   #530
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
only come here to wind you lot up
What a fulfilling life you have.

Would like to see Solberg take a win or two this year (I feel like he deserves at least one), but it's hard to look past Kristoffersson now. Canada is a power circuit, I wonder if the new and improved Peugeot Sport 208 has enough extra grunt to challenge the PSRXVW's?

Sure the EKS cars will make the final, but they are yet to deliver the challenge I was expecting.
Old 31 Jul 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3840352)   #531
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It takes 20 seconds to write a reply on here, hardly a life changing event
Old 1 Aug 2018, 16:51 (Ref:3840690)   #532
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
But this forum is for people who actually follow the series
Old 1 Aug 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3840705)   #533
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I follow it, or used to. COulnt really care less what you think
Old 1 Aug 2018, 21:49 (Ref:3840758)   #534
S griffin
Veteran

Well clearly nobody on this forum cares what you think about WRX
Old 3 Aug 2018, 08:44 (Ref:3841032)   #535
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What a shame. You have missed out on some brilliant races.
Stand up and shout at the TV, cheer, and clap your hands races.
Maybe if you took your eyes of the peripheral PR nonsense that seems to be part of everything nowadays, and just watch the racing for what it is you may actually start to enjoy it again.
Old 3 Aug 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3841159)   #536
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are only few thing bugging me: lack of true live footage due to rights and lack of ERX in European WRX rounds...
Old 3 Aug 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3841213)   #537
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I have tried to watch it, but it isn't rallycross, it's not even close really.

the gravel ends up being hardpack, the tracks are abysmal. The cars are far too expensive and advanced now.

Sorry guys, but rallycross is about wide tracks, different lines, clever tyres choices, clever car design, different classes.

WRX is just a package tour designed to make IMG money, nothing else.

If you buy into it, you are helping to destroy what was once the best motorsport in the world.

I hoped IMG might do something good, after all the years I followed the sport, but they have totally ruined it, taken it away from it's roots, have no care about the future (unless it makes them money, electric etc), taken it away from amateurs completely, taken it to places that have no rallycros interest again in the pursuit of money not good racing or great venues.

The racing isn';t even that good from what I ahve seen, domination for years now by one team largely, one guy before that. Yes it's often been like that.

But if you tel me you would rather watch Solberg over Alamaki or Schanche then you are no rallycross fan. You are a WRX fan, and that is a different sport
Old 4 Aug 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3841306)   #538
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is that the group B days are long gone, chunder. It's fair that you like an area of the sport, and maybe you can enjoy the classic class once it fills up.

Meanwhile, I've enjoyed every season since 2014 and I think this year is getting better as Peugeot finds more speed and Audi needs to do something. I grew up with the wild group B cars but lost interest in the 90s as Hansen Schumachered the sport.

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
Old 5 Aug 2018, 06:17 (Ref:3841529)   #539
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With respect to all sides, but this canada track, it just isn't rallycross, not even if 40 groupB cars would run.
And the kids soccer Saterday afternoon commentary under the highlights videos isn't helping either.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 06:56 (Ref:3841535)   #540
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrossnl View Post
With respect to all sides, but this canada track, it just isn't rallycross, not even if 40 groupB cars would run.
And the kids soccer Saterday afternoon commentary under the highlights videos isn't helping either.
Agree, they made some improvements but overall it's not good. I love how positive the drivers are about the track, says a lot about the grey mass Schanche said WRX was.

Still some good racing though, seems to be a little more even now with EKS catching up to VW and Peugeot. Hoping the other teams can get a little closer as well.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3841575)   #541
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Can't recall a year when I have watched zero rallycross. On tv or live. Nothing to do with Group B, I didn't mind the 90's, some of the racing was poor and grids were small yes, but up front it was always competitive. Hansen was not that dominant, just knew how to win championships. And the support classes were far better. Group N was fun, harsh and daft, GpN 2 litre was even worse!! 1400 was insane, like a sort of car Moto3.

Sorry, but the whole package, was just better. Agreed the modern cars are fast, the driving is of a higher standard, but emasculated by the awful, hideous tracks.

Have watched plenty of stuff from Belgium, free on youtube, a bit of Finnish stuff, fair bit of Scandinavia. But to be honest, my interest from rallycross now has gone into world national level rallying and euro hill racing.

Finland looks it is making a real comeback in rallycross terms, just hope a series comes soon that they can race in.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3841625)   #542
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't like the Canadian track.

Only the first turn does have some more racing lines to go for.
Some other parts are way to narrow.

I do not hate the new tracks. Rallycross is expanding, some older "real" tracks are just not up to todays standard.
For me this is rallycross 2.0 with some great tracks, best is Hockenheim, where i think we will see RX back next year!
Old 6 Aug 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3841826)   #543
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But if you tel me you would rather watch Solberg over Alamaki or Schanche then you are no rallycross fan. You are a WRX fan, and that is a different sport
Though I wouldn't put Petter on quite the same level as the Schanche/RS200 combination, Solberg in his DS3 is one of my favourite rallycross car/driver pairings.

If that means I'm not a true rallycross fan, then so be it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Agree, they made some improvements but overall it's not good.
Yeah, I agree that the track has improved, but it's still my least favourite on the calendar. I wonder how the CotA circuit will compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Still some good racing though, seems to be a little more even now with EKS catching up to VW and Peugeot. Hoping the other teams can get a little closer as well.
My biggest frustration this year is that the other teams (especially Peugeot) look like the have the speed to challenge the PSRXVW cars (specifically Kristoffersson), they just aren't consistent enough to match Johan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec View Post
I do not hate the new tracks. Rallycross is expanding, some older "real" tracks are just not up to todays standard.
For me this is rallycross 2.0 with some great tracks, best is Hockenheim, where i think we will see RX back next year!
I think this is a good way of looking at it. Although I don't agree with everything IMG have done, I do think the TV coverage and increased social media presence is a big plus.

Track selection is definitely my biggest single gripe. Some of the "temporary" tracks have been OK, but the list of unliked tracks seems to be increasing with each season now.

I have said it in this thread and elsewhere, but I think that IMG have the potential to please everyone with the impending introduction of electric (and the seemingly increasing divide between World and European Championships). I really hope the route they chose will give the fans what they want.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 21:57 (Ref:3841957)   #544
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a place where we can find wich driver has howmany "reprimands"?
Old 7 Aug 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3842084)   #545
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually enjoyed watching the races in Canada, which surprised me. It's not like there is lots of overtaking on other circuits and that's always been the case in rallycross. You only have to each the grandstand footage to hear Gollop saying that the most important thing is to be first into the first corner. I wonder why that was... Most of the European circuits have listed overtaking. Go back and watch all the heats. But Canada has something that many European circuits didn't have... Speed. It's the fastest circuit apparently (presumably behind Lydden). That drag to the first corner was great each race.

I hate the barriers and the Mickey mouse tight sections. But actually I thought the racing was tight and some of the best time seen this season. Maybe the bar has dropped!

Off to loheac soon and I guarantee there will be as few overtakes there (excluding joker lap).
Old 7 Aug 2018, 18:00 (Ref:3842160)   #546
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Thats fine, but let some drivers and fans at least have rallycross 1.0

Not monopolise it and put it behind the pathetic ERX moniker and then try and wrap it up in a 2 million dollar price tag coz you know if you lose them you have lost tour crowd.

Thats a big reason why WRX stinks for me

Still thjey dont want people like me, they want people that don't care, people they can market to who buy rubbish, watch rubbish and are bored of normal motorsport. To them rallycross is new exciting(ahem domination is dull) and they can sell it to them like ice to an Arab.

One lost fan, and countless others, why cant these cretins realise that if they just tried a tiny bit harder they might keep thme aswell?
Old 8 Aug 2018, 08:50 (Ref:3842272)   #547
Silhuette
Racer

Well I am re-watching Subarus Launch Control web series on their GRC and rally team. (it's on YouTube in glorious 1080p). Such a wonderful series that deserves recognition. It's biased of course but nicely made and gives an interesting angle on the sport.

Now you can like or not like modern corporate motorsports, but this corporate team has a great spirit and seems like a great bunch of people.

Imagine the same series on the PSRX or EKRX teams - it would be awesome.

Old 8 Aug 2018, 09:31 (Ref:3842287)   #548
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Yeah, despite the obvious bias, I think that Launch Control is an excellent watch. As you say it would be great to see more series like that from other rallycross (or rally) teams.

Last edited by tbtstt; 8 Aug 2018 at 09:44.
Old 8 Aug 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3842289)   #549
Silhuette
Racer

I think maybe the smartest thing FIA could do would be to hire these guys to make a series in WRX.

Old 8 Aug 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3842337)   #550
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Those behind the scenes series are always interesting.

About WRX: Since they geo block the WRX coverage on Youtube (two years ago or so) my interest decreased. This season they show the heats live on Youtube with no geo blocking but for some reason I am not watching.

For fans of rallycross v1.0 there's still the French, Belgian and Swedish series.