Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Jun 2011, 03:26 (Ref:2894023)   #26
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Krohn said they are looking at options beyond GTE for the WEC.
I asked him at Sebring if he felt the new P2 rules suited him and he just smiled he said he was considering it for the future.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2894061)   #27
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ugh. It looks like it is official: The Delta Wing LMP1 will be going to Le Mans in 2012 with a to be determined 1.6L engine making 300 HP. Highcroft will run the team it seems and Don Panoz will be a consultant. This thing makes the Abruzzi look like a Porsche 917. Ugh. I can't believe that hideous (and probably slow) thing will waste a spot on the Le Mans grid.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-24-hour-race/
Old 9 Jun 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2894091)   #28
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh dear ..... If this is the future ...... I might go and buy a DVD of Soilent Green !!!

I dont like this thing at all .
Old 9 Jun 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2894110)   #29
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Im a fan of innovation but Im not a fan of this, LMPs are supposed to be things of beauty but this, I find it hard to picture this at Le Mans, it looks more at home at the Brickyard.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2894121)   #30
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Ugh. It looks like it is official: The Delta Wing LMP1 will be going to Le Mans in 2012 with a to be determined 1.6L engine making 300 HP.
If that happened, then I would never consider LMP1 races.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2894139)   #31
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd prefer electro Courage instead. At least it looks like a real sportscar, not as ..hmm..
Old 9 Jun 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2894150)   #32
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
If that happened, then I would never consider LMP1 races.
It sounds like the car will run unclassified. At least that is what the photo caption says. But, yes, I don't like the idea of a formula car looking thing, especially a very ugly looking one, running at Le Mans. I understand the 56th entry principle of finding energy efficient solutions, but I would like solutions that have street car applications like the Porsche hybrids. What connection does this phallic rocket have to street cars? It's a waste of an entry, IMO. A possible GTE or LMP contender may sit on the sidelines so someone's useless Indycar dream can live on.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2894179)   #33
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012 56th entry - Deltawing - Discuss!

Maybe a bit early given the current edition has yet to run (and mods, please move to relevant section if needed) but what's peoples thoughts on the Deltawing announcement?

IMO, and i'm probably not alone, but it's a bit left field! And doesn't it potentially take away a valid entry to prove more road relevant technology? be interesting to see how this pans out!
Interesting to see the render is a pseudo LMP1... closed wheels, twin cockpit and lights (I remember reading an article on Racecar engineering recently that the original concept had faired in wheels, but Firestone rejected to for ease of temperature readings).

Discuss!

Story;
Speed TV - Deltawing announcement

Last edited by Try Hard; 9 Jun 2011 at 10:44. Reason: added links to story
Old 9 Jun 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2894181)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Ugh. It looks like it is official: The Delta Wing LMP1 will be going to Le Mans in 2012 with a to be determined 1.6L engine making 300 HP. Highcroft will run the team it seems and Don Panoz will be a consultant. This thing makes the Abruzzi look like a Porsche 917. Ugh. I can't believe that hideous (and probably slow) thing will waste a spot on the Le Mans grid.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-24-hour-race/

Someone is surely having a laugh. If that thing competes it will surely be the ugliest machine ever to do so......
Old 9 Jun 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2894183)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
See post #33 - originally a separate thread
I think this can go in Badger's 'runours' thread where it's already mentioned. Personal it may be, but I can't bring myself to waste an entire thread on such a hideous monstrosity.....
Old 9 Jun 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2894199)   #36
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It looks like male genitalia on wheels.
that's in line with most sports cars being male genitalia extensions.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2894207)   #37
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This you know what on wheels appears to have the same aerodynamic properties of The Reliant Robin.

I think Duncan has lost it, suprised but interested Dan is involved. Is it just me or is Don Panoz getting really bored about the ALMS?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2894242)   #38
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try Hard View Post
Interesting to see the render is a pseudo LMP1... closed wheels, twin cockpit and lights (I remember reading an article on Racecar engineering recently that the original concept had faired in wheels, but Firestone rejected to for ease of temperature readings).
Another thing to consider: with such a narrow front, how will this "car" perform through slow to mid-speed corners? It just doesn't look like having a lot of mechanical grip at the front
Old 9 Jun 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2894246)   #39
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Imagine that thing rolling , or having brake failure at Mulsanne ..... It would end up stuck in the side of the Eifel Tower !!!

Sad Ayse ..... But I can see that kinda crap on the horizon .
Old 9 Jun 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2894248)   #40
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as this thing doesnt become the normal style of car. Sadly i think we will see more cars like this, with smaller engines, less power.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2894264)   #41
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I hope Highcroft didn't ditch HPD because of this...
Old 9 Jun 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2894269)   #42
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does make you wonder how they couldn't find the money to run a mostly proven HPD chassis and yet Highcroft will be involved in this mess? Hope it makes it to PLM, especially as a non-running demo car so we can express our disinterest in this car as an LMP directly to the team/series.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 13:00 (Ref:2894270)   #43
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*Simulation* run of the Delta Wing at Le Mans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qab8J..._order&list=UL

This thing looks like a danger to both drivers and spectators, I hope they run out of money, or have a mechanical problem that wont allow them to start the race. Epic Fail.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2894272)   #44
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I hope Highcroft didn't ditch HPD because of this...
Be very surprised if they did. This has more a look of the last gasp from a team with little else on the table. The car is an absolute joke, always has been, and IF it actually gets built I don't see it competing at anywhere near even a mediocre level. It seems as likely to happen as USF1 ever did. And if Panoz is spending any money, well, maybe he should take a look at his priorities.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2894313)   #45
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
And if Panoz is spending any money, well, maybe he should take a look at his priorities.
Money is the only reason I could figure out for Don Panoz to be involved with this. they say he is a consultant, but he doesn't have car engineering experience does he?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2894316)   #46
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post

This thing looks like a danger to both drivers and spectators, I hope they run out of money, or have a mechanical problem that wont allow them to start the race. Epic Fail.
Here's a thought if we're trying to make racing safer - perhaps not have a car shaped like a battering ram?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 14:14 (Ref:2894323)   #47
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post

A lap in 3:32 - not bad at all
Old 9 Jun 2011, 14:20 (Ref:2894327)   #48
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
A lap in 3:32 - not bad at all
It's already showing more promise than the AMR-One...
Old 9 Jun 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2894336)   #49
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
See post #33 - originally a separate thread
I think this can go in Badger's 'runours' thread where it's already mentioned. Personal it may be, but I can't bring myself to waste an entire thread on such a hideous monstrosity.....
No problem understood...just took me a while to find where it had gone
Old 9 Jun 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2894398)   #50
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
It's already showing more promise than the AMR-One...