Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 4 Apr 2000, 03:30 (Ref:7140)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
found this press release today at sportscarworld.comPORSCHE ANNOUNCES ENTRY INTO NASCAR CRAFTSMAN TRUCK SERIES
For Immediate Release

Porsche Motorsports North America and Porsche-Volkswagen Lastwagen Vertriebgesellschaft (PVLV) announced today it would campaign its new sport utility vehicle in NASCAR's Craftsman Truck Series for the 2002 racing season. In a move that shocked the international racing community, Porsche asserts that this new venture is not a departure from its historic roots at LeMans and Daytona but instead the realization of its traditional manufacturing philosophy that every Porsche built is a race car. Speculation about why Porsche had pulled the plug on its Le Mans effort for the 2000 race has been rampant for months, particularly in light of the dearth of other factory teams competing this year and the encouraging results of Porsche's own LMP Prototype, which was very fast in tests at the factory's Weissach test facility this past November. Previous explanations by Porsche AG for this sudden departure from LeMans and the American LeMans Series contended that all engineering resources were focused on continuing factory production programs. Many pundits have speculated that Porsche is now so absorbed with bean counting and its bottom line (despite record sales and profits) that it had abandoned its racing heritage for the sake of truck sales in the rarefied market air of upscale SUVs. To dampen such speculation, Porsche trotted out an impressive contingent to show how serious it is about racing this SUV, which will be introduced in the 2002 model year

sounds interesting how do you think it will go ?

Old 4 Apr 2000, 15:39 (Ref:7141)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow! I hadn't heard anything about this. I think it will be good for the sport. Perhaps, Porsche might then move up from the Craftsmans Truck Series into Winston Cup like Dodge did. Or would that be feasible? Does Porsche make any non-sportscars that would be viewed acceptable for a stock car series?
Old 4 Apr 2000, 18:46 (Ref:7142)   #3
Jared
Racer

Jared should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha, Ha, Ha. Belated April Fools joke, right?
Old 5 Apr 2000, 01:44 (Ref:7143)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ha Ha Marcus, you had me going there. I thought it sounded a bit strange but since it wasn't posted on April 1st I thought it might have validity. You know they made the four door Taurus a two door for Winston Cup. Anything is possible with sheet metal.
Old 5 Apr 2000, 15:45 (Ref:7144)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
guess what ???

I didnt even pick it for an april fools joke...I thought it was true..so now I will vanish with egg on my face...I should have known...Guess i was starved for news.
Old 14 Apr 2000, 14:11 (Ref:7145)   #6
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dr. Porsche must be rolling over in his grave right now. It's not that being involved in truck racing is a bad thing, it is the lack of involvement in the racing that created the Porsche name.