Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 22 Jan 2015, 06:01 (Ref:3495047)   #51
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
Sorry disagree, with Holden and Ford closing shop it's going to get better?
It's all racing. The TL's weren't relevant as VZ Commodores and BA Falcons but still drew crowds in 06/07/08 before the shemozzle between the various parties. After all, the SuperTourer chassis allows for body panels to be chopped and changed - most notably the Hyundai ST - and I'm sure they could shoehorn a different engine into the chassis if they really wanted to.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 06:56 (Ref:3495058)   #52
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi tailgater....welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy being part of the discussion
One question....why is V8SC still successful and has a huge following worldwide and is considered by many the toughest touring car championship in the world?
Either side of the fence you sit on, both NZST and NZV8TC are in a way trying to do the same kind of thing. So i dont think either are really dead ducks. Its just because the split has caused confusion amongst the average punter, which in turn drives them away.
I think however that your point may be valid in a couple of years when supercar$ moves away from its traditional v8 engine format.

I will have to disagree with 20b though, and i do appreciate his opinion. Show me where the TLX has attitude? Yes they all sound different. Yes they have more diversity with regards to the range of body and engine options. But attitude to me is to do with how the cars take corners. look at t1 at Pukekohe and compare the stance/attitude of the cars as they bounce over the kerbs. ST is nearly at a 45 degree angle whereas TLX attack those kerbs similar to as TL car. Your interpretation of attitude may be different to mine, but that's my take on attitude. I think the nissan sounds great to be fair and looks the part to, maybe thats how you quantify attitude. But with only 2 competitive cars and drivers it makes for boring racing.
At the very least the ST'S may all sound the same but their attitude on the race track represents good hard racing, even when the numbers are low. Do you want quality or quantity?

Its just a difference of opinion at the end of the day. But talk to any driver of substance and they will tell you which is the better all round package.

One good point from 20b is the sound. ST can and often does sound mundane and i for one would like to see improvements in that area. The tlx cars do seem to be louder but their bark is way worse than their bite.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 08:46 (Ref:3495065)   #53
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20b View Post
The SuperTourer however has more of a drone to it, and lacks any real character.
agree.. but then again I am biased the ST reminds me of the old GT3 Cup Cars. very quick cars.. but lacking that certain something.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 19:59 (Ref:3495252)   #54
GT 86
Racer

GT 86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One good point from 20b is the sound. ST can and often does sound mundane and i for one would like to see improvements in that area. The tlx cars do seem to be louder but their bark is way worse than their bite.[/QUOTE]

Put a Motorsport NZ official on the side of the track with a decibel reader with a TLX at one meeting and another at a ST and Im sure the readings would be quite different and the TLX official would propalbly shut his eyes and ears. From what I understand the ST was built from the start to complie easily with the noise restrictions currently and for the future.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 21:10 (Ref:3495274)   #55
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 86 View Post
One good point from 20b is the sound. ST can and often does sound mundane and i for one would like to see improvements in that area. The tlx cars do seem to be louder but their bark is way worse than their bite.
Put a Motorsport NZ official on the side of the track with a decibel reader with a TLX at one meeting and another at a ST and Im sure the readings would be quite different and the TLX official would propalbly shut his eyes and ears. From what I understand the ST was built from the start to complie easily with the noise restrictions currently and for the future.[/QUOTE]
I would have thought that the bigger ST engine would naturally have a much deeper sound.

With noise meters what you hear is does not nessesarily equate to noise higher measurements.
Old 22 Jan 2015, 23:48 (Ref:3495354)   #56
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ST's sound terrible from the right hand side, slightly more acceptable from the left. Hampton Downs does not flatter them from the in field, but as a spectator at Pukekohe the sound isn't too much of an issue.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 03:56 (Ref:3495409)   #57
tailgater
Rookie

tailgater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
confused

Hi again fellas

Since my last post the forum has changed topic to which cars sound better, which cars can use more curb and look better mid turn, I am sorry but do you guys not think this is irrelevant? Competitors can't afford to race, attendance levels are down, there is literally no commercially viable corporate sponsorship in either series, there is no career path for any of these drivers beyond running their fathers out of money and you guys think that dangling a microphone beside the track to see which series has a louder car is the answer to move toward the future?

Am I the only one that feels that people are potentially missing the bigger picture here?

Thoughts please
Old 23 Jan 2015, 05:06 (Ref:3495416)   #58
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Back onto the topic of this thread....I see NZST have announced that Tony D'Alberto is to race in the sprints in Foggys car and then the 2 pair up for the enduros. Great stuff and Tony is a real nice guy who rates the cars highly and enjoys his racing in NZ.
Seems a few more entries are on the cards and also NZST are going to be running the 2 south island rounds too.
Are we seeing a more upbeat ST category emerging?
Old 23 Jan 2015, 05:34 (Ref:3495419)   #59
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Back onto the topic of this thread....I see NZST have announced that Tony D'Alberto is to race in the sprints in Foggys car and then the 2 pair up for the enduros. Great stuff and Tony is a real nice guy who rates the cars highly and enjoys his racing in NZ.
Seems a few more entries are on the cards and also NZST are going to be running the 2 south island rounds too.
Are we seeing a more upbeat ST category emerging?
Tony D'Alberto, is also a class act and will definitely take it to Simon Evan's, Andre Heimgartner, and Dominic Story [who is back in AV8's VE Commodore for Hampton Down's] Tim Edgell and Mitch Cunningham will also be right up at the sharp engine.

One Wild Card entry is expected to be announced next weekend which will surprise and delight all motor racing enthusiast's.

There may only 9 maybe 10 ST cars at Hampton Down's but the racing is guaranteed to be fast and furious never the less.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 06:05 (Ref:3495425)   #60
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Hmmm wonder who the wild card will be?
Look forward to that.
Even if it is only 10 STs I agree the racing as always will be good. Add to that its going to be at what i consider to be the spiritual home of ST, Hampers....its where it all started.
And TRS there as well.
I just hope the average punter sees the big picture and can hold on for the rest of the season and also next season.
Even at 10 cars which has to be the lowest in NZST records, its still double what the TLX camp can pump out on a good day. And then there is driver quality......
Old 23 Jan 2015, 06:22 (Ref:3495426)   #61
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
9-10 cars, huh? what does a ST weekend pass cost these days?
Old 23 Jan 2015, 07:26 (Ref:3495432)   #62
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Dunno...
But it should be free imo...
What did it cost for a weekend pass at ruapuna last weekend?
Old 23 Jan 2015, 07:58 (Ref:3495440)   #63
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
what does a TRS meeting have to do with the price of a ST weekend pass?
Old 23 Jan 2015, 09:32 (Ref:3495468)   #64
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Look forward to that.
Even if it is only 10 STs I agree the racing as always will be good. Add to that its going to be at what i consider to be the spiritual home of ST, Hampers....its where it all started.
And TRS there as well.
I just hope the average punter sees the big picture and can hold on for the rest of the season and also next season.
Even at 10 cars which has to be the lowest in NZST records, its still double what the TLX camp can pump out on a good day. And then there is driver quality......
Hey STfan,

You forgot about the 30 Ssangyong Utes, going to be awesome racing even if they are slow in a straight line!

And by the way why do you think entry should be Free? Surely you were joking!
Old 23 Jan 2015, 20:31 (Ref:3495710)   #65
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
You forgot about the 30 Ssangyong Utes, going to be awesome racing even if they are slow in a straight line!
slow in a straight line? they're slow fullstop!

I think you're dreaming if you think the SsangYong series is a crowd puller lol Apart from the parents of the drivers.. does anyone actually care about this series?
Old 23 Jan 2015, 20:39 (Ref:3495712)   #66
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
It's a damn shame V8 touring car racing has gone from 30 plus cars.. to less than a dozen cars being topped up with Aussie drivers (no offence to the Aussies). The notable absence of local drivers speaks for itself. Soon the grid will look like TRS's.. with only 2-3 kiwis in it. What a shame!

Have we gone down the right path? No we have not.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 21:03 (Ref:3495722)   #67
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Aussie drivers are only over here for driving time and free holidays.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3495723)   #68
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Look forward to that.
And TRS there as well.
Might be Marcus, he needs a bit of driving time.
Old 23 Jan 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3495724)   #69
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
It's a damn shame V8 touring car racing has gone from 30 plus cars.. to less than a dozen cars being topped up with Aussie drivers (no offence to the Aussies). The notable absence of local drivers speaks for itself. Soon the grid will look like TRS's.. with only 2-3 kiwis in it. What a shame!

Have we gone down the right path? No we have not.
Serious question Promax, please take some time to share with us which path we need to go down, as you have stated quote, "No we have not", which infers that you obviously know which is the right path to go down otherwise how else would you know that "we have not"
Old 23 Jan 2015, 22:00 (Ref:3495753)   #70
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
Might be Marcus, he needs a bit of driving time.
a team could put Superman in a car.. and it wouldn't change a thing. the current product is poor!
Old 23 Jan 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3495760)   #71
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Serious question Promax, please take some time to share with us which path we need to go down, as you have stated quote, "No we have not", which infers that you obviously know which is the right path to go down otherwise how else would you know that "we have not"
starting a TL series to compete against the current TL series.. wasn't the right path. all these tier 1 meetings MSNZ/ST that can't attract paying spectators... isn't the right path. honestly.. what we have today at the tier 1 level is very, very poor. I'm not even sure if combining the TLX with ST will bring the crowds back.
Old 24 Jan 2015, 03:37 (Ref:3495851)   #72
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgater View Post
Hi again fellas

Since my last post the forum has changed topic to which cars sound better, which cars can use more curb and look better mid turn, I am sorry but do you guys not think this is irrelevant? Competitors can't afford to race, attendance levels are down, there is literally no commercially viable corporate sponsorship in either series, there is no career path for any of these drivers beyond running their fathers out of money and you guys think that dangling a microphone beside the track to see which series has a louder car is the answer to move toward the future?

Am I the only one that feels that people are potentially missing the bigger picture here?

Thoughts please
Welcome to the interwebz.
Perhaps you could invoke Godwins Law and mention the funny fellow with the silly facial hair. Then we'd have to start again.

The perspective to take is that discussion hinges around what the true cost of competing is.
The total is what it is.
Relative to what has gone before, $$$ vs Speed vs level of competition the ST stacks up.

I tend to agree with promax here. The whole thing is pretty broken and perhaps there is a real sense of who cares. Certainly something has changed

Having the ongoing 'trench warfare' mentality means nothing will change .
Shame really
Old 24 Jan 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3495939)   #73
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to TV3 news Mitch Cunningham will be racing a V8ST at Hampton Downs.
Old 24 Jan 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3496097)   #74
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
lol oh you lie abutler! the local media NEVER does items on local motorsport well.. according to people who post in this forum they don't

has Mitch got a GP2 or a 3.5 seat lined up for the new season?
Old 24 Jan 2015, 21:33 (Ref:3496295)   #75
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Awesome news wonder who's car he will be in? And will it run a smeg livery for the weekend?