Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Aug 2014, 21:46 (Ref:3445199)   #26
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if the CT05-Renault is as quick as the SF14-Toyota. I guess we'll find out at Suzuka.

It would be good to see Lotterer in F1 for a short bit. Not that he would set the world alight, but he could prove that a well traveled driver can still be competent in F1. That being said, Duval might be a better choice as he has done a bit better (in a lesser team) recently in SF. I wonder if Loic would have been rumoured to make this move had he not had his LM accident. Though thinking about the Albers-Lotterer connection from the Kolles Audi days, perhaps not.

Last edited by Beryl; 18 Aug 2014 at 22:10.
Old 18 Aug 2014, 23:10 (Ref:3445219)   #27
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The only thing that would strike me as intriguing is why Lotterer would want to do it. It's hardly an inspiring career move.......
Those are my thoughts as well.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 00:44 (Ref:3445239)   #28
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Well put. I'd go as far to say that I would fear a Badoer-esque performance.

But as already said, the man has no reason to do this. And Kolles/Albers getting their mates in is no solution to the problems they have.
Totally agree with that Matt.
Kolle's seems to be simply putting old friends into seats at Caterham because he doesn't really know or have much pull with anyone else inside the paddock. Some of the choices he's made don't really stack up very well in terms of good form, and most look like they are tottering on the edge of 'tip over'.

This is one of them.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 10:22 (Ref:3445335)   #29
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I rate this as very unlikely. Lotterer already has testing commitments with Audi later this week in Italy, and after that's done, he'll be flying to Japan to run a Super Formula/Formula Nippon race at Motegi. This is by Andre's own admission on his Instagram page.

Either Andre hasn't heard the rumors, or he's not taking them seriously if he has heard them. Or maybe that's his response to the rumors.

Personally, if I were Lotterer (and my bias will show more than a bit here), I'd stay with Audi in the WEC and TOMS in SF, know that I'll be in a car capable of winning in both series and know that I'll be getting paid for my work than got to a team that, like with most other Kolles projects, seems to be teetering on the edge of disaster.

Only reason I can see Catherham doing this anyways is because Andre was raised near Spa and is popular with fans in that area of the world.

Not a good excuse to just plop him in a back-marker F1 car for a single race, though, and I doubt that he'll be bringing a lot of money with him, since I know that at Audi for sure he doesn't have much if anything in the way of personal sponsorship/endorsement deals with him to supplement his salary there.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 10:25 (Ref:3445336)   #30
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks to be a real thing.

Seat fitted, Toms ok to see him miss the SuperFormula this week-end.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 10:26 (Ref:3445338)   #31
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone who thinks Lotterer is a better choice than Kamui needs their head looking at honestly

Kamui was dropped for money despite often better performances than Perez at Sauber.

Lotterer has been out of F1 for a very long time, and although a quick driver in sports cars, that has little relevance in F1 does it.

And he is in his mid 30's! For Gods sake, Caterham go from bad to worse.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 10:31 (Ref:3445339)   #32
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well he is very quick in super formula too so he's not short of single seater experience
Old 19 Aug 2014, 10:53 (Ref:3445345)   #33
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there's any doubting how good Lotterer is. However, it's not going to happen, and if it does, Tony Fernandes will likely cry.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3445351)   #34
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what makes you so sure that it's not going to happen?
Old 19 Aug 2014, 11:20 (Ref:3445354)   #35
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only thing I can see right now is that Andre might be a potential "Friday Driver" for FP1, depending on how soon the Audi test finishes up and if he'll run the SF race this weekend or he can get to Belgium early enough on Friday.

That could be the "publicity coup" there having though about it on that angle.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3445356)   #36
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Tobias Gruner at Auto Motor und Sport this will be officially confirmed this afternoon.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3445359)   #37
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
from some of the other drivers passing through the doors it's almost like kolles is paying back a load of favours he owes drivers who he's shafted in the past with some of his pseudo-projects.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3445362)   #38
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Well, no news from Lotterer himself yet, just a Tweet/Instagram post about his dog getting hit by a car. Fortunately, Andre's dog wasn't seriously injured.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3445406)   #39
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's about money pure and simple... he's come along with a bag of cash.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3445415)   #40
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
there ya go, caldarelli's covering for lotterer in the super formula round: http://www.italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=47847&cat=6
Old 19 Aug 2014, 14:31 (Ref:3445417)   #41
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Kamui was dropped for money despite often better performances than Perez at Sauber.
Whoa, is that true?
Old 19 Aug 2014, 14:35 (Ref:3445418)   #42
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Confirmed by Fox at least.
http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story...tw:fscom:speed

Apparently will now be 'unveiled' tomorrow morning after some documentation was delayed.

Also apparently, James Rossiter was/still is in the frame at Caterham.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 14:41 (Ref:3445420)   #43
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Also apparently, James Rossiter was/still is in the frame at Caterham.
Roll up, roll up... Colin Kolles is back in town... F1 seats available to the highest bidders.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 14:46 (Ref:3445422)   #44
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
rossiter was "in the frame" for a lmp1 seat with kolles this season with his lotus project, so that one makes sense as a consolation prize.

surprised nobody's mentioned the other lad who was lurking there in the past day or so. maybe the source feeding the press didn't recognise him
Old 19 Aug 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3445437)   #45
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotterer and Courtney where fantastic in F3 and as young Jaguar test drivers.

Watching Lotterer excel in Japan after the Jaguar dropping and not get a shot at F1 was always a what would have happened type query for me, same with Jame after that big Monza smash in testing.

This is going to be a bum drive for Lotterer no matter his skill as you can't polish a turd and that car is a turd, having said that I'm pleased to see him get a drive even if it's for one race in a dog of a car.

in hisi 30's is there an possibility to open doors for him in F1 going forward, I have no idea but I'd like to find out.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 17:17 (Ref:3445466)   #46
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest, when you ahve teams in MotpGP and F1 taking kids who are very young, that has to be the trend.

Marquez, Verstappen, Kvyat, they have all got top drives and rides on merit.

Giving a bloke who is out to pasture in sports car racing is a retorgrade step.

I hope he does well, but you get the feeling there is more to this than meets the eye.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3445470)   #47
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

Lotterer has been out of F1 for a very long time, and although a quick driver in sports cars, that has little relevance in F1 does it.
Really?

I would say the needs of a 2014 LMP1 car is closer to that of a 2014 F1 car than a 2013 F1 car, or a GP2 car.

Aside from the transferable skills in car development, feedback and driving a high downforce car, you have the added element of hybrids, fuel-flow meters, and certainly in Toyota's case - and possibly Audi's too - brake-by-wire.

"Little relevance"? I would argue the opposite.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3445475)   #48
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still seems mad to me that he would throw away the chance of winning the Super Formula championship.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3445481)   #49
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Still seems mad to me that he would throw away the chance of winning the Super Formula championship.
'Ex F1 driver' carries more weight in Japan than SF champion. He'll have opportunity to go for the title again.
Old 19 Aug 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3445485)   #50
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Why? He did exactly the same thing last year (as did Loic Duval).
Super Formula is, for those guys, just something to do when not driving sportscars.