Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 26 Apr 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3065706)   #51
McArthur252
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
McArthur252 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember seeing a bent FF1600 in the Oulton Park paddock many years ago after it made a bid for freedom out the back of a truck.

also had the misfortune myself of spinning whilst exiting Silverstone pitlane during practice a couple of years ago. . Luckily got away with only slightly damaging a rim.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3065730)   #52
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In July 2010 I was asked to compete in a charity kart race at Buckmore Park in memory of Henry Surtees. I was given the Number 1 kart and was allowed to be the first kart on track. I then span at the first corner of the first lap and stalled, becoming the first kart to get a push start. So embarrassing!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 26 Apr 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3065745)   #53
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul999 View Post
Not sure if its bad form to mention yourself - but I fell off on the first corner of my first flying lap of my fist ever race... Lesson well learnt about not letting someone else torque wheel nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4acwTj4shA
Haha, remember that one. You were a little surprised when one of our gang spotted that there were no nuts and the thread was entirely undamaged. If I remember rightly, you told me the electrics were off too, when they weren't
Old 26 Apr 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3065751)   #54
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjt1985 View Post
I 100% agree. In my other job (claims handler) I read many police reports and they are as useful as a wet paper towel! The best information we ever get is who the other person was and who they are insured by! The rest really is just speculation based on what both drivers said at the scene (which we have anyway). Clear the road and get going again!!!

Other point would be to put a PC at each bridge who will write a proper account to go to each insurance company!
I once witnessed an RTA (and got involved in sorting it out. The other bystanders must have wondered who I was, barking orders and asking if the electrics had been turned off). Plod said they would come and take a statement in a few days so I thought it would be a good idea to make a few notes. The only paper I had with me was a BARC report form so I completed that, including a sketch of the "incident". Sergeant Plod was very impressed!
Old 26 Apr 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3065801)   #55
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
How many figures Dave?
All of them - very ladylike!

(Thanks to Jim I now understand the question!)
Old 26 Apr 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3065880)   #56
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
I once witnessed an RTA (and got involved in sorting it out. The other bystanders must have wondered who I was, barking orders and asking if the electrics had been turned off). Plod said they would come and take a statement in a few days so I thought it would be a good idea to make a few notes. The only paper I had with me was a BARC report form so I completed that, including a sketch of the "incident". Sergeant Plod was very impressed!
So I'm not the only one! After witnessing a t-bone from someone running a red, I did one on a Vancouver Indy CART report form, complete with drawing and (I must have been on autopilot) my name and SCCA license number! I remember "coming to" and realizing what had stopped me was the form asking for the car numbers involved, turn number and flag conditions before and after incident. I had already filled out track condition as "dry, clear."

Unlike Sergeant Plod above, though, the RCMP officer attending was suspicious as to why I had such a report form in my glove box, and "Gee, I dunno," wasn't the right answer. Sigh.

keke
Old 26 Apr 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3065895)   #57
sunny.traveller
Racer

sunny.traveller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely one of the quickest incidents must have been the 2011 Birkett at Silverstone? Not sure if the whole grid had passed the startline when the race stop was called.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3065949)   #58
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rta, last year on way home from anglesey, dual carrige way, two young girls and a child in a 206, hit the armco an roll infront of me. there car in outside lane on its roof leaking fuel. mine on the hard shoulder. still in orange, ran to them, got the three out the car as people just swerving round it. went back and killed engine then went about filtering traffic. first fire engine on scene, walked up to incident cheif an gave full de-breif including injuries and accident details, lookin at me puzzled i turned round to show him the marshals incident badges to which he then replied, awesome, well done.
unfortunatly then went to have to show the police were the tyre marks and impact marks were on the road as they couldnt see them, they wernt as complimentary as i helped in their job
Old 27 Apr 2012, 20:54 (Ref:3066329)   #59
Paul999
Rookie

England
Bucks
Paul999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
Haha, remember that one. You were a little surprised when one of our gang spotted that there were no nuts and the thread was entirely undamaged. If I remember rightly, you told me the electrics were off too, when they weren't
Like they say, you never forget your first time! Cheers for being gentle with me
Old 28 Apr 2012, 19:32 (Ref:3066665)   #60
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Startline @ MIRA, Roy Salsbury and I were holding a Jedi back (Downhill sloping start), the driver gave it full beans, popped the clutch, and the drive chain shot off between us and headed towards the car in the warm-up area... Does THAT count?
Old 28 Apr 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3066670)   #61
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwaynesmith View Post
Startline @ MIRA, Roy Salsbury and I were holding a Jedi back (Downhill sloping start), the driver gave it full beans, popped the clutch, and the drive chain shot off between us and headed towards the car in the warm-up area... Does THAT count?
think so
Old 28 Apr 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3066672)   #62
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
just thinkin, think we should start another thread with latest incident ever, know some belters, point in example from the other week at brit gt, vw race, on druids corner at oulton, only one corner after that, last lap, beetle bins it in the gravel, driver full of beans and havin a laff even though he knows what he has done. jokingly we say at least it was on camera for his sponsors, pointin at the camera right next to his car, he shouts at the camera man did he get the car an incident, camera man replies with ye, the full thing. made up driver, big smile on his face walks over to shake hands with the camera man
Old 29 Apr 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3067151)   #63
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel_monkey View Post
just thinkin, think we should start another thread with latest incident ever, know some belters, point in example from the other week at brit gt, vw race, on druids corner at oulton, only one corner after that, last lap, beetle bins it in the gravel, driver full of beans and havin a laff even though he knows what he has done. jokingly we say at least it was on camera for his sponsors, pointin at the camera right next to his car, he shouts at the camera man did he get the car an incident, camera man replies with ye, the full thing. made up driver, big smile on his face walks over to shake hands with the camera man
One from today at Donington. Not sure of the race, but I heard chequered flag on the radio, then about 30 seconds later the red lights came on! Very quickly Race Control came on the radio to explain that their is a red as well as chequered, so instead of waving at the winner, I got to wave to a bemused driver with a red flag! I'm not sure but I think the incident was in the final corner. Could be wrong though!

Also on the earliest front, one of the cars spun on the first of 2 green flag/pace laps in front of me, and rejoined at the back of the field. On the second lap he was back in his position. He was called in for a stop/go but I don't know if that was the reason why...
Old 29 Apr 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3067183)   #64
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was a race for American big bangers at Mallory where someone was using his very nice red American convertable as honourary pace car. He spun it at Devil's Elbow meaning the race went red before it had gone green.

Didn't Daley Thompson roll his Peugeot into the pit lane entrance at Silverstone on the rolling start, before he reached the start line? I also remember FFords at Donington having a monster shunt involving about 12 cars before they'd reached the start line.

For latest incident, I had two Star of Mallory FFords hit each other after the checkered flag. There was also a shunt in a Megane series (Dutch?) at Doni at the Old Hairpin on the slowing down lap. Seems they'd had a disagreement during the race and continued it terminally after the flag.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:37 (Ref:3067335)   #65
Bezzers1986
Racer

England
East Anglia
Bezzers1986 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel_monkey View Post
After the LMS at Silverstone a couple of years ago two prototypes decided to remodel on the start finish straight after the chequered flag.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3067454)   #66
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nurburgring 24 hour race a couple of years ago. Two cars, totally undamaged after 2 days of practice and qualifying and 24 hours of hard racing, drivers waving to crowd and the marshals on the hill towards the Karussel. Cars touch, one rolls on top of the armco and ends up inverted on the track with the other car impaled in the armco on the other side of the track.

So does an incident after 4 days of competing count as the latest?

Note - both drivers totally unhurt, but i did have to tell the driver of the inverted car to stop smoking a cigarette next to his car!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 30 Apr 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3067475)   #67
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
This ones pretty quick

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u8jOBDoKho
Old 30 Apr 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3067564)   #68
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
There was a race for American big bangers at Mallory where someone was using his very nice red American convertable as honourary pace car. He spun it at Devil's Elbow meaning the race went red before it had gone green.
That reminds me of the second Toronto Molson Indy, working yellow on the back wiggly bits (numbers have changed since so no use mentioning station), when Pancho Carter spun the pace car just after our flags on the last pace lap. It's narrow there, and we were practically blinded by the methanol fumes from the full tanks, but I got the flag out. The whole pack, led by Bobby Rahal, split like the Tour de France peleton going through a roundabout, and squeezed by the crosswise pace car left and right. Didn't even have to do another pace lap, as I remember, just carried on without him.

Took us quite a while to get our heart rates under control after that.
keke
Old 30 Apr 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3067646)   #69
happyhammer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Poole
happyhammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bumper cars at Thruxton 3 years ago. Post 4. Darren Turner came out of the pit lane on the way to the grid, and promptly put it into the armco opposite me, having gone probably a little over 100 yards. Broken steering*. Also, in the next race, he made the start, bujt then put it in at post 2 on the first lap.

* EDIT - to clarify, that was the result, not the cause as far as I know.
Forgot about that one, I must have been on post with you! Of course that was in the pre-drought era when the ability to swim to your post wasn't a necessary qualification to be a marshal at Thruxton!
Old 2 May 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3068477)   #70
reef1234
Rookie

reef1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bumper cars at Thruxton 3 years ago. Post 4. Darren Turner came out of the pit lane on the way to the grid, and promptly put it into the armco opposite me, having gone probably a little over 100 yards. Broken steering*. Also, in the next race, he made the start, bujt then put it in at post 2 on the first lap.

* EDIT - to clarify, that was the result, not the cause as far as I know.
Last time DT drove at Thruxton was 2007, Puncture race 1 and then race 2, p11, race 3 p6

Must have been another SEAT 3 years later! Always good to get facts right!
Old 2 May 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3068495)   #71
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Did I see a marshal sporting yellow overalls in that clip?

Might cause some confusion on occasion.
Old 2 May 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3068496)   #72
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzers1986 View Post
After the LMS at Silverstone a couple of years ago two prototypes decided to remodel on the start finish straight after the chequered flag.
Remember it well Beezers, as I was on pedestrian bridge post waving the repeater chequered flag. Unbeknown to me the Rebellion Lola had stopped on the pit straight, alongside the end of the pit wall, where all his crew were celebrating. Another driver drove alongside the pit wall waving at his crew, who were half way along, and didn't notice the Rebellion Lola, tried to avoid it, but slammed (at right angles) into the back of it.
It's never over until it's over!
Old 2 May 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3068536)   #73
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Did I see a marshal sporting yellow overalls in that clip?

Might cause some confusion on occasion.
Well spotted! All the start-line and pits marshals appeared to be wearing yellow!
Old 3 May 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3068984)   #74
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjt1985 View Post
Also on the earliest front, one of the cars spun on the first of 2 green flag/pace laps in front of me, and rejoined at the back of the field. On the second lap he was back in his position. He was called in for a stop/go but I don't know if that was the reason why...
That will have been the reason, Chris. If he had rejoined before the whole pack had passed him he could have taken up his position but if everyone had gone by he should have started from the back of the grid.
Old 3 May 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3068996)   #75
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by reef1234 View Post
Last time DT drove at Thruxton was 2007, Puncture race 1 and then race 2, p11, race 3 p6

Must have been another SEAT 3 years later! Always good to get facts right!
Hmm, maybe it was Dan Eaves then