Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Jan 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3351475)   #26
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It has always amazed me that owners do not put monitored GPS trackers in both the car and the trailer. They aren't fool proof but it gives some chance of tracking both and was the first thing we installed when we bought the trailer and race vehicle. If the right precautions aren't taken you get what you deserve. Even if it goes OS and the thieves do not know the GPS is in the car the better trackers will tell you where it is.
Do these GPS trackers work if the thieves put the car in a pantech or a shipping container?
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3351480)   #27
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinnyMan View Post
I don't believe he was joking??? : )

I can't agree with your assumption that they hadn't "taken basic steps to protect their assets".
The initial report suggested that the locks to the gates of the factory grounds were cut as were
the locks to the tralier - where the car was. Locks sound like a "basic measure" of resistance to me.
It's not like they parked the car out the front and said "come and get it".

"The mechanical engineer said the car was stored in a trailer and was wedged between two other cars
in the workshop, meaning the thieves would have had to drag the trailer sideways to remove it".
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...-1226796235774

While Installing CCTV and security camera's is a good measure and may have helped identify the culprits,
I don't think it wasn't necessarily going to stop the theft. The gates and trailer were locked. What more did
you want them to do???
So you're saying, that if this guy had camera's, which alerted him the first second the motion sensor was actiated, that the theft wouldn't have been prevented?
While the cops may not have got there straight away, it would be pretty obvious that a car trailer was driving down the road near where the break in had occured and they would have been arrested....

Once again, i find it silly that someone with such assets (going by the pics he has alot more cars) doesn't have an eye on them at all times. I do, and my cars wouldn't be worth as much as a set of rubber for his cars!
Old 8 Jan 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3351500)   #28
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
maybe it was the trailer someone wanted
The trailer was found on Christmas Day near Phillip Island, had stolen plates on it which made identifying the owner harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
According to Ch.9, car has been found overnight, great result and great work by Police.
Hardly. VicPol spent three weeks getting nowhere while this was all over Social Media.

They finally put out a Press Release on the theft which the general media picked up yesterday and obviously spooked the thieves who dumped the car in Belgrave last night and was seen and recognised by a passer by who called the Police.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 07:24 (Ref:3351916)   #29
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jay posted this somewhere else on Facebook and give a description of the damage they did.

"I have finally had a chance to go over some of the car and it does not look good.

It was run and it is covered in mud and gravel .

The half shafts are bent and broken and the cars rims are bent on the right hand side rear where it has hit something.

The front RH side is sitting up 15 mm and the chassis may be bent and the alloy under tray is bent.

The wheels are pointing the wrong way, bent front end.

The rack looks bent but will have to have it looked at.

The bodywork will have to be repaired and fully repainted.

A new rear wing will be required as the old one is bent in the centre.

Gearbox and clutch will have to be inspected and tested as will all of the uprights and arms.

A new radiator and duct will have to be made.

The engine looks like it was cooked and it has no water in it.

A lot of small parts have been removed and it looks like they were going to paint it.

So basically a full rebuild from the ground up."
Old 9 Jan 2014, 09:04 (Ref:3351942)   #30
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad they found it, shame it's been damaged.

Regarding the security situation, yes it sounds like he had "basic" security ( gate padlocked etc ), but with all the cars he's got in there, and being worth what they are, and in the case of the Renmax irreplaceable, basic security measures aren't enough. Security should be tailored to what it is protecting. A padlocked gate is fine when you've got and old 6cyl 4 door falcon behind it, but when you've got millions of dollars worth of gear in the shed you should have something a bit better. Unfortunately for him he's just learnt the hard ( and now expensive ) way.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 11:22 (Ref:3351972)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
I'm glad they found it, shame it's been damaged.
That's not damaged, that's totally donald ducked!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Jan 2014, 13:49 (Ref:3352040)   #32
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shirley someone would of heard a such a car being thrashed around as it seems to of been...
Old 9 Jan 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3352222)   #33
NinnyMan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
NinnyMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
So you're saying, that if this guy had camera's, which alerted him the first second the motion sensor was activated, that the theft wouldn't have been prevented?
If someone want's to pinch something that badly no anti-theft devices will likely stop them.
I am sure that camera's would have been a benefit in this situation to help identify the culprits,
but there's no saying that it would have definately prevented the theft in the first place.

If you have the car locked in a trailer, parked in locked premises one could suspect that you
have done atleast something to protect the assets. Once again I ask the question of those
having a go at the owner, other then the camera's, maybe a guard dog, what more did you
expect him to do???
Old 9 Jan 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3352228)   #34
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If someone want's to pinch something that badly no anti-theft devices will likely stop them.
I am sure that camera's would have been a benefit in this situation to help identify the culprits,
but there's no saying that it would have definately prevented the theft in the first place.

If you have the car locked in a trailer, parked in locked premises one could suspect that you
have done atleast something to protect the assets. Once again I ask the question of those
having a go at the owner, other then the camera's, maybe a guard dog, what more did you
expect him to do???
My comments arent about getting detterants (or to identify them after the fact), they are about giving yourself sufficent resources to see IF something is happening, and then the authorities can do the rest!

With a live feed of camera's with alerts, he would be notified straight away. He would then call the cops who take this kind of thing pretty seriously, and they would hhave been stopped before they even got the car out of the trailer!

Protip, a $20 padlock is not suffucient security for millions of dollars.
Old 9 Jan 2014, 23:16 (Ref:3352231)   #35
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
A local farmer to me several years back left his Land Rover parked on double yellow lines with an electric fence unit earthed and operating,
A good idea except a traffic warden tried to put a ticket on it and got a belt !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Jan 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3352249)   #36
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what we are talking about ...

Hopefully, with insurance the car can be repaired speedily.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3353842)   #37
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

expect him to do???
Put a GPS tracker in it and another in the trailer, they would have had it back in hours and before it was run most probably. I cannot understand why competition car owners do not use them, it was the first thing I fitted.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3354074)   #38
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Put a GPS tracker in it and another in the trailer, they would have had it back in hours and before it was run most probably. I cannot understand why competition car owners do not use them, it was the first thing I fitted.
No one answered my question, so i'll ask it again.

Do GPS trackers work if the thieves put the car in a pantech or a shipping container or a shed?
Old 14 Jan 2014, 23:41 (Ref:3354084)   #39
racerdad2
Rookie

racerdad2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too many variables. Thickness of sheet metal in containers, sheds, tracker location, etc.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 00:02 (Ref:3354088)   #40
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Notice I said put two trackers, one in the trailer and one in the car. The trailer will be tracked initially until it is hidden in a tin shed or factory so leads you to an initial point where the GPS stopped. If the trailer is left out in the open the GPS should still work unless the thieves become aware of it, unlikely if it is installed properly. The car tracker will not be visible until it is removed from the trailer if the trailer is out in the open. Then if they are separated you still have two trackers working and a starting point from the trailer. Everyone is going to tell me that there are one million circumstances that prevent a GPD tracker from working and they are right. The chances are though that using two independent trackers will get you a whole lot further that looking at a blank bit of concrete or an empty shed where a valuable race car once was and it can be done for bugger all cost. Some trackers work even if the vehicle is taken to another country but best of luck getting it back as it ain't going to happen. This vehicle would have been recovered straight away if a tracker had been in both the trailer and the car. It is one of the cheaper methods of security and should give the police at least a leg up in finding the stolen vehicle.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 08:05 (Ref:3354594)   #41
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
How long do these trackers work with an external power connection ??
Old 16 Jan 2014, 08:23 (Ref:3354599)   #42
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
How long do these trackers work with an external power connection ??
How long is a piece of string? How big is the external power supply? the one I use goes to sleep unless it is required and that can be by a motion detector or current level change if in a car, or door entry & motion if a trailer and uses milliamps if it is in standby so a long time. Mine sends an alert to my mobile as well as to a 24 hour base station and I can control all functions from my phone. If it is in the car you can turn the car off remotely as well. I still find it totally absurd that competition car owners do not use them but bleat and moan when a car goes missing. A road car is easy to replace but a unique race car with many hours of blood, sweat and tears in it can't be or at least not easily.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3354611)   #43
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
How long is a piece of string? How big is the external power supply? the one I use goes to sleep unless it is required and that can be by a motion detector or current level change if in a car, or door entry & motion if a trailer and uses milliamps if it is in standby so a long time. Mine sends an alert to my mobile as well as to a 24 hour base station and I can control all functions from my phone. If it is in the car you can turn the car off remotely as well. I still find it totally absurd that competition car owners do not use them but bleat and moan when a car goes missing. A road car is easy to replace but a unique race car with many hours of blood, sweat and tears in it can't be or at least not easily.
How much do they cost?
Old 16 Jan 2014, 09:19 (Ref:3354615)   #44
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
How much do they cost?
Cheaper than a new race car, Do a search. I use this one but only because I have family connections. http://www.ezitrak.com.au

They have been around for years and have a very big clientele in the earth moving industry where machines tend to get ripped off a lot. There are lots out there to choose from so pick what suits.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 21:23 (Ref:3354909)   #45
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Cheaper than a new race car, Do a search. I use this one but only because I have family connections. http://www.ezitrak.com.au

They have been around for years and have a very big clientele in the earth moving industry where machines tend to get ripped off a lot. There are lots out there to choose from so pick what suits.
How far underground do they work ?
Old 16 Jan 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3354984)   #46
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
A GPS will not work unless there is clear line of sight to a satellite.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 03:23 (Ref:3355008)   #47
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Quote:
A GPS will not work unless there is clear line of sight to a satellite.
I hope they bite that well this run off.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 05:57 (Ref:3355022)   #48
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
I hope they bite that well this run off.
I knew what he was after and he was trolling to see what I would say. You point is???????????????????????????????
Old 17 Jan 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3355138)   #49
Casper
Veteran

Perhaps sizzle is fishing in a leaky boat and can't reach a computer.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3357641)   #50
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I knew what he was after and he was trolling to see what I would say. You point is???????????????????????????????
I resemble that troll remark!...no...just pointing out that there are many ways to secret stuff to those with the knowledge...including burying it (suitably wrapped) or underground mines etc

[don't get me started on faraday cages and tinfoil hats!]