Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 10 Nov 2005, 23:08 (Ref:1457700)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rear wheel drive race schools?

All,
What with the season's end, Christmas coming and a wish to do a bit better next year, I'm thinking of asking Santa for some tuition. (NOT in sleigh driving) But I want it in a rear wheel drive car, and the ARDS schools I've asked have front wheel drive cars.

Which have RWD cars, please?

John
Old 11 Nov 2005, 01:21 (Ref:1457782)   #2
Séamas M.
Racer

Northern Ireland
Lurgan,County Armagh
Séamas M. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Step up to Formula Ford young man, you know you want to, really!!!!
Old 11 Nov 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1457891)   #3
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of ARDS instructors will do tuition in your own car, if that's possible.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1458465)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
What sort of type and era of cars are you looking for John? Mallory have an ards school and they also (last time I looked) had some D-type Jaguars which the senior instructor is fond of. Or for something quite different, Rockingham run Ford engined single seaters. I did a "track experience" there and they were a joy to drive.... except the gearshift maybe ;-). Anyway, the instructor there said they did individual tuition. Hope this helps.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1458653)   #5
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Kind of difficult to give decent tuition in a single seater? If you find a place, can you post it back here, as I never got beyond contacting some of the faces in the back of Autosport.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1458762)   #6
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
Kind of difficult to give decent tuition in a single seater?
Andy, I would have thought that was down to the skill of the instructor. There must be lots of sports where they can't easily talk someone through what they are doing as they do it. In karting I had some tuition and my instructor used to drive round behind me for a few laps then pull into the pits and discuss lines, braking points etc. If necessary he would drive round in-front of me to show me. Then he would get me to try and overtake him, or defend my position, at a particular corner to get the hang of off-line braking etc... Isn't single seaters the same?

As for where to get tuition, I think Oulton Park and Silverstone both have single seat race schools. I haven't tried one myself, but having chatted to a couple of instructors about this sort of thing, they seem to be very flexible about how you what to play it, at a price of course. Couple of years ago a friend wanted specific tuition for Croft in his Coupe, but for some reason he didn't want the instructor in his car. He got a Silverstone instructor to go to Croft, fit data logging and telemetry equipment to the car, then spend two days analysing laps and making suggestions as to how to improve his lap times. Came in at about £1k/day I think. So, I guess it just depends on how much John whats to spend.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 23:27 (Ref:1459971)   #7
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never having had race tuition, beyond my original ARDS course, I've no idea if the 'mode' is in-car real time, or out-of-car review. But I race a rear wheel drive saloon type car, and the differences from my front wheel drive road car are so great I don't see the point of tuition at this level in anything other that the type I race.
Is it that the only range of RWD production cars are now BMWs? Too pricey for a race a school.

But £1000/day! If it's like that I'll muddle along, thank you!

I'll keep on looking.

John
Old 14 Nov 2005, 03:31 (Ref:1460035)   #8
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would of thought just get through your ARDS course and go out and play with your own car.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 08:11 (Ref:1460118)   #9
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
That kind of works for a while, but you will certainly benefit from tuition. Eg, how many non-racers realise the importance of corner exit speed on a decent laptime?
Old 14 Nov 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1460377)   #10
JohnD
Veteran

Team 78,
My ARDS was more than ten years ago.
If just doing it worked I'd be a lot better driver by now!

John
Old 14 Nov 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1460427)   #11
GarrettMacD
Rookie

Ireland
Lovely (?) Leicester
GarrettMacD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD
All,
What with the season's end, Christmas coming and a wish to do a bit better next year, I'm thinking of asking Santa for some tuition. (NOT in sleigh driving) But I want it in a rear wheel drive car, and the ARDS schools I've asked have front wheel drive cars.

Which have RWD cars, please?

John

Have you tried Simon Mason at Silverstone??? He can do tuition in an Audi A3, Caterham or Lotus Elise. I did A3 on both the National and full G.P. circuits. He's VERY good, as many will attest to. Contact him via his website, www.simonmason.com

I am not connected to him any any way, just a satisfied customer!
Old 14 Nov 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1460650)   #12
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll vouch for Simon.

Silverstone can do PTU's in a Caterham, or an Elise.

Another option is Rob Barff. www.robbarff.com

Rockingham run BMW's (as BMW put a heap of money into the place a few years ago)

If you want a list of other instructors who 'can', let me know, I'll send you some details.

Rob.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1461134)   #13
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
If you want a list of other instructors who 'can', let me know, I'll send you some details. Rob.
Do you know the price range for tuition, or is that just between an instructor and his pupil?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1461152)   #14
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Theres a guy near Snetterton who offered to instruct in a Porsche 924 for around the 500GBP mark I think. Not sure if he still does it though.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1462076)   #15
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton use rear wheel drive cars
Old 16 Nov 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1462516)   #16
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpearson
Thruxton use rear wheel drive cars
When I was there last, they had some MG-ZS-180's, which seemed to drive up front, though they've replaced them with Mazda RX-8's so it turns out.

Dtype - a PM is on it's way.

Rob.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1463531)   #17
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD
Never having had race tuition, beyond my original ARDS course, I've no idea if the 'mode' is in-car real time, or out-of-car review. But I race a rear wheel drive saloon type car, and the differences from my front wheel drive road car are so great I don't see the point of tuition at this level in anything other that the type I race.
Is it that the only range of RWD production cars are now BMWs? Too pricey for a race a school.

But £1000/day! If it's like that I'll muddle along, thank you!

I'll keep on looking.

John
John - Croft (where I instruct) has (in the rear wheel drive area) Porsche 944 Turbos, Ginettas, Ferrari 328 and Caterhams. I'd recommend the Porsche or Caterham if you currently race rwd saloons. Individual tuition is usually fitted in alongside a school day, but you will get time out without pupils on track, and a senior instructor (i.e. not me )