Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 19 Apr 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2866680)   #26
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bump day is gonna be interesting this year....
Old 24 Apr 2011, 08:41 (Ref:2868871)   #27
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it rather likely that Milka would not make it into the field on bump day? Coyne's best choice for Indy sure enough is Alex Lloyd. He finished 4th there last year. That must have been payday for Coyne. Plus, he's had more good results at the track, so he's likely to get another this year.
Old 3 May 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2873642)   #28
JasonZBell
Rookie

JasonZBell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm so fired up about this year's 500! For the first time in my life, I will be watching the race in person and spending time with a team that is running in the Star Mazda series. So, I'll see the Night before the 500 and Indy 500 itself. Can't wait! How many others will be there to see it all unfold?

-Jason
Old 3 May 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2873645)   #29
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonZBell View Post
I'm so fired up about this year's 500! For the first time in my life, I will be watching the race in person and spending time with a team that is running in the Star Mazda series. So, I'll see the Night before the 500 and Indy 500 itself. Can't wait! How many others will be there to see it all unfold?

-Jason
Me...

I've missed only 5 Indy 500s since my first one in 1967

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 May 2011, 00:18 (Ref:2873803)   #30
JasonZBell
Rookie

JasonZBell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Me...

I've missed only 5 Indy 500s since my first one in 1967
Well, I was born in 79, so no way I could even compete with that. However, I'm very envious that you have seen all that history!

Any recommendations for a first timer? I arrive in the afternoon on Friday.
Old 4 May 2011, 01:30 (Ref:2873811)   #31
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonZBell View Post
Well, I was born in 79, so no way I could even compete with that. However, I'm very envious that you have seen all that history!

Any recommendations for a first timer? I arrive in the afternoon on Friday.
Another 79'er here too, only time at the speedway was in 2001.

First time, just take it all in. I love the 500 and the first time I go in the entrance I had a lump in my throat I was that happy <puke>

But coming in on the flight to land at Indy, once we broke the cloud cover I could see the Speedway right outside my window! I nearly whooped with excitment!
Old 4 May 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2874034)   #32
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
For those who are not that familiar with all pre-race events.
Would someone please explain the qualifying process for Indy 500?
Old 5 May 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2874476)   #33
Yannick
Veteran

Which team is going to run the Highcroft entry of Simon Pagenaud?

And how many Sam Schmidt affiliated entries are there this year after all?
Alex Tagliani runs for "FAZZT" / Schmidt.
Jay Howard runs for Rahal / Schmidt.
Townsend Bell, does he run for Ganassi / Schmidt again or in the 2nd "FAZZT" / Schmidt car?
Ho-Pin Tung runs for Dragon / Schmidt.
Old 5 May 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2874575)   #34
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In today's Indy Star (see the story about NASCAR tire tests), at the bottom of the article, it covers Rookie Orientation for next week and lists the senven confirmed drivers.

It sayd that there was not confirmation as to whether Pagenaud (Dragon) or Ricardo Teixeira (China/Beck) would be at the test session.

So...China Racing may have surfaced after all.

Old 5 May 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2874812)   #35
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Jason, welcome to Ten-Tenths! I hope that you spend a nice time around here.

Koblefly, you can always check Wikipedia, in particular this section.
Old 5 May 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2874815)   #36
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Teixeira could take a Rookie Test after next Thursday, but the series and the IMS would have to allow for it.

If this is going to surface, we'll know in a week.

The guy's record seems to stink. Only one win (at Formula 3) and in GP2 and other series, he never scored a point and in a couple of races didn't even qualify.

Beck is cashing a check to try for it. I don't think this guy has a chance of making the top 33.

There also are rumors that one of the Laziers might be in a car and that Summerton thinks he can make something happen for the 500.

We'll find out soon enough.

At least he was picked up as a Team Lotus test driver for this year, but it is my understanding that he bought his way into that seat as well.

Old 5 May 2011, 19:35 (Ref:2874898)   #37
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lloyd will race in the #19 car at Indy, and also the other oval races this season. Good to have him on board ...

Texeira ... please not, why should he even attempt, he'll never make into the top 33.
Old 5 May 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2874990)   #38
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Scott Speed in at Dragon.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...t-with-dragon/
Old 6 May 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2875262)   #39
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Speed's had to eat humble pie now then has he, after his arrogant dismissal of IndyCar not so long ago?

Teixeira is absolutely dire as a driver. Worse than Tung, another no hoper (though a nice guy) who I always assumed would be in that China Racing entry.

If you search at the NISS forum you'll probably find some amusing comments about Teixeira's talents. Most notable thing he's ever done is this. Doubt he'll qualify, hope he just stays out of everyone else's way. He very much must have bought his Lotus test drive, like most other F1 'test' drivers these days.

I'm guessing Sonangol will still be bankrolling his 'career', although I think they've disappeared from funding Superleague Formula, hence their vastly reduced calendar.
Old 6 May 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2875376)   #40
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I think that there are about 41 drivers announced or to be announced (including Teixeira, who is not "official" yet).

Buddy Lazier might get a seat in the second SFR car if Carpnter gets in safely to make it 42.

Only Tung and Teixeira could be called "stiffs" in this lineup.

That means that some very talented and experienced drivers are going to be quite heartbroken on May 22, when the final "bump" qualifier concludes his/her four laps.

Bump Day is going to be one wild afternoon...especially in the final hour.

I can't wait!

P.S. - Let's hope it doesn't rain

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 6 May 2011 at 19:22.

Old 6 May 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2875427)   #41
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tung is not the world biggest star, but still 10 times better than Texeira. I would rate him just below James Jakes. But with around 40(?) cars who want to qualify, I doubt he makes the grid, but I wish him all the best (since he's half Dutch/half Chinese).

I'm interested what Speed can do in Indycar, I kinda liked him in his GP2 days, but in F1 it went horribly wrong. Although his target should be getting into the top 33, it's gonna be a very interesting bump day this year.
Old 6 May 2011, 16:20 (Ref:2875428)   #42
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
So Speed's had to eat humble pie now then has he, after his arrogant dismissal of IndyCar not so long ago?
Those remarks certainly were not a good introduction of him to IndyCar's fans. Unpleasant words like those and not delivering already cost him his job at Toro Rosso in F1. Apart from that, his track record is quite good so he could well qualify. But having two rookies in one-off entries does not look so good for Dragon Racing, I'm afraid. Why not Jacques Lazier? He was amazing in qualifying in that Roth Racing car a few years ago.
Old 6 May 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2875498)   #43
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Tung is not the world biggest star, but still 10 times better than Texeira. I would rate him just below James Jakes. But with around 40(?) cars who want to qualify, I doubt he makes the grid, but I wish him all the best (since he's half Dutch/half Chinese).

I'm interested what Speed can do in Indycar, I kinda liked him in his GP2 days, but in F1 it went horribly wrong. Although his target should be getting into the top 33, it's gonna be a very interesting bump day this year.
Not just bump day, but throughout qualifying. There are lots of very handy "ringers" who could make the top 24 and push some of the regulars into Bump day
Old 6 May 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2875505)   #44
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
Not just bump day, but throughout qualifying. There are lots of very handy "ringers" who could make the top 24 and push some of the regulars into Bump day
That happened last year, too.

This field is as deep as I've seen in nearly 10 years.

Old 6 May 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2875517)   #45
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
We're going to have to figure out the names of various threads covering the Indy 500, because otherwise, that "indy 500" thread [this one] is going to get HUGE by the end of the month.

I suggest we do a "Qualifying" Thread and a "Race" Thread, but I'm open to reconsidering that and just keeping the one we have now.
How about keeping this thread for news on the paddock (e.g. entry changes) and off-track stuff (pace car driver, Hot Wheels stunt)?
Old 6 May 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2875529)   #46
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
How about keeping this thread for news on the paddock (e.g. entry changes) and off-track stuff (pace car driver, Hot Wheels stunt)?
Sounds Like a Plan.

I'll eventually create separate "Practice," "Qualifying," and "Race" Threads so that we can track all of those separately and it'll be much easier to follow what is happening in the cars at speed in those threads.

Old 6 May 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2875533)   #47
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW...

Don't know if you've heard the news, but Donald Trump is out and AJ Foyt will drive the Pace Car on Race Day.

They should have picked him from the beginning, IMO.

Old 6 May 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2875543)   #48
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I liked the idea of Foyt, Unsr and Mears running three-wide that someone mentioned in Cavin's Q&A.
Old 7 May 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2875779)   #49
Yannick
Veteran

Concerning the driver lineup of this year's 500, I wonder why nobody was interested in letting Mario Moraes drive their car. He was doing OK in his debut year with Coyne and even scored a podium on an oval while with KV - and he was the least crash-prone driver KV had full-time last year (as opposed to Viso and Sato). Did he not have any sponsorship this time around? Is it lack of sponsorship or has he turned his back on IndyCars? To be honest, I'd trust Moraes more to make it into the field than Speed who is a rookie.
Old 7 May 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2876430)   #50
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But with the loss of the streaming on IndyCar.com, we also lost the chance to see the practice sessions for Indy?