Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Feb 2003, 22:24 (Ref:519766)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If one is asked to be "innovaitve" to design a DP, then perhaps...

The rules mandate that the radiators be in the front of the car. Most people have selected the typical middle. Why not put two smaller radiators just below the headlights? If you then made a low COG frontal area, instead of the ones that stick out like a broken nose right now, you could have an advantage.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 14:16 (Ref:520450)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very poossible, but I think they look at the corners of the car taking more damage than a radiator that is between the tires in the event of contact or a crash. We've all seen sportscar circulating with a front headlamp missing along with a portion of the fender.

I don't know, just a thought.
Never forget #99
Old 28 Feb 2003, 16:48 (Ref:520588)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah. Probably won't make much of a difference, I'm afraid... Riley & Scott have made a great LeMans prototype with the radiator stuck right in front.

The fastest way to get a Daytona Prototype around a race track? Tie it to the bumper of a GT-class Porsche.
Old 28 Feb 2003, 18:16 (Ref:520658)   #4
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem with the DP's is that they aren't cost cutting, they're technology cutting, and a huge step back in time.
Old 2 Mar 2003, 19:10 (Ref:522590)   #5
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So a step back intime *might* be necessary. Tube frames? Front mounted radiators? Interesting...

So drop back to about the mid to late 60's...lift the plans from..Oh...I dunno...a GT40? Or perhaps a 917, or even one of the Ferrari 512's?

Those all seem to me (with some *mild* modifications) to fit the bill. *chuckles*.

Time travel IS possible..and Grand-Am is proving it!! (insert maniacal laughter here)

It's a good laugh, folks...but I'm not totally kidding about the idea of an "updated" 917. Couldn't you imagine the look of one rounding Daytona? Again? (woohoo!!)

Later, all...
Old 2 Mar 2003, 19:23 (Ref:522598)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 917 probably doesn't offer the mandated headroom. Also, would we want to see one with a GT3 engine?
Old 3 Mar 2003, 14:28 (Ref:523493)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Basically they are rebodied Trans Am cars with a few carbon fiber panels. The premier class should not get smoked by the GTS class leader Corvette on the straight liek they regularly did.
Never forget #99
Old 3 Mar 2003, 16:08 (Ref:523559)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Trans Am cars have the engine in front, KC... I'm sure you knew that, though.

The 917 and GT40 were already more advanced than these crappy cars! Especially the magnesium-frame, twin-turbo V-12 917/30! It'd run circles around the best Daytona Prototypes!

I would have been fine with a bit of a step back in technology for the sake of competition. But why so ugly, why so slow?! They should be wide and low-slung, and packing big-block V8s like in the Cam-Am days! Imagine a closed-top prototype with an 8.0L pushrod engine rumbling around Daytona, or down the Mulsanne straight!

But no... They went with these miserable excuses for powerplants, and overgrown Sports2000 cars with roofs.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 3 Mar 2003 at 16:09.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 17:11 (Ref:523620)   #9
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, that was a *flat* 12 in the 917/30 which cranked out around 1100 bhp.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 17:35 (Ref:523634)   #10
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
I would have been fine with a bit of a step back in technology for the sake of competition. But why so ugly, why so slow?! They should be wide and low-slung, and packing big-block V8s like in the Cam-Am days! Imagine a closed-top prototype with an 8.0L pushrod engine rumbling around Daytona, or down the Mulsanne straight!

But no... They went with these miserable excuses for powerplants, and overgrown Sports2000 cars with roofs.
That's exactly my problem with the whole thing- I can see the logic behind what GA are trying to do in cutting costs- if it makes Prototype racing accessible to more teams, then I'm all for it.

What I don't get is how they managed to come up with what we've actually got- surely it wouldn't have taken much more thought about the regs to come up with something that makes it possible to build a car that looks good.....
Old 3 Mar 2003, 19:59 (Ref:523746)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by ZXKawboy
Actually, that was a *flat* 12 in the 917/30 which cranked out around 1100 bhp.
Sorry, my error.
Old 3 Mar 2003, 22:00 (Ref:523879)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks arre one thing, but perormance is where the action really is...

You can set up rules to control costs, yet still build cars that are fast and exciting to watch....

The 24 at Daytona was awful....

If Grand Am stays this course, they are going to crash on the rocks and sink...big time...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Mar 2003, 00:06 (Ref:524010)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The GT4's as these cars ought to be called, are so restrictive that you can't even use powerplants not sanctioned as being sh*te.

Plus GT40 isn't in production anymore, so that's a no-no.

It's a shame. It looks like a good thing, until you read there rules carefully, then you realise that they're no better than something we could throw together. You could almost do it. Get a scrap engine, some steel tube, a glass fibre kit, and then mould the bodywork on an elephant, and then attach Lee's tow hook and you're ready..
Old 4 Mar 2003, 00:08 (Ref:524012)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think we all know that we could better those rules very easily, and still be cost cutting...
Old 4 Mar 2003, 04:39 (Ref:524125)   #15
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no problem with a cost controlled formula, but not when a new $400,000 prototype can't beat a somewhat used $150,000 GTS or GT car....Plus teh fact the AMC Pacer size mandated cockpit just looks stupid...
Old 4 Mar 2003, 13:04 (Ref:524442)   #16
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im sure this must had been tried or though about,
i can't see the designer missing what looks like an ovious area to make improvements,
i don't know, maybe their just not thinking strait.