Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 25 May 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1309841)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some "Dark Horses" to Watch This Sunday...

One thing I've learned over the many years of attending and watching the action at Indy is that some surprises will surface and some people who have not been very visible really shine on Race Day...

Some "Dark Horses" to think about:

Any of the three Fernandez-related cars....

They have had a solid month of May....Adrian, Kosuke, and especially Scott Sharp....

I wouldn't necessarily call Sharp a Dark Horse, because he has been so strong all month long....but I can tell you that his month of May has virtually mirrored Arie Luyendyk's month of May when he got his first win in the early 1990s...right down to the starting spot on the grid....very fast every day, but not grabbing headlines.....

Adrian and Kosuke have been fast and smooth and seem to be really focused on Race set-ups by their times, etc....the Mo Nunn factor plus sharing data between both "teams" will make all three very strong contenders this Sunday

The "other" Rahal-Letterman drivers....especially Vitor Meira...another guy flying under the radar that seems to have a lot clicking just right for him...

and Kenny Brack showed us what he has...I think the R-L cars are the best prepared this month for the 500....and they will be in the hunt.

Danica has been great...but the last rookie to win this big show goes all the way back to 1966....Graham Hill...a tough place for a rookie to win...even good ones....

Buddy Lazier...I know...Chevy power....but he has also been solid all month long....and if you remember back to 2003, Hornish was down in power, but was solid on restarts and great at defending his postions...he climbed into the Top Five before his engine let go in the final laps.....Lazier is a master at restarts and knows how to drive through traffic and defend his postion....if they gear his car correctly for the restarts, Buddy will be up near the front on Sunday...

Bruno Junquiera....They missed this week due to the race in Monterrey, but the logged a ton of laps and acquired a ton of set-up data when they were here....he also has a good spot on the grid and led some of last year's race before the pit stops cycled him out of the lead....don't count him out....

Those are a few...I'll submit more as the day goes on....

I'm interested in seeing your thoughts....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 25 May 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1309851)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kenny Brack has a pretty lowley starting spot, but if he keeps his nose clean and RL give him a good strategy he'll be in the hunt no doubt.

I think the Panther boys...well maybe not Enge...but Tomas and Buddy are ones to look out for. This looks like Chevy's last Indy 500 for the forseeble future, so they'll want to go out on a high...plus, Panther really need a win, and so does Tomas. They seem to have more power this year, but the fuel miliage is still an issue...
Old 25 May 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1309882)   #3
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone with a Panoz-Honda combination - across all teams this combination has looked fast, particularly in the draft which has to point to a strong race day performance.

Can we look past Wheldon? Despite the lowly starting spot he has been fast during practice and just lost it somewhat when it really counted. Plus his team seem to have a real aptitude for putting him out of sync on strategy and getting him to the front for the last few laps.

Bourdais...going to stick my neck out here. Not been mind-blowingly quick, not an IRL regular, limited oval experience, first time at Indy but...clearly very special and despite his limited oval experience knows how to work the draft and use traffic.
Old 25 May 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1309893)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dario & Herta also would come to mind....AGR has run a lot of laps as a group of four together to get a feel for the turbulence, places where they can stick a pass, and get good Race Day set-ups....all four will be factors this Sunday...

But I agree with your Panoz comments, Jock25....

The past two years they have handled well in traffic at Indy and that chassis has sat in Victory Lane at the end of th day...

Old 25 May 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1309937)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AGR my favs for the driver/team package; Rahal's for a rumouredly spec engine...
Old 25 May 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1309951)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Danica has been great...but the last rookie to win this big show goes all the way back to 1966....Graham Hill...a tough place for a rookie to win...even good ones...
Technically Montoya in 2000?
Old 25 May 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1309968)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Technically Montoya in 2000?

Technically, yes...but he had raced in 500-milers on the big tracks in CART....Danica has been on 1.5s, but this is a different ballgame, and she has not gone 500 miles....

Neither had Graham Hill at that point...

Old 25 May 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1309992)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well are the megateam drivers any really a dark horse? AGR, LettermanRahal or Penske
the dark horse would be Adrian Fernandez, as he has shown well before but alwyas misses the deal, silent and deadly he is there in the end. Danica has a real chance, a racer in all regards, but a rookie. Kenny Brack has shown he has speed, but not in traffic yet, but a true racer any way.
Dark Horse for me is Fernandez
Old 25 May 2005, 16:00 (Ref:1309998)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
well are the megateam drivers any really a dark horse? AGR, LettermanRahal or Penske
the dark horse would be Adrian Fernandez, as he has shown well before but alwyas misses the deal, silent and deadly he is there in the end. Danica has a real chance, a racer in all regards, but a rookie. Kenny Brack has shown he has speed, but not in traffic yet, but a true racer any way.
Dark Horse for me is Fernandez
The only reason why I added Dario and Herta is that they have been flying under the radar this month, as has Meira...mentions here and there, but no items on their "Up Front" status....

and Meira has been under the radar simply because Danica has been in the spotlight som much...he has been solid all month long

Penske is Penske...they will always be there, and never a Dark Horse in my book...

Out of all that I listed, Adrian would be mine as well,

If it really got down to picking Only One Dark Horse, Adrian would be my pick....

Old 25 May 2005, 17:08 (Ref:1310054)   #10
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richie Hearn the true Dark Horse,this guy is driving with 100% heart.Probably gonna hear a lot of "Where did that guy come from" when he's running towards the front.Don't be surprised if he finishes high up and even challenges for the win.
Old 25 May 2005, 22:57 (Ref:1310288)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the Newman Haas guys will surprise a little - both have good oval history (particularly Bruno), they have a good package and a quality team.

Also, I wouldn't rule out Ganassi pulling out a strategy masterstroke come race-day. They'll need to, as they won't have the pace to match it with the Penskes or Hondas.
Old 25 May 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1310293)   #12
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Sharps dark horse image was pretty well intact coming into the month of May, but I think it has brightened considerably since his great qualifying run. I really don't consider him a dark horse anymore, and as a matter-of-fact, he should be considered a favorite with all of his expierience, and a good car and team.

My dark horse has to be Tomas Scheckter. This Chevy is going to be fast, as we saw all three Panther cars in the top 11. He's proven that he can flatout drive that car and ring the most out of it. I expect him to be in the hunt all day. Just keep it on the track, and out of the wall Tomas!

Danica Patrick
Old 25 May 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1310316)   #13
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If there are a low number of cautions i'd never rule out Bryan - he's got the brains and experiance.
Kenny - now that'd be a dream come true!
Maybe Seabass - he's got the guys and killer instinct to win this.

Danica - After seeing her on Letterman, i'm a fan. Go Danica!
Old 26 May 2005, 07:35 (Ref:1310442)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Buddy lazier , Skill , Luck , determination and overall bucket loads of experience and talent.

i have gone all out and picked him as the winner and Im sure he wont prove me wrong
Old 27 May 2005, 00:34 (Ref:1311192)   #15
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Dixon!!!!

Blatant patriotism!!

Old 27 May 2005, 01:09 (Ref:1311207)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
Scott Dixon!!!!

Blatant patriotism!!

Yup, thats patriotism talking there!

I have to add Kosuke Matsurra to the list of dark horse's. He has really been finding some speed this week, and has been running with the leaders at times. He also has a great team behind him, so he could be one to watch out for come Sunday.

Roger Yasakawa is another driver that is having a good week, and has found some speed. He had a great first race at Homestead, so maybe he can surprise us at Indy. I'd love to see him and D&R do well here....

Danica Patrick
Old 27 May 2005, 02:09 (Ref:1311216)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I would have to say that Adrian is my dark horse with Meira as sort of a "1B" if you get my drift.

Adrian is a good guy and more talented than he gets credit for. It would be cool to see him drink the milk.

Not that Brack can truly be a "dark horse" but it is not impossible for him to be taking that drink of milk either!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 May 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1311231)   #18
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
Scott Dixon!!!!

Blatant patriotism!!

Nothing wrong with that

GO RYAN!!!!
Old 27 May 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1311409)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Not that Brack can truly be a "dark horse" but it is not impossible for him to be taking that drink of milk either!
While he obviously has a good car underneath him as well as lots of experience at Indy, there's still the question about his stamina. Apparently he was quite tired after that first day of practicing, where he logged a lot of laps, so who knows how he will feel during the race and as such I'd definitely count him as a dark horse.

Then again, once in the race itself I wouldn't be the least surprised if he toughened it out and kept going on pure adrenaline and will power. Kenny is, after all, one tough customer

Of course, in a few days we'll know for sure how everything plays out.. Sunday can't come here soon enough.
Old 27 May 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1311861)   #20
Whitestar
Rookie

England
England
Whitestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica ! 229 on carb day. Just got to go with the flow.
Old 28 May 2005, 04:13 (Ref:1312142)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestar
Danica ! 229 on carb day. Just got to go with the flow.
She's definetly got the car, but does she have the moves and the stamina? We'll see. It should be interesting!

Danica Patrick
Old 28 May 2005, 04:45 (Ref:1312159)   #22
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She ran 225 on Carb day not 229 and Tony Kanaan was only a few tenths off.If she were like running 226's or somethime while everyone else was running 225's then I'd say she has an edge,but everything is still pretty tight.Dan seems to have gotten his car to his liking as well he was the fastest to get into the 225's and consistently ran 225's.
Old 28 May 2005, 08:30 (Ref:1312239)   #23
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
OK. A dark horse is someone no one expects to win, someone outside the hype and talk leading up to the race.
Sharp is such a person, Fernandez because he hasn't been talked of as a potntial winner in the 'chat'. Dixon Manning and Briscoe because on form they are all 'outsiders'.
The same with Seb and Bruno in the Centrix cars.
Anyone in a Rahal or Andretti car is not a 'Dark Horse'.
We expect them to be there all going well.
Old 29 May 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1314078)   #24
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
I think its safe to say that Buddy Lazier won the battle of the "dark horses"!

Well done Buddy!

Danica Patrick
Old 31 May 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1315434)   #25
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
absolutely , I just Love this guy