Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Jul 2012, 04:05 (Ref:3102228)   #201
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Inside of circuit packed and it's only Wednesday.
Interesting cars with some of Bugatti's looking newer than your average Veron.
See that the L M B. boys have completed the car C W and looks very,very good.
We are hidden at very end of Grid 1 paddock with Talbots
Old 5 Jul 2012, 04:13 (Ref:3102231)   #202
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Inside of circuit packed and it's only Wednesday.
Interesting cars with some of Bugatti's looking newer than your average Veron.
See that the L M B. boys have completed the car C W and looks very,very good.
We are hidden at very end of Grid 1 paddock with Talbots
We'll come see ya later
Old 6 Jul 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3102877)   #203
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Track wet at start of practise and then drying.
Weather looks very iffy.
Grid 4 times dominated by G T 40's
Elva 14th so not to bad.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3103017)   #204
spike66
Rookie

England
Bedfordshire
spike66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
live on motors tv until 22:35 , Al De Cadenet interviewing .
road cars on the track tho?
Old 7 Jul 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3103332)   #205
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike66 View Post
Presumably to fund the event, the promoter has slots booked where the rich & shameless can take their P&J out onto the circuit, in exchange for the passing of pieces of silver. At least it gives us marshals a break in a very busy schedule!
Old 7 Jul 2012, 21:59 (Ref:3103552)   #206
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Live podcasts..............
http://radiolemans.0157.org/aggregator/sources/29
Old 8 Jul 2012, 05:16 (Ref:3103623)   #207
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman24 View Post
............ from 2010!
Old 8 Jul 2012, 05:24 (Ref:3103626)   #208
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post
............ from 2010!
Probably same cars though........

How's the weather?
Old 8 Jul 2012, 09:08 (Ref:3103663)   #209
kartman24
Racer

kartman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Probably same cars though........

How's the weather?
Finally realised when the weather was mentioned (hot and dry) and they were having a discussion on favourite car of the weekend when the race wasn`t even half over.
The wife has been very apologetic and is saying she will make it up to me this evening.............
Old 8 Jul 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3103823)   #210
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike66 View Post
Watching it on TV and it was all interviews and no racing, almost as if MotorsTV hadn't got the rights to actually televise the races. Very odd. de cadenet trying to make it up as he went along, with a bit of commentary, and then back to the studio.

Anyone able to enlighten me?
Old 8 Jul 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3103832)   #211
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't offer an explanation I'm afraid but I agree with every word, it's being treated as a chat show rather than an outside broadcast event.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3103838)   #212
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
I will let Mr Ruston tell you all what happened here, Wanna say congratulations to him and all the crew for a well deserved second place podium (should have been first but ce la ve as we say in France) Anyway, its raining again and all the team are now here at "the Farm" with the exemption of guess who? Yep MR. RUSTON! Ha ha

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 8 Jul 2012 at 17:45.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3104077)   #213
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I made it in the end, despite not being able to stay the duration and the largely miserable weather had a fantastic first visit to LMC.

Got sorted out with tix/passes last minute by 10th-er 'GT6' (cheers Simon) and got to finally put faces to names of others here, including Mr. Ruston and his gang who was kind enough to take time out in the paddock to talk Talbots and invite me to stick my nose in around them. There's a helluva nice and funny bloke behind those acerbic posts! Congrats to JR and his team.

Even this short time has put LMC at the top of my "must do" list.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 09:43 (Ref:3104082)   #214
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoroughly enjoyable weekend if somewhat wet at times and camping is not my thing - much to my son's amusement - but I wanted to be able to get easy access 'at all hours' so it was worth it being camped at Hunaudieres, right on the inside of Tetre Rouge. So the ability to wander in and out was ideal - especially into the evening and early morning when the lighting was ideal for photography and it was mainly dry at those times but often wet at other times especially on Saturday.

Long periods of nothing happening in between some sessions other than the occasional blasts of the aforementioned BMW M's and Merc AMGs etc, which (for me at least) was at odds with the event and spoilt the occasion somewhat. But perhaps commercial necessity?

My word - the French paddock / assembly staff do like their whistles don't they! They got very exited and louder than the cars at times.

Managed to watch quite a few of the qualifying and race sessions including the pre-war race about 4am (I think) on Sunday morning. Watching them in the darkness with sunrise still to break (amazingly all alone) on the Hunaudieres banking was quite surreal.

Few thousand photos to sort through but will post some here when I get the chance. Sadly we had to leave earlier than planned on Sunday so no photos of the races after about 7.30am but plenty to be getting on with!

Last edited by gary396; 9 Jul 2012 at 09:51. Reason: Typo
Old 9 Jul 2012, 09:57 (Ref:3104096)   #215
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Well, assuming I read the results right, JR seems to have a team trophy unless Gareth drives for someone else these days?
And Roger Wills/Joe Twyman won Plateau 3 in the Lotus 15?

Or is this all far too simple, and we are waiting for the French to fix the handicap so they can fly a tricoleur?
Old 9 Jul 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3104146)   #216
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Watching it on TV and it was all interviews and no racing, almost as if MotorsTV hadn't got the rights to actually televise the races. Very odd. de cadenet trying to make it up as he went along, with a bit of commentary, and then back to the studio.

Anyone able to enlighten me?
I thought the same thing I am only pleased I recorded it and let others watch something else at least that way I could fast forward though the waffle. Come on Motors TV this is not what I paid my Sky subscription for you can do better than this, this was just largely boring.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 12:43 (Ref:3104171)   #217
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I thought the same thing I am only pleased I recorded it and let others watch something else at least that way I could fast forward though the waffle. Come on Motors TV this is not what I paid my Sky subscription for you can do better than this, this was just largely boring.
Just been reading comments on another website, and one viewer worked out that there were only two trackside cameras - one just after the startline and one at the esses, This could be the answer.

Why attempt to televise a race when it was logistically impossible to do so? A really poor effort - what a letdown for enthusiasts who couldn't get to Le Mans. I don't blame A de C, his hands were tied, although some of his car recognition surprised me - how about a 300SL as a 250SWB? and a D-Type as the E-Type prototype (presumably he meant E2A). Very odd.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3104195)   #218
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well, I don't mind a talk-show if it's advertised a talk-show - I found some of AdC's reminiscing interesting - but if you're advertising a race meeting and they throw you chit-chat and more chit-chat and then pictures of children in toys then that's not as advertised and it's legitimate to be aggrieved if you've set time aside to watch what you expect to be a meeting.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3104346)   #219
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Now returned after a successful marshalling trip to LM once again. Thanks to all those who waved, flashed lights, raced hard, and generally entertained us with your classic vehicles.

Glad to see Colin Elstrop's TVR made the grids after needing to do an engine change, after the first lap of qualifying and stopping at my poste, no small feat! And pleased to say we had no other visitors with cars for the rest of the weekend.

Definitely a meeting I'll be looking to do again in 2014. Just need to blag some way of seeing the cars in the paddock as well as out on the track on poste!
Old 9 Jul 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3104404)   #220
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Classic

Just got home and reflecting on weekend. So far this year I have reported some thirty historic races/rallies but I have to say, that in my mind Le Mans Classic rates as number one. The atmosphere, the social interaction, but above all, the racing. I spent most of Sunday between Indianapolis and Arnage, those Talbots and the Bentleys, BMW CSLs and Aston Martins were emotionally exhausting to watch. Superb. We have our first gallery up plus a few updates but we need to sit down a write a proper report, will start tomorrow!
Old 9 Jul 2012, 23:50 (Ref:3104415)   #221
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just walked through the door after getting back from CLM ! Awesome event I'd just like to say thanks to all the marshals especially the UK ones who make the trip ! We had a nice chat with a couple at Hotel De France on Thursday ! Had an eventful weekend after blowing a headgasket on Friday first practice and then having to change the engine after the first race on Saturday ! Got soaked in that shower around 1800 but we got it done.

Roll on 2014

Ian ( team jigsaw ADU 1B Spitfire )
Old 9 Jul 2012, 23:52 (Ref:3104416)   #222
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just got back from a fantastic time at Le Mans. We were on the inside of the second Mulsanne chicane. Apart from Friday, mostly did plateaux 1, 2 , 3 & 6.
Felt really sorry for 6 as they seemed to get all the bad weather.
Thanks to all you guys for entering, there were some amazing cars out there.
Will post photos and write more tomorrow. John R, loved the Elva, and it ran so well, great job.
TTFN
Old 10 Jul 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3104521)   #223
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Images Le Mans Classic

Three images but will try to post more later

Fabulous Quester/Petererson BMW CSL of Walker/Benjamin/Kovacevic.
Talbot Lago driven by Christian Traber through Arnage
Vincent Gaye has a very narrow escape in his Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ten tenths image samples.zip (121.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by retrognome; 10 Jul 2012 at 10:08.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:16 (Ref:3104531)   #224
retrognome
Racer

more images

Some rain swept images
Attached Thumbnails
LeMansClassic2012Part2 103-i.jpg   LeMansClassic2012Part2 124-i.jpg   LeMansClassic2012Part2 102-i.jpg  

LeMansClassic2012Part2 226-i.jpg  
Old 10 Jul 2012, 12:14 (Ref:3104592)   #225
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jean Todt or Sid James? I think we should be told...