Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 6 Apr 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1572494)   #1
peter195001
Racer

peter195001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group A TWR Jaguar XJS ETC cars

hi everyone biulding TWR 1/24 kit got confused on couple parts.did the full size vechile have some form of water pipeing to rear brakes. in kit peice for pipeing the appears to olnl go from underbody to rear brakes but seems "over scale size" for brake line

peter
Old 6 Apr 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1572518)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Probably Air ducting to cool the brakes not water, as far as I know the only race vehicles to experiment with water cooling is trucks and rear brakes don't get over hot anyhow compared to fronts, only a guess mind:-).
Old 7 Apr 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1572910)   #3
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did you mean 'two jags' lot's of hot air there.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1573328)   #4
peter195001
Racer

cheers guys for that given me something to go on.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1573408)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which year are you building? I have tonnes of pictures, but mainly 1982.

The later ones had some 'oil cooling' at the very rear which it is suggested acted as an aerodynamic aid. A scandalous suggestion!
Old 10 Apr 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1577988)   #6
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Which year are you building? I have tonnes of pictures, but mainly 1982.

The later ones had some 'oil cooling' at the very rear which it is suggested acted as an aerodynamic aid. A scandalous suggestion!

83 and the first two races of 84. BMW went ape about this arrangement.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1578319)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Was that the odd looking box thing beneath the rear bumper?
Old 11 Apr 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1578501)   #8
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To build it properly you'll have to chop it down the centreline and take an inch out of it before putting it back together again.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1578536)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are you saying Jaguar removed two feet then?
Old 11 Apr 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1578682)   #10
Splendid Cat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Was that the odd looking box thing beneath the rear bumper?
Yep, less pronounced in 84 though
Old 11 Apr 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1578766)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Funny you should say that, I heard it from a good source who has built a replica and went the musuem to see the TWR cars and measured it all up and reconned they were definitely smaller. Guy in question has been known to be a bit of a wind up merchant on occasions but I would like to know the truth in this.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1578815)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I must admit I don't know the details. The body shells were special IIRC, but they were just lighter and went down the production line as normal. However I am sketchy on what was actually done. There was a question over the cooler at the rear and also the wheel arches, but both were OK homologation wise.

However I am sketchy on the details as most of this concerns the later cars and I am a bit more up on the '82 cars at the moment.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1578838)   #13
peter195001
Racer

cheers guys(again) begining to think brke ducts as silimat tube behind front dumber but as not got shell painted nut sure where fit.

box gives datails about 83/84 ETTC so good bet it 83/84 car have got people looking out for full size racers and will "cwral" if need be
Old 11 Apr 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1579009)   #14
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Doh!!
Old 19 Apr 2006, 06:45 (Ref:1588343)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is an old chestnut and was related to the Rovers not the Jags. Actually it got disproved in (I think) Brno where one of the cars had an off and needed a new windscreen. They got a standard Rover one from a dealership and it fitted perfectly.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1588573)   #16
Splendid Cat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
This is an old chestnut and was related to the Rovers not the Jags. Actually it got disproved in (I think) Brno where one of the cars had an off and needed a new windscreen. They got a standard Rover one from a dealership and it fitted perfectly.

At Nurburgring ETC in 85 the Rovers had to take off their plastic boot lid spoilers and replace them with the black rubber ones from the road cars, after Volvo protested (ah, yes the 240 Turbo. Where did all the road cars go...)
Old 19 Apr 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1588595)   #17
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
At Nurburgring ETC in 85 the Rovers had to take off their plastic boot lid spoilers and replace them with the black rubber ones from the road cars, after Volvo protested (ah, yes the 240 Turbo. Where did all the road cars go...)

Indeed, my old man once enquired with a Volvo dealer in the UK about organising a test drive in a 240T and got the following response:

'A what?'
Old 10 Feb 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2392335)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I guess everyone interested in this thread/these cars has seen that excellent clip from the Fuji Inter-Tec race in 1986 on You Tube?

There's a link in the Rover thread but just in case!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FIbco7FMA

Old 29 Dec 2010, 13:42 (Ref:2809196)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Appears to be an original car on ebay, but why stick an even more massive engine in it????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAGUAR-GENUINE...item27b742952e
Old 29 Dec 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2809225)   #20
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I must admit I don't know the details. The body shells were special IIRC, but they were just lighter and went down the production line as normal. However I am sketchy on what was actually done. There was a question over the cooler at the rear and also the wheel arches, but both were OK homologation wise.

However I am sketchy on the details as most of this concerns the later cars and I am a bit more up on the '82 cars at the moment.
There was a track test and article in one of the classic car mags a few years ago which discussed this- IIRC, it certainly mentioned the use of lightweight panels (apparently some thinner gauge steel just happened to find its' way onto the production line on a Saturday afternoon....)

As I remember, it also said that the valances under the front bumper of the TWR cars, were apparently hand-made and not quite the same shape as the ones that came out of the Jaguar factory...

There might have been a mention of modifications to the rear inner wheelarches (homologated on the strength of changes allegedly made to production shells to suit road conditions in either African or South American export markets....), although I could be getting mixed up with the Rovers here.

Pretty sure that any suggestion of cars being smaller than they should have been was dismissed pretty strongly by the article though.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2809236)   #21
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The good news is that for your £125K you get not only the 6.8litre currently fitted but (and I quote)"PLUS fresh/unused Rob Beere built 5.3 engine which once fitted would render the car eligible for FIA htp papers."

No excuse not to just snap it up really.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2809240)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
..... However I am sketchy on what was actually done. There was a question over the cooler at the rear and also the wheel arches, but both were OK homologation wise.
VERY LATE RESPONSE!

I suspect you are thinking of the 83/84 cars. The 85 on cars did not have the rear oil cooler. They did have diff coolers but under the bodywork.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2814314)   #23
martin 64
Rookie

martin 64 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi. Is it the Hasegawa 1/24th kit? And are the ducts orange? if so they are definately air for the rear brakes, which were inboard by the diff and needed lots of it! The matching pipe at the front is also air ducting, but by 84 (the year of the model) the front brakes were also water cooled. The Large container in the models front passenger foot well is the resevoir for the water cooling. They used a lot of that as well!!! I'm a huge fan of the TWR XJS's. i followed them everywhere and have lots of info on them.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3343823)   #24
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slightly off-topic, but would anyone know the reasons why there were no privateer Group A XJS's in the BTCC and ETCC in the mid-1980's? Was it:

1. TWR did not want privateers to have access to parts, information and support?
2. If TWR did allow privateers access, the costs and complexity of the XJS made it not a feasible option for a privateer team to run?
Old 14 Dec 2013, 05:19 (Ref:3343900)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well the Group A Rovers were built by privateers so I don't think TWR had any need to restrict parts etc. I suspect the real reasons were; a) there was only a short homologation period for the cars; b) BL was reluctant to release too many chassis from a premium range; and, c) they were seriously expensive to build.

Tags
group a