Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Mar 2024, 14:55 (Ref:4201231)   #326
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantagenet View Post
Re. Sainz, it will likely depend if he had keyhole or an old-fashioned open procedure (which may need to be done if they caught if late and it had perforated). If he had an open procedure, that's where you have the issues of a longer period off as the risk of the wound not healing and herniating is higher. Think of the G forces in a F1 car, coupled with the force to stomp on the brake pedal and you have the worst possible circumstances for wound issues.

FWIW, I think be he'll there in Melborune
If it was open I doubt he would have shown up the following day
Old 14 Mar 2024, 20:53 (Ref:4201271)   #327
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, I think it’s pretty much confirmed Sainz will be back for Oz
Old 16 Mar 2024, 05:39 (Ref:4201397)   #328
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, I think it’s pretty much confirmed Sainz will be back for Oz
Mr Jordan seems to think on his podcast that Mr Sainz may be too unwell to participate in the Albert Park event..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Mar 2024, 09:38 (Ref:4201408)   #329
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Jordan seems to think on his podcast that Mr Sainz may be too unwell to participate in the Albert Park event..
Jordan says a lot of things, and most of it is BS. He’s the new JV.
Old 16 Mar 2024, 11:32 (Ref:4201413)   #330
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
He's the old EJ, surely?
Old 16 Mar 2024, 16:22 (Ref:4201441)   #331
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
Not sure which JV we are talking about.... there are two of them now, both skilled at BS. One a Canadian with a famous Father, the other Dutch, with a famous son.
Old 16 Mar 2024, 22:59 (Ref:4201555)   #332
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The woman who accused Christian Horner of inappropriate behavior is allegedly appealing the decision to dismiss her complaint against the Red Bull team boss.

Not sure, how this story is going to end?
Old 17 Mar 2024, 07:42 (Ref:4201636)   #333
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Not sure which JV we are talking about.... there are two of them now, both skilled at BS. One a Canadian with a famous Father, the other Dutch, with a famous son.
The Canadian one of course. The Dutch one is too busy conspiring with his sewing circle….
Old 20 Mar 2024, 09:43 (Ref:4201955)   #334
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
slight off topic

having watched some 70s F1 races recently and compared to today one thing strikes me about the grids themselves

in the 70s no grid was really the same !! , what I mean they were usually over 26 entries (on some meeting near 40 cars entered) so you can get variety on the backmarkers make the cut and some who don't

another aspect todays it's the dam same cars, same drivers and same liveries the whole season race after race !! it gets really tiresome and monotonous , back then you had quite a lot driver changes specially to midfield and and backmarkers, sponsor (livery) changes too , some teams had just 1 car, occasionally some of the bigger teams entered 3 cars, and you also had privateers using usually older cars

and then there are the car models themselves , it wasn't uncommon for teams to change models mid-sason , do some visible modifications or just engine supplier mid-season too

today everything seems to be "locked" how it starts is usually how it ends race by race all the way to the next season
Old 20 Mar 2024, 10:26 (Ref:4201960)   #335
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
slight off topic

having watched some 70s F1 races recently and compared to today one thing strikes me about the grids themselves

in the 70s no grid was really the same !! , what I mean they were usually over 26 entries (on some meeting near 40 cars entered) so you can get variety on the backmarkers make the cut and some who don't

another aspect todays it's the dam same cars, same drivers and same liveries the whole season race after race !! it gets really tiresome and monotonous , back then you had quite a lot driver changes specially to midfield and and backmarkers, sponsor (livery) changes too , some teams had just 1 car, occasionally some of the bigger teams entered 3 cars, and you also had privateers using usually older cars

and then there are the car models themselves , it wasn't uncommon for teams to change models mid-sason , do some visible modifications or just engine supplier mid-season too

today everything seems to be "locked" how it starts is usually how it ends race by race all the way to the next season
Nearly every professional category has moved to a franchise system where competitors have to compete in every race.This has the advantage for promoters,media companies and fans of knowing you are going to get the full grid.In return the teams don’t want their exposure diluted by entrants dropping in and out.Even where wild cards are permitted the rules around that are strictly controlled.
As for changes to the car during the season restrictions are mainly due to cost control(except livery).
I appreciate what you are saying but it is economically not feasible.Just changing times with at least as many pluses as minuses.
Old 20 Mar 2024, 15:35 (Ref:4201998)   #336
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
slight off topic

So all of that variability with drivers coming and going, teams switching chassis, power units, etc. Was that actually successful or was that just a bunch of enthusiastic and entertaining rabble at the tail end of the field just floundering about? I suspect the answer is that outside of an occasional nearly random success, they were just filling in the field. Why would anyone who was actually trying to win today do any of that? It would be suicide.

Plus as Alan52 calls out, the cost of doing that today would be astronomical. I really would love to see what it would have cost to run one of those 1970's teams in 2024 dollars. My assumption is the budgets would have been much smaller meaning it was probably easy for someone to scrape up enough funds to run a bit and have fun, but really have close to zero chance of winning. Or if the chance to win was higher, it was more down to the level of overall reliability back then being much worse. So that race results would have been more variable than today. A retirement of a car these days is a notable event!

Richard
Old 20 Mar 2024, 19:53 (Ref:4202047)   #337
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post

Plus as Alan52 calls out, the cost of doing that today would be astronomical. I really would love to see what it would have cost to run one of those 1970's teams in 2024 dollars. My assumption is the budgets would have been much smaller meaning it was probably easy for someone to scrape up enough funds to run a bit and have fun, but really have close to zero chance of winning. Or if the chance to win was higher, it was more down to the level of overall reliability back then being much worse. So that race results would have been more variable than today. A retirement of a car these days is a notable event!

Richard
eating the exact same food day after day after day can also make you sick of it

but say an example, when F1 visits an US circuit , say today it would be impossible for an US driver to have a gig in a race either for a local team to rent some cars or just for the driver buy a seat in an existing team for that event

Quote:
Why would anyone who was actually trying to win today do any of that? It would be suicide.
for same reason most teams enter today r even if Red Bull wins everything ?
Old 21 Mar 2024, 01:30 (Ref:4202070)   #338
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
eating the exact same food day after day after day can also make you sick of it

but say an example, when F1 visits an US circuit , say today it would be impossible for an US driver to have a gig in a race either for a local team to rent some cars or just for the driver buy a seat in an existing team for that event
Fair point. The current dominance, while interesting at one level, results in us here on the forum regularly rating races quite poorly. So from an entertainment and maybe in a "David vs. Goliath" perspective, F1 today is quite boring. As you say... you can get sick from too much of the same thing

Quote:
for same reason most teams enter today r even if Red Bull wins everything ?
Again, I get your point. People and teams compete even if they are hopeless unprepared or unskilled. And we do enjoy watching them try.

Richard
Old 21 Mar 2024, 01:43 (Ref:4202072)   #339
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
another aspect todays it's the dam same cars, same drivers and same liveries the whole season race after race !! it gets really tiresome and monotonous
I take the opposite view. I get really frustrated watching Indycars where the liveries are constantly changing, you never know who's driving what or whom you're watching. I get the reasons for that but I much prefer F1 where you don't have to relearn who's in which livery every week
Old 21 Mar 2024, 09:50 (Ref:4202088)   #340
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Good news - Mazepin has got his ban for potential Putin links overturned, so he is available for F1 again! In other news Mercedes have a seat free for next year.
Old 21 Mar 2024, 21:45 (Ref:4202163)   #341
porsche962fan
Veteran

also why exactly is it banned to enter more than 2 cars ??

here Monza 1976 you can see 3 Ferraris in one shot

Ronnie Peterson in the middle in his March, he won the race
Attached Thumbnails
untitled.jpg  
Old 22 Mar 2024, 09:54 (Ref:4202219)   #342
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
also why exactly is it banned to enter more than 2 cars ??

here Monza 1976 you can see 3 Ferraris in one shot

Ronnie Peterson in the middle in his March, he won the race
Because apart from super fans of the specific teams, no one wanted to see 3 Mercedes filling the podium during their dominant years and no one wants to see 3 Red Bulls filling the podium now.

Heck, the teams don't even want a new unproven competitor diluting their monopoly, so they are never going to want to let the already dominant force of the moment fill the podium race after race.

The weird and wonderful 3rd entries in the 70s and 80s are anomalies that were fine at the time but are certainly not needed any more.

F1 could use the sprint races to give young drivers a go and make them separate from the main championship, but that is perhaps a different idea for a different thread. .
Old 22 Mar 2024, 13:24 (Ref:4202259)   #343
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or the Belgian GP 1961, first 4 cars all Ferrari!
Old 22 Mar 2024, 13:40 (Ref:4202263)   #344
Richard C
Veteran

10 teams, 20 cars and they say they can't fit two more for Andretti (which is not true, but it is one of the arguments that is used). How will they fit an additional 10 cars into garage space? I think the requirements for circuits does ask for more than 20, but probably not as much as 30? Then can all teams afford to run three cars?

I think F1 would need to be significantly restructured in many ways to support three cars per team. I think the area to push would be to allow customer cars for smaller teams.

Richard
Old 22 Mar 2024, 16:01 (Ref:4202287)   #345
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I think F1 needs to be significantly restructured.

Richard
Fixed that for you.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 16:05 (Ref:4202288)   #346
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Fixed that for you.
I can agree with that!

Richard
Old 22 Mar 2024, 17:41 (Ref:4202304)   #347
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I can agree with that!

Richard
Amen.
The present conundrum is purely artificial and at odds with the history of the championship.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 21:31 (Ref:4202321)   #348
Vassago
Rookie

Vassago should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

F1 could use the sprint races to give young drivers a go and make them separate from the main championship, but that is perhaps a different idea for a different thread. .

That's not gonna happen ever since F3000/GP2/F2 was put on the support bill of Grand Prix so all the young talent is on site to be looked at anyway. 28 F2 races is more than enough to recognize talent and give the fans a show. Plus it's much cheaper to have those ladder teams pay the crash bill.

The whole sprint idea concept was a completely useless swing for the fences since Red Bull's dominance actually profits from the extra points boost of these races. And nobody will approve reverse grids in F1 because that's pure hogwash gimmick at this level. Manufacturers don't spend millions of dollars for their cars to be put on the last row by design.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 00:42 (Ref:4203230)   #349
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
So all of that variability with drivers coming and going, teams switching chassis, power units, etc. Was that actually successful or was that just a bunch of enthusiastic and entertaining rabble at the tail end of the field just floundering about? I suspect the answer is that outside of an occasional nearly random success, they were just filling in the field. Why would anyone who was actually trying to win today do any of that? It would be suicide.

Richard
In my mind there are a few ways around it

Have a 2 tier F1 franchise system.
Tier 1 "pro" is your traditional 2 car full entry guaranteed start in the race etc as now.

Tier 2 "privateer" Much cheaper entry fee but you have to prequalify and only the top few get to race sunday and you dont have to attend every race, maybe a set minimum. The prequal session is televised like normal P123 sessions. P1 and P2 is for all entrants, then prequalify is t2 only on saturday morning. P3 and main qual is for T1 and the successful pre-qualifiers only. So the T2 cars get 3 televised on track sessions (and drive to survive interest), and if they make the sunday grid they get prime time tv coverage, for a cheaper buy in.

Allow customer cars, in T2, so they can buy a chassis of mclaren or RB etc and engine from honda, ford or whoever is in the game, or maybe even a company like Lola purely building chassis or engines for multiple customers.
Could end up with a Red bull chassis with a Merc engine or the like! (which would be highly embarrassing if they beat the Donor team)

Customer cars, a couple of pay to drive drivers and cheaper license and you have more cars, variety and interest, and more opportunity for new talent to get a look.

You could have restrictions on T2, no team can be in T2 for more than 3 years, they have to step up or step out, or a relegation system like many football comps have.

Last edited by bathurst77; 29 Mar 2024 at 01:11.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 00:43 (Ref:4203231)   #350
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Another idea could be the current teams only but 3 car teams, with the 3rd car being a "juniors" car. totally different paint and sponsors to the main team, changing depending on whos in the car, with no single driver allowed to do more than 4 or 6 races a year in the car.

WCC points go only to your 2 best finishers each weekend.
(so if one of your main drivers has a shocker or DNF and your junior gets a top 10, the 3rd drivers points go towards WCC, but if all 3 cars re top 10 only the 2 best points count)

A youngster with budget to pay for a few races but not a whole year could buy a seat, plaster his stickers on the car, race a few selected events, then someone else next time. Or a team can give a "Lawson/Doohan" etc the car for a few races and a chance to show his stuff in the real world, without having to risk half of their whole years championship strategy.
Maybe only some races have facilities and pit enough for 3 car teams, so not every race has all 30.

For the teams they get cash from paid drivers, and a spare race-ready car at every track (Looking at YOU Mr V.) - Building 3 or 4 cars is not that much more expensive than 2 or 3. THe biggest cost is R&D testing, making the stamps etc.
They could even try new parts etc on car 3 and not risk the main game cars. More cars, more drivers, a way in for new faces etc, find the next Lewis/Max/Lando, lots of interest and lots for drive to survive to show.

Last edited by bathurst77; 29 Mar 2024 at 00:59.