Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 27 Jun 2001, 15:15 (Ref:110307)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Broadband

I dont know if im allowed to post this in here or not but I was wondering who has Broadband internet use ??

I have just had Chello installed and it is amazing..the speed is fantastic..downloading a file that took up to 5 minutes on a normal dial up now takes 10 to 30 seconds at a very impressive rate of 50 - 60 kb per second instead of the old 3 - 4 that i used to get.

and pages loading so much quicker ..within 5 seconds the page is completely loaded including pictures..it has really impressed me and well worth the little bit extra money I pay for it.

so who else has broadband and what do you think of it ?
are you getting good value out of it or is it not as good as you had hoped ???
Old 28 Jun 2001, 00:36 (Ref:110554)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'm looking into it at the moment - AlanJones has it and I would like to know more info.

How much? What area's etc. Do tell

Last edited by Wrex; 28 Jun 2001 at 00:36.
Old 29 Jun 2001, 00:39 (Ref:110994)   #3
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Broadband is a very important development in the internet world - the boffins at Sony decided that they wouldn't let the PS2's internet abilities come into use until broadband was readily available. Now it is and Sony have unveiled a funky screen/monitor for the PS2, along with a keyboard and modem, which will be released (apparently) early next year.
Old 29 Jun 2001, 00:39 (Ref:110995)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Continued... (d'uh)... the really exciting development of course is the new age on online gaming, which, although I am sceptical of it's costs to gamers, is going to be amazing once the cost of calls comes down - Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast is a stunning example of this. With broadband the games will run quicker and more people can play. Imagine 22 live players filling an F1 videogame grid...

Last edited by Minardi fan; 29 Jun 2001 at 00:41.
Old 29 Jun 2001, 02:28 (Ref:111019)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Wrex
broadband is avialable almost Australia wide..i did check out quite a few providers but found Chello to be the cheapest..some were up around $400 a month..I paid $50 for the instalation which meant a new card in my PC and an arial on the roof.
I am then paying $50 a month for the service but because i have Pay TV as well that is at a discounted rate..(as the service is provided by my Pay TV provider Austar)..Im not sure what the rate is for non Austar customers...so basically im paying around $100 for Pay TV and internet usage..which is not too bad when you consider that would cover my entertainment needs.

as i said im very happy with broadband and think it has huge potential it is so much better than a normal dial up.

Hey MF I know someone with a PS2 and im guessing that the roll out of their internet thingy is early next year for the UK..but do you have any idea about here in OZ ???
he keeps asking me but I have no idea.
Old 29 Jun 2001, 10:39 (Ref:111106)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Given you lot are down in Oz, and you seem to get everything last when it comes to videogames (I believe you have PAL rather than NTSC???) then you will get it sometime after we do - the UK is supposed to be hooked up in early 2002.

Sony has teamed up with AOL for the service provider, and they have apparently come up with a PS2-exclusive version of Netscrape.
Old 29 Jun 2001, 11:57 (Ref:111116)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Thanks for the info Marcus, will look into it for sure
Old 29 Jun 2001, 16:18 (Ref:111176)   #8
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah, broadband......it would be so nice to have one. Unfortunately over here you only have 2 choices. You can go with the cable company that can give you 300+kbps downstream and 1mbps upstream (if I'm not mistaken) and no more than 300MB dowloads per month for "just" U$60 per month (+16% tax) or you can take a T1 line which will cost you over U$200 per month. When I compare that price with the 15 bucks a month I have to pay to my ISP plus some 10 for the phone.......waiting 30+ minutes to download an MP3 and forgetting about online gaming does make a lot of sense
Old 1 Jul 2001, 21:06 (Ref:111883)   #9
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have broadband internet connection for almost 2 years now via @Home.
Marcus mentioned a speed of 50 -60 kbps, but that's actually not very impressive.
It could have something to do with the neighbourhood, the more people use broadband in your direct vicinity, the slower it is.
I'm lucky enough to live in a very quiet neighbourhood and I usually reach speeds up to 300 kpbs.
I pay 90 guilders per month which is about 40 dollars or 25 pounds.
It's worth every cent and I'm very happy with it.
Old 2 Jul 2001, 05:15 (Ref:111967)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
wow 300kb is very impressive Gerard ..no wonder you are happy with it..Im guessing that is from a satelitte connection where I only have a cable connection but i am still very happy with that.

300...I still cant believe that ..wow.
Old 2 Jul 2001, 21:48 (Ref:112272)   #11
yorkie
Rookie

yorkie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerard

I think Marcus is talking about download speeds in kilobytes per second (kBs) rather than kilobits per second (kbs). A 300-kilobit per second would provide approx 35 kilobytes per second download speed (as shown on the Internet exploder download dialog box).

I have recently installed broadband by way of a cable modem through Telewest. The installation was £75 and a monthly charge of £25 if you use some of their other services such as telephone (which is still cheaper than BT).

I am achieving download speeds of 512kbs (Guaranteed 256kbs) and upload speeds of up to 256kbs (Guaranteed 128kbs). The speed is depends on the traffic in your area and I think that I am the only one to have it at the moment