Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Sep 2012, 18:33 (Ref:3144242)   #2626
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Dagys just posted a tweet to expect a announcement of a new LMP2 team with a yet to be announced engine supplier. After some tweetering back and forth it's pretty clear the team is MarcVDS and it's probably a BMW engine. The older news source has already been given by Gwyllion but here it is again : http://sport.turbomagazine.be/news_N...rachtbron.html
Old 30 Sep 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3144244)   #2627
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
John Dagys just posted a tweet to expect a announcement of a new LMP2 team with a yet to be announced engine supplier. After some tweetering back and forth it's pretty clear the team is MarcVDS and it's probably a BMW engine. The older news source has already been given by Gwyllion but here it is again : http://sport.turbomagazine.be/news_N...rachtbron.html
To enter WEC next year?
Old 30 Sep 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3144245)   #2628
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
To enter WEC next year?
Probably yes.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 19:31 (Ref:3144260)   #2629
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really nice to have MarcVDS back in a more permanent capacity. Very solid team.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3144271)   #2630
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is a BMW, I'm assuming it will be based off of the S65 V8 in the M3 (3999cc) & M3 GTS/Z4 GT3 (4361cc).

Does this spell the end for the Judd, which is based on the same engine? (FYI by rule, it doesn't have to, in theory multiple engines can be based on the same one) And who builds it? BMW's M division? Do they farm it out to someone like Dinan who already builds Grand-Am BMW DP powerplants?

...Or could the Bavarians be throwing us a little curveball and be thinking diesel???

Plus I'd like to see somebody big time take a stab at the Ford motor that Libra ran at Laguna Seca, seems like a good combination, if not in a not-so-good chassis.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3144277)   #2631
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
If it is a BMW, I'm assuming it will be based off of the S65 V8 in the M3 (3999cc) & M3 GTS/Z4 GT3 (4361cc).

Does this spell the end for the Judd, which is based on the same engine? (FYI by rule, it doesn't have to, in theory multiple engines can be based on the same one) And who builds it? BMW's M division? Do they farm it out to someone like Dinan who already builds Grand-Am BMW DP powerplants?

...Or could the Bavarians be throwing us a little curveball and be thinking diesel???

Plus I'd like to see somebody big time take a stab at the Ford motor that Libra ran at Laguna Seca, seems like a good combination, if not in a not-so-good chassis.
Don't forget the costcapped nature of the engine. They are not allowed to cost more than 75000 for a whole season if I'm not mistaking. This would make entering a diesel or anything very new to expensive I'm afraid.
Expect the engine to be the same powerplant as the M3 GTE and the Z4 GT3 are running.
Dinan would be a unlikely engine builder because of their location. Wouldn't make any sense to use a DP engine builder when you got a load of GTE and GT3 engine developing talent in house now does it?
Old 30 Sep 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3144282)   #2632
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Don't forget the costcapped nature of the engine. They are not allowed to cost more than 75000 for a whole season if I'm not mistaking. This would make entering a diesel or anything very new to expensive I'm afraid.
Expect the engine to be the same powerplant as the M3 GTE and the Z4 GT3 are running.
Dinan would be a unlikely engine builder because of their location. Wouldn't make any sense to use a DP engine builder when you got a load of GTE and GT3 engine developing talent in house now does it?
WR tried to make a LMP2 Diesel, with very little success. How far they actually got, i don't know.

Last edited by CTD; 30 Sep 2012 at 20:29.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 20:16 (Ref:3144283)   #2633
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully Maxime Martin will be able to free himself from the DTM prison to race the P2 every once in a while.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 00:18 (Ref:3144363)   #2634
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This would make entering a diesel or anything very new to expensive I'm afraid.
I would normally think that, but that's precisely what Mazda - on a seemingly shorter budget than BMW would have - is doing with their 2.2L SkyActiv diesel.

If it is BMW, it's a welcome addition. I don't even care what the engine configuration is! The more, the better.

Last edited by Duff_44; 1 Oct 2012 at 00:19. Reason: Grammar police gonna git meh!
Old 1 Oct 2012, 03:23 (Ref:3144413)   #2635
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
Does this spell the end for the Judd, which is based on the same engine?
Judd hasn't exactly covered themselves in glory this year in racing for a variety reasons, I will be surprised if they have any customers next year except for an Uber-Gentleman effort or two. Sad to see. Just like AIM a couple of years ago.
As for Libra, after finally proclaiming he had found funding to run ALMS post Laguna Seca, and not showing up AGAIN, I am done getting my hopes up to see the Radical in P2 again. I wish Ian all the best but seriously...
Hopefully Dempsey is able to run the Mazda P2 diesel in North America beyond 2013.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 09:04 (Ref:3144500)   #2636
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only thing I hope for is that they don't run an Oreca. I'm guessing that they will run a Morgan LMP2. Morgan road cars use BMW engines.

Still, GTE makes much more sense for MarcVDS if BMW build an Z4 GTE.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3144501)   #2637
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Next year the Oak LMP2 chassis will no longer be called Morgans. This is a one year deal only
Old 1 Oct 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3144548)   #2638
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Leinders and Martin drove an OAK entered Morgan in the Le Mans 24H this year, finishing 7th in class. Would think that VDS had some behind-the-scenes-involvement leading to a possible WEC entry in 2013 on their own.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3144784)   #2639
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget 2011, where they helped Kronos with their Lola Aston Martin and brought it home in seventh overall with Vanina, Max, and Bas. I'm not sure how the team was structured with Kronos and Marc VDS, but it was in Marc VDS colours.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3145067)   #2640
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kronos is a MarcVDS subsidiary team.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3145089)   #2641
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Is that similar to the MarcVDS Moto2 team?

It'd be a shame to lose Maxime Martin to DTM but in another way he deserves such a ride given how good he is behind the wheel. If he does get a ride in DTM hopefully he can still fit in some sportscar stuff especially if MarcVDS continue down the BMW route.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 13:08 (Ref:3145203)   #2642
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dagys
A number of teams are continuing to push for the inclusion of drivers’ titles for the LMP2, GTE-Pro and GTE-Am categories. Currently, the series only awards a single Drivers’ World Championship, ranked according to the overall finishing positions in each race.
Oh, come on! We need less titles, not more!
Old 2 Oct 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3145229)   #2643
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I agree that less is more, but the way the Drivers' points are now awarded is totally nonsensical.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3145231)   #2644
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would have thought it was logical to reward the GT teams and their drivers.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3145241)   #2645
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
They could just use the ALMS points scoring system, adapted with the FIA points scale. But then that would make too much sense, wouldn't it?
Old 2 Oct 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3145338)   #2646
KlBD
Racer

KlBD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
Only thing I hope for is that they don't run an Oreca. I'm guessing that they will run a Morgan LMP2. Morgan road cars use BMW engines.

Still, GTE makes much more sense for MarcVDS if BMW build an Z4 GTE.
Dagys also specifies though that the chassis is also going to be new to WEC... that confuses me, since all 5 major P2 types (HPD, Oreca, Oak, Zytek, Lola) are already represented, and I can't see a team that likes to be as competitive as MVDS does taking on a Norma or something.

Anyone think this might be the new Lotus?
Old 2 Oct 2012, 19:26 (Ref:3145346)   #2647
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlBD View Post
Dagys also specifies though that the chassis is also going to be new to WEC... that confuses me, since all 5 major P2 types (HPD, Oreca, Oak, Zytek, Lola) are already represented, and I can't see a team that likes to be as competitive as MVDS does taking on a Norma or something.

Anyone think this might be the new Lotus?
We also got the Bailey
Old 2 Oct 2012, 19:33 (Ref:3145350)   #2648
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Where on earth did you get that from?

Kronos is actually a pretty famous rally team (WRC) and has done some stuff on circuit including the official Peugeots a while back and more recently running Ickx's LMP1 last year in Le Mans. Marc VDS provided two drivers, staff and equipment to run Le Mans, hence the VDS logos on the car.

I believe these two companies / teams have nothing else in common than that they are based in Belgium and did that one project together.
Old 2 Oct 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3145357)   #2649
KlBD
Racer

KlBD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
We also got the Bailey
Very true, but as the earlier speculation pointed out, their past exploits with LMPs makes me wonder why not choose an Oak-Pescarolo

Of course, I wouldn't mind them taking a role in brining a new car like the Bailey to the front of the LMP2 field either!
Old 2 Oct 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3145373)   #2650
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlBD View Post
Very true, but as the earlier speculation pointed out, their past exploits with LMPs makes me wonder why not choose an Oak-Pescarolo

Of course, I wouldn't mind them taking a role in brining a new car like the Bailey to the front of the LMP2 field either!
Well there is always the possibility of greater performance with a new still-in-development car, where your input is transferred directly into the car development so it matches your wishes. But also to get stuck with a car which can't get the same pace as the proven competitors.
If MarcVDS got the funding to race and develop the Bailey, then we got a potent-mix.

Remember with a "mass" produced car, your closest competitor got the same material, which makes mistakes so much more expensive under a 24hour race.