Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 5 Jul 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3749118)   #1
Alan Dove
Rookie

Alan Dove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Non-Leather Race Boots

This is a bit of a long-shot. I can't find any race boots that don't contain some form of leather. Does anyone know of any manufacturer doesn't use it in the construction of an FIA Homologated Boot?
Old 5 Jul 2017, 15:39 (Ref:3749124)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Welcome to the forum Alan and that's an interesting question to which I don't have an answer. You could try contacting midgetman on here if he doesn't show up soon with an answer, he runs a racewear sales company.
Old 5 Jul 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3749158)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here I am! That's an interesting question as every one I know of these days is suede or leather. I presume suede is no good either? Although I expect this is faux suede, I can't *guarantee* it isnt derived from animals:

https://www.racewear.co.uk/race-boot...wear-boots-fia

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 5 Jul 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3749172)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Just wondering if it would be worth calling AWS to see if they could make a pair.
Old 5 Jul 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3749177)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They import the similar sort of boots as I do. Without the all important FIA homologation they can't be worn in racing

Old 6 Jul 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3749282)   #6
Alan Dove
Rookie

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I spoke to AWS yesterday, very helpful, but they no longer make boots so that's a no-go. Also any bespoke boots would (probably) require re-homologation. I've contacted most of the manufacturers and all but one hasn't replied. The FIA have been completely silent too.

As it currently stands I will need to find a manufacturer to make a boot and then homologate. Not something I can really do right now. Will soldier on and find a solution
Old 6 Jul 2017, 18:19 (Ref:3749322)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

So can you give me some enlightenment, why you need a non leather boot? I can look into what our homologated boots are made of.

Old 7 Jul 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3749412)   #8
Alan Dove
Rookie

I'm vegan. Thanks for the help Max
Old 7 Jul 2017, 12:44 (Ref:3749432)   #9
midgetman
Veteran

Alan Dove of Karting 1?

I've had a look and I can't see that our boots are synthetic suede. Sorry.

Years ago we used to have FIA boots made of just Nomex but they didn't last long and they're the wrong homologation now. The cheapest way of passing the FIA test is to have a leather type material outer with Nomex inner bonded to it, so that's what everyone has made.

Sorry I can't be any help.

Last edited by midgetman; 7 Jul 2017 at 12:52.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 15:36 (Ref:3749452)   #10
Alan Dove
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Alan Dove of Karting 1?

I've had a look and I can't see that our boots are synthetic suede. Sorry.

Years ago we used to have FIA boots made of just Nomex but they didn't last long and they're the wrong homologation now. The cheapest way of passing the FIA test is to have a leather type material outer with Nomex inner bonded to it, so that's what everyone has made.

Sorry I can't be any help.

I am he

yeah, I am looking into whether I can get bespoke boots made. It would be good if like gloves material change occasionally doesn't require a re-homologation. I'll figure something out. Cheers for the help.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3749465)   #11
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It might be a long shot but you could try contacting the Federation of Motorsport Clubs of India, as they may already have had to manage the issue given the various faiths of their drivers will have restrictions on what materials they can use.
Old 7 Jul 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3749468)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

Gloves are easy because Nomex is synthetic and the grips are rubber.

Old 7 Jul 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3749470)   #13
Alan Dove
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Aras View Post
It might be a long shot but you could try contacting the Federation of Motorsport Clubs of India, as they may already have had to manage the issue given the various faiths of their drivers will have restrictions on what materials they can use.
Good call I will message, though their regs seem to be as per FIA on shoes.