Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Sep 2017, 20:42 (Ref:3765918)   #1
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Transport Germany/UK

Can anyone recommend reasonably priced transport from Germany to UK?

Looking to get a car from Berlin, Germany to Bicester on Sept. 21 for the Hero Challenge Clubman Rally.

Also interested in a return from Sept. 24 on but not as crucial as I could be adventurous and drive her home!

Thanks in advance!

Earl

...sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum if so then mods please move where suitable
Old 11 Sep 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3766018)   #2
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
In UK there's a website - Shiply.com - that offers quotes for delivery of anything but including cars - basically firms looking for return or synergistic loads compete for business. Don't know if they do international shipping, though.

Car transport in UK usually works out from about £1/mile, one-way.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3766067)   #3
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Thanks yes I have a posting on there but seems most are regional to UK and the ones that aren't want well over £1000 each way... pretty pricey I've done it for near half that in the not so distant past!

Also have had a problem there getting price deals for the round trip... they will only commit to price on the outbound but not the return trip.

Bit of a compromised position to give a shipper your money on half verbal agreement and find yourself 1200kms away from home so declined those offers.

Last edited by smokystove; 11 Sep 2017 at 14:48.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 17:01 (Ref:3766108)   #4
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
am now sorted thanks to all who PM'd suggestions!

cheers Earl
Old 11 Sep 2017, 19:19 (Ref:3766138)   #5
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an ex-insider I would recommend anyone using courier dating sites to treble check that adequate insurance cover is in place, don't just take their word for it
Old 11 Sep 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3766175)   #6
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Years ago when still living Stateside (where liability is a contact sport) had a shipper's winch on his flatbed break while about to unload into my yard...

snapped and dropped my car from part-tilted back so fell a good several feet plus smacked front end on the bed on the way down...

shipper's insurance just barely covered the paint on nose at crap bodyshop they had deal with...the rest including f****d suspension and bent crossmember had to pay out of pocket... no kidding.

Since then trust no carrier's insurance. Called and checked with my insurer and I am totally covered whilst in transit in any case.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3766265)   #7
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone once had a car picked up by one of these people who tender for jobs on Shiply. I was horrified how they treated the car, took no care whatsoever, even loading the spare wheel off their truck inside the car they were carrying.
Old 12 Sep 2017, 14:49 (Ref:3766292)   #8
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
Thing is Shiply and others don't (probably can't) vet their couriers so it is up to the user to exercise judgement.

There's everything from dodgy fly-by-night shippers driving their own personal vehicle probably uninsured, to international logistics companies to choose from.

These websites are only just a platform like Ebay.