Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 29 Aug 2007, 23:53 (Ref:1999706)   #26
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy
It's great to see him coming over to NASCAR. I think he'll struggle next year though. BDR was great 5 years or so ago, but they haven't been a top performer since then.
That is true but you have to look at why BDR faded. They were caught flirting with Toyota and lost factory support from Dodge. That was the main source of their sudden and great decline. This year they have improved markedly with Toyota factory backing. What is holding them back is the fact that the Toyota is simply not a good car at this point. None of the Toyota teams consistently run up front. Next year as the Toyota improves I think BDR will improve substantially as well. The team is better than its results indicate and it has been punching above its weight this year, occasionally running very well (i.e. California, Richmond).

Do I think BDR will be a championship team next year? No. I don't know if BDR will ever reach that level. At its height it was a top 10 team that could win 1-2 races a year. However, I expect BDR to be solid next year. I would target a top 20 finish in the points for JV, using JPM as a baseline. JPM will likely wind up in the top 15 this year. What I hope is that JV does well with BDR, perhaps even make the Chase in 2009 or 2010 (I believe JPM will be in it next year), win a few races and then gets a ride with a top-tier team.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 30 Aug 2007, 16:03 (Ref:2000159)   #27
T'internet Yogi
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hove
T'internet Yogi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to be tough for JV to qualify that 36 car. Mayfield struggled with it, and he's a Cup race winner. I agree with kingfloppy, its oging to be like allmendinger unless he flies in trucks
Old 30 Aug 2007, 19:07 (Ref:2000269)   #28
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
His driving approach coming together with the CTS...could be quite interesting.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 19:12 (Ref:2000272)   #29
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Given that he is not far off Skinner's pace hopefully that will translate into at least be able to qualify.

It would be very disappointing if he didn't qualify .... and discouraging for JV. He has seen too many lean years in F1 already.

Last edited by Kirk; 30 Aug 2007 at 19:19.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 19:43 (Ref:2000304)   #30
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
He needs to hope it works from the off, certainly.

He simply isn't good enough to drag a bad thing forwards.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 23:04 (Ref:2000485)   #31
Kirk
Veteran

Let me reword that, if I may:

He simply isn't experienced enough to drag a bad thing forwards ......

and that will change, and rather quickly I think
Old 30 Aug 2007, 23:12 (Ref:2000493)   #32
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
You may re-word all you want, but I am not going to change my wording.

I have nothing against the guy, and he is good enough to get the job done when the package is right, but he is not truly top-drawer. You need to be truly top-drawer to drag a bad thing forward.

That is my opinion and it is not going to change.

If he hits the ground running, then there won't be a problem (in the short-to-medium term, at least).
Old 31 Aug 2007, 00:22 (Ref:2000522)   #33
Kirk
Veteran

Well Labbe is a lot closer to the action than you and he disagrees wholeheartedly I'd say... and I quote:

"All day long, from the first run right off the track he was spitting it out," Labbe said. "Most drivers are just it's tight or it's loose. You have to beat it out of them, where is it tight, where is it loose. JV, he started on the entry, late entry, center, center-off, he broke down a corner. I guess it's from his Formula 1 days where all the engineers have the information in front of them. He did a super job. The input was tremendous, one of the best I've ever heard."

Pretty high praise, and this only day 1. JV is a quick study as testified by most anyone that has worked with him. I agree it won't happen overnight but maybe it will happen sooner than later ( based on the above assessment)

Last edited by Kirk; 31 Aug 2007 at 00:29.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 02:13 (Ref:2000553)   #34
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I didn't say he wasn't good at what he did. You do not achieve what he has without being able to do the job with what you have got.

I am not questioning that.

I think this discussion should just end now; I suspect we are getting at different things.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 15:47 (Ref:2000929)   #35
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This really is becoming a copy of the F1 forum, circa 2003 isn't it?
Old 31 Aug 2007, 16:38 (Ref:2000953)   #36
Kirk
Veteran

Yes it is knowlesy. NASCAR media coverage should prove to be more factual than we get in the rumour-laden F1 world. IF a driver is doing a good job we will likely know about it. There'll still be politics however.

As for JV's first few days on the job: I think he will be more motivated than ever with the support his new team is giving him. It's refreshing.

btw ... if you or anyone else is interested, apparently TSN.ca has some video coverage of his testing to date.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 22:03 (Ref:2001095)   #37
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by T'internet Yogi
Going to be tough for JV to qualify that 36 car. Mayfield struggled with it, and he's a Cup race winner. I agree with kingfloppy, its oging to be like allmendinger unless he flies in trucks
Mayfield used to be a solid driver but he has been horrible over the past two seasons. Dave Blaney shows that team has a lot more potential than Mayfield would lead one to believe it has. The key for JV next year will be to make the first four races and hence make it into the top 35 in points. If he can do that he will be in good shape. I expect that Toyota will be competitive next season--especially since Gibbs is joining the Toyota camp.

Old 1 Sep 2007, 00:34 (Ref:2001138)   #38
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just found a fantastic quote from Grand Prix' 1998 Formula One season review

Quote:
Williams had its worst season since 1988 and failed to win a race. Jacques Villeneuve nonetheless drove his socks off on most occasions and did an impressive job. His switch to the new British American Racing is a triumph of friendships over logic but there are no laws against committing career suicide and whatever happens Jacques bank manager is not going to be complaining...
Old 1 Sep 2007, 01:00 (Ref:2001142)   #39
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
btw ... if you or anyone else is interested, apparently TSN.ca has some video coverage of his testing to date.
Hey, No. 27.....ala CART? http://broadband.tsn.ca/?vid=12595

Thanks for that Kirk.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 01:02 (Ref:2001143)   #40
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be AWOL for a couple weeks.

No more O.W. drivers allowed in Nascar until I return.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 21:16 (Ref:2005668)   #41
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62089
Old 7 Sep 2007, 01:24 (Ref:2005757)   #42
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Hey, No. 27.....ala CART? http://broadband.tsn.ca/?vid=12595

Thanks for that Kirk.
Technically, it's 27 ala the guy in your avatar. Which to me is much cooler.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 17:36 (Ref:2009511)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, Jacques has completed his first runs at Talladega and ran good in the draft and everything.

Talladega is pretty straightforward in a testing situation, but it's still nice to run well all the same.
Old 11 Sep 2007, 22:06 (Ref:2009774)   #44
Kirk
Veteran

So far so good. He's ahead of my expectations, and I think that of BDR as well.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 16:57 (Ref:2010311)   #45
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
He did well, made friends, including luminaries such as Dale Jr. and Jimmie Johnson. According to Pitpass Jr. was "positive" about Villeneuve's performance as they ran together in a 2 car pack for a while. At one point JV and JJ hooked up and moved through the pack! This is a good sign. As to speed, he was the fastest Toyota, although mid-pack overall, but laptimes during Talladega tests mean little. The key is whether the car drafts well.

JV's crew chief: ""He's done very well in the Car of Tomorrow and performed well in all the draft sessions. He's really made some solid runs in this test and has been very impressive. I couldn't be any happier with what's going on right now."

Old 13 Sep 2007, 06:10 (Ref:2010786)   #46
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
JV third fastest in a drafting session! Of course, as I said earlier, speeds mean little at Talladega but it is good to see "Jacques Villeneuve" near the top of the leaderboard.

Quote:
During Monday afternoon's drafting session, Dale Earnhardt Inc. driver Paul Menard found himself at the front of the pack with a speed of 196.165 mph.

Tuesday morning's drafting session had Menard at the front again in his No. 15 Chevrolet with a speed of 191.685, but, surprisingly, third-quickest was Villeneuve at 191.130 mph.

"The test has been going great and it has been a lot of fun to get out there with so many talented drivers. To be running in the middle of the pack with them is great and the fact that they trust me enough to stay behind me is good,'' said Villeneuve, who will drive a Bill Davis Racing truck at Las Vegas on Sept. 22. "The first day we were in the pack with several other cars and someone started to slow down up front, it got a little messy there for a moment, but nothing bad happened. I have just been trying to learn the draft and learn what the other cars are doing -- overall it has been a lot of fun."
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7008495799

Old 21 Sep 2007, 10:31 (Ref:2019598)   #47
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey, is Jacques not running in the truck series this weekend, and presumably it'll be televised? Anybody know the particulars? Thanking you in advance...yada, yada, yada.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 14:56 (Ref:2019743)   #48
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Hey, is Jacques not running in the truck series this weekend, and presumably it'll be televised? Anybody know the particulars? Thanking you in advance...yada, yada, yada.
The lineup shows JV starting in 27th position in tomorrows truck race.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 15:15 (Ref:2019759)   #49
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Convenient!
Old 21 Sep 2007, 15:43 (Ref:2019789)   #50
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
The lineup shows JV starting in 27th position in tomorrows truck race.
http://www.nascar.com/races/truck/20...ntry_list.html

Thats not the starting position - thats the entry list!
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna