Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Aug 2008, 07:36 (Ref:2274847)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 7 - AMOC 50's Sports Cars Team Challenge

Sorry, managed to miss this one out due to my inability to count beyond one hand. This race rarely attracts a sufficient number of entries per team to make it too much of a team race, but the idea is sound. I will simply concentrate on individual positions.

The race was won inevitably by Adrian Beecroft in his DBR1/300 by a canter. In fact the field of 21 cars (18 finishers) became quite spread out with just a few dices down the field. Here, Mark Midgeley (21 - DB3) leads David Allen's DB2. Allen was to finish 6th overall but Midgeley dropped back to finish 9th:-

Glenn Tollett's Jaguar XK120 was 8th:-

John Arnold's AC Ace, 10th:-

The HW Alta Jaguar of Christopher Lunn was 7th:-

Bryn Griffiths was 12th in his Sunbeam Alpine. In the background a blurred Jaguar XK140 of Paul Chase Gardener (14th) and entering Brooklands is 2nd place man, Mark Baldwin in his DB MkIII:-

Baldwin again, about to lap Graham Barker's DB2/4 Mk1 which finished 17th. Baldwin was 27 seconds behind Beecroft at the flag with the Healey Sprite of Xavier Sanz De Acedo 3rd, a further 9 seconds behind:-
Old 30 Aug 2008, 06:42 (Ref:2277885)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 9 - Pre-War Sportscar Race

A slightly odd title for this race since it was an all Aston affair. A new race for this year, I'm guessing that it was to allow the St John Horsfall cars some extra track time. Lasting 15 minutes, 15 cars took the start and 13 finished after 11 laps. Although the cars tended to get spread out, the race for the lead was close for the early laps with Richard Lake's Speed model making the early running, and seen here doing so. In fact the four cars in view took the first 4 places but not in the order shown here. It was Peter Dubski lying 2nd here in his Mk II (a bit of a 'special') who won, having found an extra second a lap in pace over his Horsfall times, with Andy Bell (the Horsfall winner - seen here in 3rd) taking 2nd place. Lake was to drop to 4th, whilst Jane Varley at the back of this group, again took 3rd place in her Speed model:-

And here is Varley:-

Keith Piper has time to look across at (? me?, there were only 2 of us at this location!) on his way to 8th in his International:-

10th place, Gordon Riseley in his Le Mans model:-

The reason for Lake dropping back to 4th wasn't clear and I don't think looking down at the gauges was any indication of a problem since I noted several of the drivers doing this, presumably using the straight to check temperature and pressures!:-

Tudor Roberts was 11th in MkII Short Chassis:-

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Sep 2008 at 06:05.
Old 13 Sep 2008, 06:36 (Ref:2288665)   #28
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 10 - Super GT

About time that I finished this one. Last race of this meeting was for this series which is still sadly trying to get off the ground and we can but hope that it really gets off the ground next year. At the moment pretty much anything goes. There was an excellent race for the lead between the two Porsches of Paul Lindsay (18 - 993 GT2) and Mike Johnson (GT3R), and the Aston GT700R of David Ellis. Ellis and Lindsay swapped the lead several times with Johnson holding a watching brief. Eventually, however, Ellis retired the dramatic looking Aston and Livesey was able to ease away from Johnson to win by 6.5 seconds:-

Peter Penfold was 10th in his 993 RSR:-

Susan Surtees was last of the classified finishers in her E30 BMW 325i Sport:-

According to the Programme, the results sheet and the AMOC site, this is Stephen Archer in his Porsche 964RS. It clearly isn't. A 944, with the name Donnelly (Martin?) on the side, it finished 11th. Can anyone enlighten me?:-