Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Aug 2008, 15:20 (Ref:2263275)   #1
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic 2009 - if you could change one thing

If I could change one thing next year - it would be the Welcome Centre. Have staff who can put names in alphabetical order. Toilets that are unlocked. Staff to point you in the right direction.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 15:40 (Ref:2263287)   #2
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we must have Goodwood style paddocks (no problem with that) then we need infield parking for motorhomes and access to trailers.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2263291)   #3
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"If I could change one thing next year" - Give the organisation to the Oldtimer Grand Prix organisers from Nurburgring (to include the hospitality tent for drivers and mechanics!).
Old 4 Aug 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2263301)   #4
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Ensure ALL the grandstands are open on all three days.

Old 4 Aug 2008, 16:25 (Ref:2263320)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a week long event,Oh,and run by Masters.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2263324)   #6
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
What, so you can drive the safety car?
Old 4 Aug 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2263342)   #7
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Couldn't afford their entrance fees!
Old 4 Aug 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2263355)   #8
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
Couldn't afford their entrance fees!
....but you get your own Clerk of the Course as a free gift!
Old 4 Aug 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2263360)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
What, so you can drive the safety car?

Ah, Had'nt thought of that.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2263367)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The only way it can be put together is get all the Major organisers together and they organise their normal races.Funniest idea so far is Masters to run all the races.Certain races would be better split into 2x 35 mins.Less of the Post 66 F1 races although keep them in.A way must be found to keep cars in paddock on Sunday .Keep the back of Pit area as it was this time.You could run a 5 hr race as Spa on Saturday night.Cant see where the 90's Touring cars are comming from.All GC cars to be housed on the road back from Copse on there own.I'll think about it!
Old 4 Aug 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2263370)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry everyone but i was very happy with it all in 2008.If the Delta team get the same treatment next year i will be very happy. We did have a small prob when the van was towed away but that was soon sorted .O yes one small thing they can invite and have a race for the Historic FF2000.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 18:31 (Ref:2263390)   #12
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Five Hours of Silverstone"- now that's a good idea.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2263404)   #13
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have marshal sign on in the paddock bar
Allow some marshals car parking on the inside
Old 4 Aug 2008, 20:09 (Ref:2263454)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
The only way it can be put together is get all the Major organisers together and they organise their normal races.Funniest idea so far is Masters to run all the races.Certain races would be better split into 2x 35 mins.Less of the Post 66 F1 races although keep them in.A way must be found to keep cars in paddock on Sunday .Keep the back of Pit area as it was this time.You could run a 5 hr race as Spa on Saturday night.Cant see where the 90's Touring cars are comming from.All GC cars to be housed on the road back from Copse on there own.I'll think about it!

Was'nt supposed to raise a laugh John,I meant it.
Some of the other ideas are OK though,I do think that 90s BTCC would go down well especially if the original drivers were in there.The only way to keep the cars in the paddock is to give the owners a reason to stay, plus of course,some will have a long journey in front of them before work in the morning.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2263516)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reduce the ticket prices

I know I harped on about it, but put simply it cost them over a ton on the day as we would ahve come along and spent money on prgos, food etc. But would simply not pay those prices on the day.

In future clearly will check advance, but as a last minute thing, never again.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 06:57 (Ref:2263557)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why have we started to have a go at the organisers? Is that really the one thing you would change? According to the programme, Motion Works UK Ltd were both the event organisers and promotors. In respect of the latter aspect, they did a great job and the substantial increase in punters would seem to bear that out. With input I'm sure from the HSCC and Masters regarding race content, I'm not sure what the issue is. Much better to influence the existing set up than change it. Our views/feedback and those of others were noted last year and some changes were made. Similarly, I KNOW what we have said on the main thread this year has been viewed and noted. We may not get everything we want but then we are but one sector of the target audience!

If I could change one thing, it would be dispense with the Porsche races.

I rather like JR's idea of a longer race although 5 hours might be a bit steep. A 4 hour race from 7.00pm would be good, but we'd need to make sure that the marshals had plenty of breaks. However, I wonder whether the Snetterton 3 hour meeting might not be a better event to develop into a full blown 'enduro' weekend.

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Aug 2008 at 09:58.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 07:23 (Ref:2263568)   #17
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
I started the thread so that people who had something constructive to say could put it in one place. I think Motion Works , given only six months to plan, have got off to a better than expected start. So, lets post the issues that have caused a problem for us or someone we know and just maybe it will be taken on-board and at least considered by the organisers.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 07:33 (Ref:2263574)   #18
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hold it at a more spectator friendly venue.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 08:03 (Ref:2263595)   #19
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Silverstone Event organised by Motion Works put The Silverstone Festival back into No1 position as far as UK Historic Motor Racing is concerned
so no change needed there.

To promote a Festival you need all forms of Racing from 20's thru to 90's

To do this you need all the various organisations,HSCC,Ragbags FJ,Duncans Legends and Masters etc so the idea that Ron and his crew take overall charge is nonsense as he has many opportunities during the season to run Masters Monopoly Days and Weekends

The length of races should be thought through with longer and shorter races being considered,depending on type of car

Sunday Paddock needs to be kept full if you are serious in considering spectators

Costs should be compared with other major sports events and will seen to be reasonable

Several of the problems spelt out by competitors seem to be trivial and shows that some of the people involved are experts in navel gazing

Certainly the Festival this year was superior to the previous two Oldtimers

Who pays for these old Drivers to come out and race the 90's Saloons and where do the cars come from?

Idea

5X Single Seater Races(inc Masters)

1x Group C

1x Pre 50 Sports Car(2X 35 min Heats)

1x Pre 60 Sports Car(2X 35 min Heats)

1x Pre 72 Sports Car

3x Masters Races for Sports cars inc Gents Drivers

Pre 68 4 hr Race organised by Graham White's Gang

No one Marque Races

All in all it was a superb weekend and needs to be massaged in certain areas

The crap that the marshals have to put up with needs to be addressed under another Heading as there is obviously a shortage of marshals for all events and there must be an underlying reason

Paddock needs further cleaning out and the Punters given an idea where they can find various cars they are hunting for.I had no idea where certain cars were.

Make it Four Days and forget about Test days and race on Friday as two years ago

Change commentators
Old 5 Aug 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2263739)   #20
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as marshalling is concerned , shorten the races and have a 6pm curfew.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2263756)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

How could races be held on Fri/Sat nights and be marshalled without problems?This would make a better package to sell to the spectators
Old 5 Aug 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2263767)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
First you would need more Marshals,then operate a split shift system,that would then give them time to have a wonder around if they wanted.That in itself leads another problem of where do you get extra Marshals from!
Old 5 Aug 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2263784)   #23
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Drivers whose cars are in the pavillions have nowhere to change nor safely leave their clothes and valuables whilst racing. FJ was quite a long way from the loos and some drivers get the "urge" more than once in the run-up to assembly time. Especially difficult with a mixed sex field. One pavillion could have been set aside with lockers and nearby, a portaloo.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 13:34 (Ref:2263792)   #24
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

We do not have lockers at LMC or even Goodwood so why problem at Silverstone.
There is a loo in each Pit plus the main ones in middle of pit area.

Lots more needed as average age of drivers increases.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2263794)   #25
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
We do not have lockers at LMC or even Goodwood so why problem at Silverstone.
There is a loo in each Pit plus the main ones in middle of pit area.

Lots more needed as average age of drivers increases.
Just what I observed and was told, just because it isn't available at other meetings is not to say it can't be on a wish list for improvements.

The eldest in the FJ field was 79, not sure if he had a problem but certainly some younger ones did.