Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Aug 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2264970)   #51
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
See Birmingham, and Superprix...
Old 7 Aug 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2264974)   #52
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What? You really expect our great British Government to be so rash! IF only!
Old 7 Aug 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2265229)   #53
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, we've gone from if you could change one thing for the 2009 Silverstone Classics, to how many things can we change about it and now we want a change of venue. Apart from the fact that I don't agree with such a change, it wouldn't be the SILVERSTONE Classic, then, would it, as per the thread title. Me? Stroppy? Never!
Old 7 Aug 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2265255)   #54
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK Mr Stroppy,point taken,personally, I do not for one minuit think it should be removed from one of the best UK circuits. BUT I do think that the Porsches have no place there,open paddock?absolutely but a small allowance has to be made for the teams using the pit garages.Split races?maybe,they do it on Nurburgring so why not Silverstone.
As for spectating,I dont see a problem because there are so many good viewing areas around the circuit,admittedly some are a bit of a distance away from the action but thats the rules these days.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2265373)   #55
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Confirm price to an organiser for running a race at Spa 6 hr meeting was 10000 per hour which with circuit and infrastructure makes sense.If someone knows it is less than that suggest you tell Barry and then he can adjust the race entry cost!
Old 7 Aug 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2265391)   #56
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I'd allow replicas and fakes to enter.
I'll get me coat.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2265398)   #57
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Euroboss would be good.......
Old 7 Aug 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2265405)   #58
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
As for spectating,I dont see a problem because there are so many good viewing areas around the circuit,admittedly some are a bit of a distance away from the action but thats the rules these days.
I have to take issue with that opinion. Hangar Straight still quite epic, Bridge okay, but nothing else, zero atmosphere, drama, etc. Actually I think the International circuit has better viewing than the GP.
Old 8 Aug 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2265744)   #59
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was nice to be invited to the BDRC for drinks during the dusk race on Saturday as I have never seen inside the hallowed ground! Unfortunately this clashed with eScala at the Scarf & Goggles which I also would have liked to see - even if no photos were allowed. There was not a specific time for their start - so come on lets have a sensible look at the extra curricula activities and time them accordingly.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2270604)   #60
FA73
Racer

FA73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a pre 82 FF1600 race (i.e covering both the BARC Classic series and HSCC series cars). I am sure there would be a capacity grid and I can imagine some major slipstreaming down the Hanger straight with the cars fanning out for some demon outbraking manouvres into Stowe...
Old 18 Aug 2008, 16:05 (Ref:2271029)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be great to have a pre 1983 Group 1 race. You'd get Camaro's, Rovers, Mini Clubman, Capris (of course), Dolomites and RS 2000, not to mention the possibility of RX7, Avengers, Vivas and all the other marques.

I'm certain the CTCRC could produce a quality grid.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2271031)   #62
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Jeff Carter of Motion Works has already said he will listen to suggestions - don't just post here contact him direct.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 16:31 (Ref:2271042)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He also said they had bookmarked this thread.

edit: I know its now cast in stone, but I would have thought a more apt tribute to David Leslie would have been a classic F3 race with cars up to 1983. With Gp1 added in you have a tribute to Richard Lloyd too, especially if his Camaro can be put on track.

A small grid of ST cars will no doubt please some but not many.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 18 Aug 2008 at 16:48.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 09:15 (Ref:2271412)   #64
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
He also said they had bookmarked this thread.

edit: I know its now cast in stone, but I would have thought a more apt tribute to David Leslie would have been a classic F3 race with cars up to 1983. With Gp1 added in you have a tribute to Richard Lloyd too, especially if his Camaro can be put on track.

A small grid of ST cars will no doubt please some but not many.
Certainly reading the touring car forum on here and a couple of other forums, the idea seems to pleasing some people a lot - I suspect it may be a different audience to the traditional 'core' audience for an event like Silverstone Classic.

I'll admit that if they can pull this one off properly- (a decent-sized grid, some 'original' drivers out there and a reasonable proportion of cars in original liveries- basically something similar in feel to a touring car version of the historic Group C races), I'm quite looking forward to it- but I'd much rather have seen that big pre-83 Group 1 field you mentioned, or an 80's Group A race (where have all those original Group A cars gone?)

It looks like they might be able to get a decent-sized entry- apparently there's a lot of interest already including potential European entries:
http://www.supertouringregister.com/Silverstone09.php

I still can't shake off the feeling though that it's all a bit soon to be doing 'Historic ST' given the number of these cars still active at club level- it could just end up looking like an overgrown modern club saloon race...
Old 19 Aug 2008, 09:32 (Ref:2271427)   #65
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I can see your point KA,but what if only cars that looked as they did in period were accepted.If there are enough of them left,that could be quite something.I can see the posters now, Brute 33, Belga -------------
Old 19 Aug 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2271428)   #66
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Certainly reading the touring car forum on here and a couple of other forums, the idea seems to pleasing some people a lot - I suspect it may be a different audience to the traditional 'core' audience for an event like Silverstone Classic.
Agreed. But not a lot of people.

The ST era turned many away from touring cars, a trend which continues. It is now more for casual punters rather than hard core motorsport fans. Thus IMO if you want to expand the Classic, it would be better to keep it to the pre manufacturer periods for touring cars, where there was a greater mix of cars and marques.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2271449)   #67
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
I still can't shake off the feeling though that it's all a bit soon to be doing 'Historic ST' given the number of these cars still active at club level- it could just end up looking like an overgrown modern club saloon race...
Yes, I'd have to agree with this. It is too soon, particularly since we have not yet catered for a couple of earlier periods of saloon car racing at the Classic. I think the Group C cars are about as recent as we should have for this event for say, another 5 years.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2271562)   #68
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've only recently seen the results, my only comment would be either 2 periods of tin tops or at the very least a period correct grid of them
Old 19 Aug 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2271610)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well as many of you can probably predict i'm with Peter and KA on this particular point!

No way on earth should ST's be premitted at such an event, they're far too modern!!!!!!

And as JT just said, the meeting hasn't yet catered for 2 very significant earlier periods of saloon racing; Group 1 and Group A.

I still think there's eventually going to be some pretty close to the mark Capris and Rovers coming out to play in Classic Grp 1 but wouldn't it be absolutely fabulous to see some actual original cars running at an event like this?

How about an Equipe Esso Capri, Patrick Motors' Rover and Mini in a Group 1 race (we know they exist!!!) or a Bastos Rover, Schnitzer or JPS 635 (Mr Towe???), GTV6 and Hodgetts Corolla in a properly 'invited' Group A event? Plus all the regular enthusiasts with their replicas like Peter and co? That would be very worthy of 'Classic'

Please let it be organised...............

Oh and we haven't even mentioned Group 2 yet either......
Old 1 Sep 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2279438)   #70
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Guards Trophy round would be appropriate
Old 3 Sep 2008, 08:14 (Ref:2280641)   #71
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I already said this on the other S'stone Classic thread, but how about a race for '66-'68 3-litre GP cars - no slicks, no wings? Lotus 49, Cooper Maserati etc. etc. Some Climax engined Tasman cars could fill out the grid. I'd love to see something like that.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2280693)   #72
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I'm with Peter on allowing later models even up to 1970 would do me. Also agree no Super Tourers, let them play on the local banger track 1/4 mile oval.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2280695)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You mean "1980"!.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 12:52 (Ref:2280793)   #74
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Griffiths
I know I already said this on the other S'stone Classic thread, but how about a race for '66-'68 3-litre GP cars - no slicks, no wings? Lotus 49, Cooper Maserati etc. etc. Some Climax engined Tasman cars could fill out the grid. I'd love to see something like that.
Seconded!
Old 11 Sep 2008, 01:51 (Ref:2286852)   #75
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
We had precisely TWO this year? One Brabham Repco, and a glorious Cooper Alfa.

That was it...

Are there really enough for their own race?

Personally, I'm with the Group 1 or 2 or A race idea. Just the one. Until we can get some better clue as to what will work, well.

I'm on record as wanting LESS historic F1 time, thanks!

I actually walked away from one race. I'd seen enough.