Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Aug 2008, 07:02 (Ref:2266642)   #1
bigazzim3
Rookie

bigazzim3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there interest in a historical touring car championship ?

I was wondering,

Is there intrest enough for a historical touring car championship for cars of the old DTM era.
Cars like the M3, MB 190, Sierra etc?

Maybe there is allready a championship like this somewhere in Europe?
Thanks,
Ton
Old 10 Aug 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2266658)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The Classic Touring car racing Club that I run a couple of cars in have various periodic championships but they are more like Group 1.5 than full Group 2/Group A. Classic Sports Car Club were going to run a full Group 2 championship not sure if that has come to frutition. I guess running in a true full house touring car championship with slicks and unlimited turbos etc. would be beyond the reach of most club racers, it certainly would be beyond mine!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2277634)   #3
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best place for those kind of cars (up to 1988 Group A, N 1,2, etc....) is the Youngtimer series in Germany. Lots of M3, Porsches, Opels, etc....And where else would you get 2 hours qualifying & 500 kms race on the full old `ring for £350Also they have races at Spa, Zolder, Hockenheim, etc...
Alex E
Old 29 Aug 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2277637)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
2 hours, who would want to do two hours I cant even do 2 laps lately!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2277639)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigazzim3
I was wondering,

Is there intrest enough for a historical touring car championship for cars of the old DTM era.
Cars like the M3, MB 190, Sierra etc?

Maybe there is allready a championship like this somewhere in Europe?
Thanks,
Ton
Seems there's been a misunderstanding here.

First, welcome to bigazzim3. assume from your handle that you are a fan of the M3?

Second, to run a DTM type of car is very expensive so the longer running format would probably make it feasible on a cost per hour basis, however I suspect the cost of buying and preparing such cars would make it difficult in the extreme. That said I believe there are a couple of ex DTM cars running in the Britcar series.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2277662)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
That said I believe there are a couple of ex DTM cars running in the Britcar series.
Ric Wood is running an ex-DTM Astra in the BARC NW sports-saloon championship.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 07:26 (Ref:2277888)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
And he is a race preparer and engine builder/supplier so makes Peter correct. Not for us mere mortals!
Old 1 Sep 2008, 08:13 (Ref:2279191)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bigazzi, when you say DTM cars, do you mean Group A or the unique to DTM 2.5 litre formula that followed it?
Old 1 Sep 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2279726)   #9
bigazzim3
Rookie

Hello Guys,

@ Peter Mallet,

Yes, I am a big fan of the M3 E30. I understand that the running costs of these cars are high.

@ David,

What I meant were the Group-A cars and the early DTM cars 1990-1991.
If I see all adds worldwide with cars for sale, there is a big intrest in the cars.
You can see everywhere around the world that some of these cars are competing in some races (most of the time together with much younger cars)
So I thought that there must be some intrest for a proper championship for cars from let's say 1987-1992?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 2 Sep 2008, 00:56 (Ref:2279832)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have a series in Australia for Group A Touring Cars from 1984-1992. It is only for genuine Group A Touring cars with documented period competiton history. I am surprised that there is not such a series in Europe & the UK.
Old 2 Sep 2008, 02:39 (Ref:2279853)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The main reason there David is that they were sold to Australia!
Old 2 Sep 2008, 16:26 (Ref:2280178)   #12
bigazzim3
Rookie

Hello David,

Where can i find more info about this serie?
Thanks,
Ton
Old 2 Sep 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2280470)   #13
pieterbakker
Racer

European Union
Zandvoort (NL)
pieterbakker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at http://www.histo-cup.at/
Old 3 Sep 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2280538)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigazzim3
Hello David,

Where can i find more info about this series?
Thanks,
Ton
It's run in conjunction with Group C Production Touring Cars, which are unique to Australia (not Austria) and ran from 1973-1984.

www.groupc.org.au
Old 3 Sep 2008, 03:16 (Ref:2280569)   #15
grelley
Rookie

grelley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In February next year it is hoped to run some races in conjunction with classic car meetings for Group A and Touring cars in the South Island of New Zealand. The races are proposed for Timaru and Teretonga and are for touring cars from the early eighties to the mid nineties. These will include 635s. M3s, 320 Super Tourers and BTCC cars, Sierra Cosworths, Rover SD1's, possibly a Renault Laguna and Toyota Corolla, as well as the possibility of some cars from Australia. The organisers are hoping for fields of between 25 and 35 cars and possibly up to 40 cars. It is also hoped to attract some of the drivers who competed in these cars from Australia and possibly the United Kingdom.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2280692)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Long way to go for a race :-) blokes in my club boycott Pembrey and Croft a mere 200 odd miles away!