Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1418857)   #1
halecmini
Racer

United Kingdom
worcs
halecmini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Usless autosport and motoring news reports

yet again motoring news has excelled itself with a completely crap report from croft last weekend. why is it that no matter what you manage to achieve at our 'club' level your lucky to even get a mention...

People have achived some fantastic results this year not only in the monoposto but also in the formula jedi series and not even a mention!

Dc
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1418873)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've not seen this week's yet, but the format MN are running with this year can be difficult to work with. It is fine if you are the 'featured' race (which is rotated around the championships as far as possible) but it leaves you a very small word count for the remaining races. Of course, yours might not be a meeting with space for a 'featured' race - last weekend being one of the busiest of the year. Sometimes contributors don't get space to mention some categories, and sometimes the end of the report is hacked off due to there being space for less words than had been budgeted.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1418882)   #3
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, Autosport should concentrate on the more "glamorous" national and international racing with in depth reports and analysis (with an emphasis on UK Drivers and teams) whilst MN should cover those events relatively superficially - photo reports and a few well chosen paragraphs only - whilst covering club racing in far more detail. They are competing in the same market at the moment.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1418999)   #4
halecmini
Racer

United Kingdom
worcs
here here, that would make it all much better! I think there coming from the same building anyway aren't they???????
Old 28 Sep 2005, 14:23 (Ref:1419012)   #5
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
In my opinion, Autosport should concentrate on the more "glamorous" national and international racing with in depth reports and analysis (with an emphasis on UK Drivers and teams) whilst MN should cover those events relatively superficially - photo reports and a few well chosen paragraphs only - whilst covering club racing in far more detail. They are competing in the same market at the moment.
Not seen stock cars, oval racing, club rallying, karting etc in Autosport

The MNs on the selves WH Smiths city branch is dated 07/09/05 when I pointed this out the manager just shrugged. He probably knows no one buys it we all just read it!

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 28 Sep 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1419133)   #6
Raltracer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dartford, Kent
Raltracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport News - who is it for ?

It was dissapointing to see the Croft report this week. MN does seem to try and cover all aspects and mention lots of drivers .. perhaps it is trying too hard. Yet the main thrust of reportage at this time of year is for racers yet only the rally lads seem to use the ad section. MN does seem to have lost its way for me. Raltracer
Old 2 Oct 2005, 08:52 (Ref:1421930)   #7
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Has anyone offered to submit the club race reports to Autosport / MN? They may be pleased to get free copy, as long as its submitted early and in the correct format for them.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1421989)   #8
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayFF
Not seen stock cars, oval racing, club rallying, karting etc in Autosport

The MNs on the selves WH Smiths city branch is dated 07/09/05 when I pointed this out the manager just shrugged. He probably knows no one buys it we all just read it!
I have and there will be a Stock car report in Autosport this week ie the SCSA meeting on the OVAL at Rockingham
Old 2 Oct 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1422086)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
Has anyone offered to submit the club race reports to Autosport / MN? They may be pleased to get free copy, as long as its submitted early and in the correct format for them.
I'm afraid it doesn't work like that, Andy. They have reporters at every race meeting but those reporters, because of space constraints, are only allowed very low word counts to cover some of these events. See, Ian's earlier post; he has first hand knowledge of these restrictions! When a magazine (In Gear)was produced giving more detailed accounts of club racing, sadly it didn't last very long, due, I believe, to insufficient sales volumes.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1422181)   #10
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport has been in steady decline for a few years now, and with the advent of the 100 Best Crashes in F1 'feature' earlier this year followed by the totally tasteless cover last week depicting the accident on Margam stage of the RAC rally I would say that it is in freefall as far as the motorsport purist is concerned. My reaction? I cancelled my direct debit the other day after 30+ years of readership. ps. anyone want 30 years of Autosport, pm me. You collect it though!!
Old 2 Oct 2005, 21:09 (Ref:1422266)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
Yes, John Turner's response is correct. HOWEVER, if you have news, make sure it gets to the magazine, in one of two ways:

1) Call or email the staff directly - Richard Rodgers/Glenn Freeman at MN and Richard Asher/Steve English at Autospor;

2) Find a journalist at a circuit.

The more news that is submitted the more space it will get - hopefully, in the long run. So whether it is news of a championship being resolved; a new car; a landmark for a particular driver or whatever - let us have it. If we don't know, in the mag it will not go. The best person to do this is probably the championship co-ordinator, if no press officer has been appointed.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1423495)   #12
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
OK, I was always quite disappointed with the club racing section in both mags, to the extent that I cancelled my subscriptions. It seems that F1 gets 35 pages of repeated news and analysis, even when there was no racing. F3 gets about 1 page in total, and the rest is just snippets from all over. Autosport should be renamed 'F1 Sport'.
Its sad that a club meeting, say at Silverstone, can have over 100 cars & many hundreds of people there, great racing, 100's of thousands pounds spent by the competitors, and the whole meeting could be summed up by ' At Silverstone, John Smith won the Mono 2000 event, Joe Bloggs headed home one of the other races.'
Old 4 Oct 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1423516)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We have seen the success that a dedicated club race report magazine doesn't have. I guess it is all the same reasons why Autosport doesn't increase its club racing coverage anymore. Although club racing does get more pages this year than last according to the editor. See thread in Armchair.

I also guess that Autosport could subsidise it's club reporting, but those are decisions for prosperous times.

MN? Is in a similar situation, although to a different degree.

There are only so many copies that you can sell by mentioning people's names and including, the holy grail, a photo of their car.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1423533)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Autosport and Motorsport News are businesses.

They are not PR sheets for motorsport.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1423543)   #15
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

This is true, but they are alienating a part of their customer base by excluding them from the club racing section. Surely it can't cost that much to type-set some freely supplied copy / pics and slap an extra sheet of A4 in the back of the mag?
Old 4 Oct 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1423657)   #16
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

This why they are what they are if I get a good mention they get 1 more sale!

If they run F1 shock blah blah they get hundreds more the same number of words.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 4 Oct 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1423677)   #17
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course print is dead and the web is the place to get your news from. If not happy with whats available get in touch with a club/championship and offer to produce a site for them. Cost wise it's relatively cheap...time wise though it would take over your life.
There are many highly informative well presented sites out there doing such a thing, likewise there are some absolutely dire ones that tell you next to nothing, rarely have photo or news updates and seem to be covered in cobwebs
Old 4 Oct 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1423684)   #18
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
If not happy with whats available get in touch with a club/championship and offer to produce a site for them. Cost wise it's relatively cheap...time wise though it would take over your life.
Yes, it does
Old 4 Oct 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1423690)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if you think the web is the be all and end all for motorsport - then you really don't appreciate the knowledge and depth of the people who work on MN and AS. Without those mags you would be clueless as wouuld most websites be. DSC is the only website I know of that has better coverage of a subject area than any mag. but thats because they have professionals doing it full time - and DSC could easily spawn a print title - if there were the advertising to support it. But you have to pay for DSC...bit like a magazine...

Suggestions of 'just slapping in' an extra sheet at the end really show a lack of knowledge of these things - you cant just slap something in - it all costs - probably more than you think - and the extra sales do not justify the extra cost (otherwise they would have done it!)

In Gear has been mentioned and proves the club motorsport simply does not sell!!
Old 4 Oct 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1423725)   #20
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont think the web is the be all and end all and I totally appreciate all those things that you mention but as you say if club motorsport doesnt sell inprint then an alternative source of information can be sourced through the web...I ommitted the smiley after my comment "print is dead" as it was supposed to be somewhat flippant
my point is more that if you're unhappy with what you've got do something about it
Old 4 Oct 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1423732)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
DSC is the only website I know of that has better coverage of a subject area than any mag

I've seen a website which covers FF1600 better than any magazine
Old 4 Oct 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1423777)   #22
halecmini
Racer

United Kingdom
worcs
whats the dsc site? does it cover all club racing i.e. monoposto..?
Old 4 Oct 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1423780)   #23
Ian Sowman
Veteran

DSC is the DailySportsCar site - so sadly doesn't cover much club racing (although I think it covers Britcar), and not, alas, Monoposto.
Old 4 Oct 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1423853)   #24
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Mike Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both mag's are the same, I sometimes think they would be better just giving a link to the MST site and a byline saying can't be bothered look yourself! I have seen and been part of some stunning races this year and yet not a mention. I vote with my feet these days and don't buy either ( I still read other peoples though!)
Old 4 Oct 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1424041)   #25
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Holmes
Both mag's are the same, I sometimes think they would be better just giving a link to the MST site and a byline saying can't be bothered look yourself! I have seen and been part of some stunning races this year and yet not a mention. I vote with my feet these days and don't buy either ( I still read other peoples though!)
I hear this more and more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
In Gear has been mentioned and proves the club motorsport simply does not sell!!
surely a large proportion of the circulation of AS and MN are involved in club racing in some way, and therefore would like to see details of their skill and daring publicised weekly? I agree there may not be enough subscribers to maintain a club only mag, but this does not mean there is no interest in exanding the club sections in these mags.