Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Dec 2011, 22:18 (Ref:3001665)   #2401
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Also, the R18 has a bulge on the left side of the engine cover--in one of the Sebring photos, it seems to be quite visible.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 22:24 (Ref:3001667)   #2402
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
http://forums.fourtitude.com/entry.p...est-at-Sebring has some very interesting rumors:
  • Audi plans to enter 4 cars in the 24 hours of Le Mans: 2 R18s and 2 R18Hs
  • With 4 cars they will need 3 additional drivers. Loic Duval might be one of them and Marco Bonanomi will probably get a go as well.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 22:54 (Ref:3001673)   #2403
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the rumor turns out to be correct, it will be great to see Dindo get another run at Le Mans. Too early to say, but you'd have to wonder at who they'd be putting in the R18 and who they would have in the hybrids.
I guess it would come down to how much development they get into the hybrids before Le Mans, and what real chance they see in getting a hybrid to actually win rather than using it as a publicity tool, and just finishing 24 hours.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 23:06 (Ref:3001679)   #2404
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what Audi and Peugeot plan on bringing to Sebring (and Spa for that matter), but it looks like Toyota's goal of being the first hybrid car on the podium might get shattered before they even compete in a race. Granted, we've been thinking that might be the case ever since Toyota uttered those words.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 02:03 (Ref:3001707)   #2405
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Surpised that Joest hasn't been pointed out as entering 3 cars (assuming that the R18 Hybrids will clearly be factory cars), unless they plan on entering an old or at least a non-hybrid R18 as a back up.

And since Joest can only enter 3 cars under the WEC rules for endurance races (and only the two registered or highest finishing cars are points eligible), who could the tender be for the 1-2 non-Joest cars entered? Any rumors on that front recently with private R18 entries?
Old 19 Dec 2011, 02:06 (Ref:3001709)   #2406
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And since Joest can only enter 3 cars under the WEC rules for endurance races (and only the two registered or highest finishing cars are points eligible), who could the tender be for the 1-2 non-Joest cars entered? Any rumors on that front recently with private R18 entries?
Can't they just enter an extra car under the Audi Sport North America banner? It may not score WEC points, but I doubt that is Audi's biggest concern at Le Mans.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 02:26 (Ref:3001713)   #2407
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's funny how the rule gets extended to allow "official" three car teams, and the next moment Audi decides that four is better than three
Old 19 Dec 2011, 02:38 (Ref:3001716)   #2408
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
It's funny how the rule gets extended to allow "official" three car teams, and the next moment Audi decides that four is better than three
If Audi enters 4 (still unconfirmed rumor at this point as far as I can tell), I wonder if Peugeot may enter 4 as well. They've had 4 entries the past few years now through Pescarolo and Oreca. In which case, how many at-large entries will be left? Not too many and there could still be some WEC surprises. This could be concerning at some point and I wonder if that could lead the ACO to reject some WEC entries.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 03:04 (Ref:3001719)   #2409
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi, I also noticed that the rear wing endplate tail lights are gone.
Are they trying to reduce weight and save on electricity drain even though LED's are the pinnacle of power saving bulbs
Old 19 Dec 2011, 07:19 (Ref:3001762)   #2410
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Hi, I also noticed that the rear wing endplate tail lights are gone.
Are they trying to reduce weight and save on electricity drain even though LED's are the pinnacle of power saving bulbs
It is a test car for a reason. The car does not have a window screen wiper either.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 08:00 (Ref:3001767)   #2411
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
......rumors:[list][*]Audi plans to enter 4 cars in the 24 hours of Le Mans: 2 R18s and 2 R18Hs
I remember DAILY SPORTSCAR saying something along the lines of 'expect changes at Audi in 2012' suggesting a team other than Joest could run the cars. At the time, we thought Joest would make themselves available to Porsche from 2012 onwards, with another team stepping in. I'm now wondering if we might see Abt (or one of the other DTM teams) with a pair of non-hybrids and Joest running the hybrids.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 11:26 (Ref:3001817)   #2412
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
More Audi news: Audi recruits ex-Formula 1 man Dieter Gass to oversee WEC and DTM programmes
Old 19 Dec 2011, 14:46 (Ref:3001865)   #2413
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Even though they hardly did anything wrong, I wouldn't be surprised to see Audi drop Joest. Outside of Le Mans the results have been poor and they have to try something new I guess.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 23:09 (Ref:3002048)   #2414
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
More Audi gossip. According to http://murphythebear.com/blog/index....timore-buh-by/ Romain Dumas is heading back to Porsche "soon" and Audi and Porsche are fighting over Timo Bernhard.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 23:15 (Ref:3002050)   #2415
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
http://www.86400.fr/articles/195-laudi-r18-evolue- has some good pictures that highlight the R18 updates.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 00:18 (Ref:3002066)   #2416
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
http://forums.fourtitude.com/entry.p...est-at-Sebring has some very interesting rumors:
  • Audi plans to enter 4 cars in the 24 hours of Le Mans: 2 R18s and 2 R18Hs
  • With 4 cars they will need 3 additional drivers. Loic Duval might be one of them and Marco Bonanomi will probably get a go as well.
Four cars would be a great step forward for P1 as it would more than likely require a second team to supplement the factory, i.e Peugeot Sport and ORECA.

Abt has been rumoured for some time, I also note Penske were in talks to run an R18 at Le Mans last year, whoever it is will more than likely have to enter at least a partial season in the WEC/ALMS to get upto speed with the car.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 10:54 (Ref:3002173)   #2417
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Four cars would be a great step forward for P1 as it would more than likely require a second team to supplement the factory, i.e Peugeot Sport and ORECA.

Abt has been rumoured for some time, I also note Penske were in talks to run an R18 at Le Mans last year, whoever it is will more than likely have to enter at least a partial season in the WEC/ALMS to get upto speed with the car.
Expect nothing more than 3 cars from both Audi and Peugeot at Spa (like last year) and then maybe/probably* 4 cars each at Le Mans. Before or after that most probably just 2 cars each. Remember, a third car can not score points (with the exception of LM - limited to first 2 cars at the finish, not first 2 entered) towards the championship. A possible second Audi team could be run like the Peugeot-Oreca operation at LM we´ve seen over the last 2 years. It´s also possible for that team to be fully integrated into Audi´s factory team. I´m not an expert on team logistics so we´ll see. Btw, I´m not a fan of 4 cars per factory team at LM, it takes away spots from more privately run efforts preferring to non WEC running (almost entirely ELMS with probable exception of Flying Lizards).

*No public hints so far. Also 4th Pug is rumored, could be Pescarolo.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 20:10 (Ref:3002403)   #2418
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
A possible second Audi team could be run like the Peugeot-Oreca operation at LM we´ve seen over the last 2 years. It´s also possible for that team to be fully integrated into Audi´s factory team.

*No public hints so far. Also 4th Pug is rumored, could be Pescarolo.
It's this situation I think is most likely, hence needing to gain experience running the car outside Le Mans.

It's been seen in the recent past in GT1 with Porsche AG and Zakspeed, AMG Mercedes and Pearson, while teams ran R8's under the banners Audi UK, NA, Japan and France.

The big factor this time around is hybrid technology, these factory cars are super reliable, but it would take a brave man to go into this race without the back-up of a couple of conventional cars.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 20:33 (Ref:3002415)   #2419
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
It's this situation I think is most likely, hence needing to gain experience running the car outside Le Mans.

It's been seen in the recent past in GT1 with Porsche AG and Zakspeed, AMG Mercedes and Pearson, while teams ran R8's under the banners Audi UK, NA, Japan and France.

The big factor this time around is hybrid technology, these factory cars are super reliable, but it would take a brave man to go into this race without the back-up of a couple of conventional cars.
We have often seen factory cars break, even conventional ones.

If Audi chooses 2 R18H and 2 R18's (which I'm a bit skeptical about), they would want the two R18's to be just as fast as the Peugeots and Toyotas. If Toyota and Peugeot chooses same strategy (running both hybrids and conventional), they will too want the conventional to be as fast as possible.
Pushing these cars to the extreme will result in more failures, so i'm expecting a Le Mans which could go any way. (much like Le Mans 2010)
Old 21 Dec 2011, 00:03 (Ref:3002485)   #2420
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
More fire for the Audi 2012 driver lineup speculations: Loic Duval, himself rumored to be a part time Audi Sport driver, is rumored to also be headed to the #23 Nismo GT-R in Super GT, where it's expected he'll replace the rumored to be departing Beniot Treluyer. This info was found in the Super GT thread.

Treluyer, if we remember, has been believed to possibly be headed to the WEC, and Audi is a likely candidate. And it's also known that Andre Lotterer has asked Audi for a mulit-year WEC/LMP contract to be a full time driver, and both Ben and Andre were at the R18H test at Sebring this week. If both end up being full time Audi drivers, what are the chances that they may end up being paired up as a full time squad?
Old 21 Dec 2011, 07:30 (Ref:3002539)   #2421
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
It is self-evident that McNish and Kristensen will team up for WEC. For the second car Audi has to choose between Bernhard, Fassler, Lotterer and Treluyer.

Lotterer and Treluyer will only give up their factory drives in Japan if they get a full time WEC seat and perhaps even a multi-year deal.

Murphy suggested that Audi wants to steal Bernhard away from Porsche, which is only possible if they give a full time WEC seat.

Fassler was the best Audi driver in WEC last year, so he might feel entitled to a WEC seat as well.

Dr. Ullrich has a tough choice to make.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 13:48 (Ref:3002695)   #2422
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Would be a stupid decision on Bernhards part. He's been with Porsche for so long and now that it's time to go for the real reward he's leaving?

If I had the chance to contest Le Mans with either Porsche or Audi, that's a no-brainer, isn't it? Especially given that Audi has lost its invincibility at Le Mans and is in kind of a downward spiral performance-wise.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 14:29 (Ref:3002717)   #2423
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Would be a stupid decision on Bernhards part. He's been with Porsche for so long and now that it's time to go for the real reward he's leaving?

If I had the chance to contest Le Mans with either Porsche or Audi, that's a no-brainer, isn't it? Especially given that Audi has lost its invincibility at Le Mans and is in kind of a downward spiral performance-wise.
Sure, and that´s why Audi lost the last 2 edition, didn´t they? It´s as close as can be between the 2 giants, let´s hope it stays that way - or even better: one or two others can join the battle!
Old 21 Dec 2011, 14:32 (Ref:3002719)   #2424
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
You have to look at the alternative. If Bernhard chooses Porsche, he has to sit on the side line for the next two years while the WEC kicks off. He has to go back to GT racing until 2014. Of course he will be able to race the hybrid 911 at the Nurburgring (VLN, 24 hours) and perhaps elsewhere in an unclassified category without any opponents.

In 2012 he can probably still do a few races (Le Mans, Spa) with Audi. However, when Porsche starts testing with their LMP car in 2013, Audi might no longer ask for his services.
Quote:
10 Le Mans victories in 13 participations (1999-2011) is still a decent statistic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
It´s as close as can be between the 2 giants, let´s hope it stays that way - or even better: one or two others can join the battle!
Toyota has Perhaps not yet fully in 2012, but in 2013 for sure.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 20:43 (Ref:3002892)   #2425
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
New car is called R18H - it is a flywheel hybrid
R18H is probably an internal name, because according to http://www.sportauto-online.de/motor...t-4179774.html it will be called "Audi R18 TDI Plus e-tron".

In http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...-to-the-track/ Sam suggests that Audi will use the mechanical solution from Flybrid sytems that is used by Hope Racing, and hence not the electromechanical solution from Willliams Hybrid Power that is used in the hybrid 911. This implies that the hybrid system will operate on the rear wheels and not the fronts.