Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Jul 2014, 23:46 (Ref:3430424)   #151
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
High Plains Raceway, east of Denver, just needs an upgrade; Heartland Park would need upgrading anyway as well. The circuit layout at Topeka lends itself to traffic tie-ups though, and wouldn't be that fast on average speed, even with the modifications made after 2006.

I have a hard time seeing them splitting/demoting Indianapolis if they continue to run there. I'd rather they run Laguna Seca and Mosport as P/GTLM/GTD, and have PC/Lites run separately. VIR ought to be a full round, with all classes. Road America certainly does NOT need a split.

Of course, high-altitude tracks bring the added joy of having to sort out BoP for turbos versus atmospheric engines.

Last edited by Purist; 4 Jul 2014 at 23:57.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 03:39 (Ref:3430442)   #152
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, high plains raceway looks amazing, but it's a club track and need millions of dollars to put up a walls, grandstands and other infrastructure.

Tell me, is a grade 2 track necessary for TUSC to go race at it?
Old 5 Jul 2014, 05:17 (Ref:3430454)   #153
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm sure it is for LM GTE, at the least.

Keep in mind, VIR has been augmented, and modified further over this past winter. It WAS a club track, basically, when it was re-opened. Parts of it still are, practically speaking. Some would probably call Lime Rock a "club track".

Since both the tracks in Kansas and Colorado would need significant work, I just figure that you may as well do the work on the course that will deliver the better, final result. And just because a course is a "club track" now, it doesn't mean that that can't change.

Last edited by Purist; 5 Jul 2014 at 05:31.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 05:20 (Ref:3430456)   #154
Tim240z
Rookie

United States
Tim240z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be kinda tipsy right now but the only thing I really care about is the 12 hours of Sebring... That deserves to be on the same level as LeMans... and if it isn't, I no longer care about North American Endurance Racing. Seeing a fake win by a DP this year was gut wrenching. If I have to go through that one more year then my racing ADD will have to be fulfilled with the WEC. This is coming from a guy who has spent thousands to be a part of the 12 hour weekend as a participant of SVRA.

IMHO this past year was but a shell of what Sebring use to be... and if it dosnt return to its former glory then I'll be forced to abandon "North American Sportscars" and strictly follow the WEC.

Sorry Atherton and TUSC... but so far you have been a MAJOR let down.
Old 5 Jul 2014, 07:42 (Ref:3430476)   #155
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry bud keep on drinkin! Looks like "North American sport car racing" just won't be your thing from now on, lmp1 isn't coming back get used to it!and sebring will never go back to its “glory”, I wish laguna seca would return to its former glory of 6 hour races into the night with r10s,rs spyders,and arx's or the good old CART races.but those stopped and 6 hours were cut to four and p1s disappeared and then banned,p2s were cost capped and turned spec,and then 4hours cut to two and four classes split in twos.then blasphemy of an “outdated dinosaur” “not a real race car“ of a DP Turned a wheel at long beach! But I went to both and had a good time.sport car racing has always had a rough patch here and there before the next great era,but the next era is never the same as the previous glory era.this a just rough patch,the next great era is upon us,it won't be the same as before but it will be enough to be some ones glory era who never experienced ours.the wec and Le Mans hit a rouh patch for a few years after Peugeot pulled out Toyota was forced to step in and hit the ground running,but now its at the heels of a new glory era in the next 2-3 years that's shaping up to be even better than the Audi vs Peugeot glory days........but it's all on you,tusc won't miss you and wec needs a few extra fans right now who can wait three months and not forget about it........so drink away buddy.....happy fourth!!!!
Old 5 Jul 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3430480)   #156
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually, Laguna race has only three times been 6 hours, R10s and such never even run in those

1999 - 2h 45min
2000 - 2h 45min
2001 - 2h 45min
2002 - 2h 45min
2003 - 2h 45min
2004 - 4h
2005 - 4h
2006 - 4h
2007 - 4h
2008 - 4h
2009 - 4h
2010 - 6h
2011 - 6h
2012 - 6h
2013 - 4h
2014 - 2+2h=4h
Old 5 Jul 2014, 08:15 (Ref:3430484)   #157
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trust me I know, I was just generalizing all my favorite memories from alms at laguna that I consider as some what “glory days” because it can't hold a candle to all the years of sebring greatness.and even with out the audis and the awesome p2s the six hour races at laguna where just as awesome.after three awesome races of six hours,last years four hour race felt off and this years two hour double felt even worseer.but cars were on track racing and I enjoyed the action even if a kid in a dp let an important series sponsor p2 slip by and win the race, I still had a good time and people don't give gtd credit.its far better than gtc or ga gt, and more battles and competition even further down the field than gtlm it just gets the least tv time than anybody.but at the track it's very fun to watch.and pwc is great and all but I know the race I will soon watch at sonoma won't be better than either of the two races I watched at laguna.

We're in a rough patch right now,a new era will come soon wether the series lives or dies.it just may take a little while but it will come,right now it just involves somthing you don't like and that's fine.if you want to walk away go ahead you won't be missed.

Man where's that guy that left the almsfanforum because of all the negativity and made a big stink about it in a thread post declaring his departure? Man that guys head would explode if he was here reading this stuff.....
Old 5 Jul 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3430636)   #158
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And getting back to gearbox issues (I mentioned the ESM HPD issues a couple of pages ago), could we see another team switch suppliers by season's end, if not next season.

MSR has had a lot more gearbox issues than even ESM has, and tons more than Ganassi has.

If I'm not mistaken, MSR switched to Emco as their transmission supplier this year, while Ganassi stayed with XTrac. Ganassi hasn't had an actual transmission problem, while MSR has had several, though a lot of their issues seem to be with the paddle shift system rather than anything mechanical. I don't know if all teams use the same paddle shift system supplier, or they're allowed to choose their own.

Oreca on the LMC cars use an old Megaline system that Audi used on the R8, R10 and R15 before the R18 series switched to a purely electronic system (made by either Zytek or XTrac), and in the case of Oreca, are mated to a cheap, budget customer XTrac gearbox, something that was described by Marshall Pruett as belonging on a dump truck or tractor trailer rig.

But if there are mechanical issues (ESM have had several and MSR has also had some it seems as well), one thing that they have in common could be that the HPD and Ford turbocharged V6s make so much torque that the gearboxes can't always handle it.

Could it be differing gearbox specs combined with turbo engines and their power/torque characteristics that are responsible for the gearbox issues some Prototype teams are having?
Old 5 Jul 2014, 23:55 (Ref:3430722)   #159
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And getting back to gearbox issues (I mentioned the ESM HPD issues a couple of pages ago), could we see another team switch suppliers by season's end, if not next season.

MSR has had a lot more gearbox issues than even ESM has, and tons more than Ganassi has.

If I'm not mistaken, MSR switched to Emco as their transmission supplier this year, while Ganassi stayed with XTrac. Ganassi hasn't had an actual transmission problem, while MSR has had several, though a lot of their issues seem to be with the paddle shift system rather than anything mechanical. I don't know if all teams use the same paddle shift system supplier, or they're allowed to choose their own.

Oreca on the LMC cars use an old Megaline system that Audi used on the R8, R10 and R15 before the R18 series switched to a purely electronic system (made by either Zytek or XTrac), and in the case of Oreca, are mated to a cheap, budget customer XTrac gearbox, something that was described by Marshall Pruett as belonging on a dump truck or tractor trailer rig.

But if there are mechanical issues (ESM have had several and MSR has also had some it seems as well), one thing that they have in common could be that the HPD and Ford turbocharged V6s make so much torque that the gearboxes can't always handle it.

Could it be differing gearbox specs combined with turbo engines and their power/torque characteristics that are responsible for the gearbox issues some Prototype teams are having?
The HR28tt is making more power/torque in TUSCC than in WEC and it looks like the trans can't handle it.In WEC spec it is almost bullet proof.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 02:10 (Ref:3430735)   #160
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I'm sure it is for LM GTE, at the least.

Keep in mind, VIR has been augmented, and modified further over this past winter. It WAS a club track, basically, when it was re-opened. Parts of it still are, practically speaking. Some would probably call Lime Rock a "club track".

Since both the tracks in Kansas and Colorado would need significant work, I just figure that you may as well do the work on the course that will deliver the better, final result. And just because a course is a "club track" now, it doesn't mean that that can't change.
I worked at VIR (SCCA F&C) in the spring for both SCCA races (Masters and Regional) and can comment on the upgrades some. The paddock was completely paved (no more sand paddock spaces), pit road widened, S/F moved closer to turn 1 (per a NASCAR request), and the track widened.

Now for the track being widened it was and it wasn't. The additional asphalt was added on the outside of the existing curbs and in order to use that new asphalt you must jump the curb. It's not as bad as it sounds as the asphalt and curb is level so you would only have to deal with the dips (FIA curbing) and not the elevation change.

VIR is about 4 seconds a lap quicker now after the repave.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 02:23 (Ref:3430739)   #161
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I'm a little late to this party but somewhat of a solution (not the total solution) seems to me to allow the LMPC teams to come in earlier for more track time at promoter test days prior to the event. This would lead to more seat time for the 'am' footing the bill and allow them to get the car sorted a little more and then during mixed class practice sessions, the drivers could use the time to work through traffic situations a little more. Maybe that would help somewhat?
Old 6 Jul 2014, 05:37 (Ref:3430781)   #162
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The problem with that is that the Ams tend to have a dayjob... as does much of the crew in many cases.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 10:35 (Ref:3430849)   #163
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelland View Post
I know I'm a little late to this party but somewhat of a solution (not the total solution) seems to me to allow the LMPC teams to come in earlier for more track time at promoter test days prior to the event. This would lead to more seat time for the 'am' footing the bill and allow them to get the car sorted a little more and then during mixed class practice sessions, the drivers could use the time to work through traffic situations a little more. Maybe that would help somewhat?
In BES they came up, last year I think, with something called the Bronze session. Giving an hour extra to the gentleman drivers before the collective practice sessions start. Maybe TUSC could do the same with PC and GTD Ams? Added running cost covered by the guys who want it, need it and pay for it. And they'd be more ready when they're thrown in with all cars for the 1st real practice.

If timing is tight, then maybe just 30min session followed without a pause with Practice1.

As a GT man, I'm following the GTD quite closely. I think they would be so much better if they even tried to learn from what has been done in Europe since 2006 when GT3, BoP, driver ratings and such were born. Reinventing the wheel has lead to a mess where nobody is happy. Why not use a working concept? I'm not only talking about using the cars solely on GT3 spec.

About GT3 vs. GTD. Removing ABS and TC doesn't turn it upside down for any manufacturer. Or changing the rubber. Changing aero might.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 11:56 (Ref:3430866)   #164
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In an effort to save money, TUSC has drastically reduced track time for every class; the Ams just need it more, but no one is getting it.

What used to be three-day events are now squeezed into two days; a couple practice sessions were cut.

The issue isn't simple; not just the Am teams have to consider cost. The cost for hotel rooms for all the crew is considerable.

Whether or not the series ever becomes sufficiently profitable (for TUSC and the teams) to be able top expand to more reasonable schedules ... well ... just keep repeating "The glass is half full ... "
Old 6 Jul 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3430876)   #165
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
In an effort to save money, TUSC has drastically reduced track time for every class; the Ams just need it more, but no one is getting it.

What used to be three-day events are now squeezed into two days; a couple practice sessions were cut.

The issue isn't simple; not just the Am teams have to consider cost. The cost for hotel rooms for all the crew is considerable.

Whether or not the series ever becomes sufficiently profitable (for TUSC and the teams) to be able top expand to more reasonable schedules ... well ... just keep repeating "The glass is half full ... "
Checked this weekend's timing. Practice starts on Friday at 11.55, race is on Sunday. That's 3 days on-track and everyone arrives on Thursday I suppose.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 12:35 (Ref:3430897)   #166
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So ... everyone gets four practice sessions? Or three, and qualifying Saturday afternoon?

I know they lopped a day off Sebing, and a couple others. if the rest of the races are three-day sessions, well, excellent.

As Mr. Hedlund noted, the Pros in PCs messed up at the Glen. Alex Taglianini isn't short of seat time.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3431142)   #167
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Long beach track time has always been a joke but Laguna seca was also a race that lost its promoter test day which was free to the public and hours worth of data to the teams.this year teams lost those hours of valuable data and the two seperate races practiced together which made no sense and caused several red flags and lost time.

After that race there was an article about teams complaining and Imsa was going to look into adding the third day.so hopefully they are adding more track time,seems like the pcs need it.i don't know what was up with tagliani at the glen, he knows how to wheel a car but he looked like he was panicking or something.must of thought he was still in nationwide at road America.
Old 12 Jul 2014, 18:57 (Ref:3433220)   #168
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like that Marshall Pruett is doing this round table discussion with people in all 4 TUSK classes on Racer. The GTD one is up now. John Potter of Magnus is certainly someone who would like to see LMPC go away. More potential gentleman driver customers who could go to GTD in fact. The discussion of GT3 certainly came up too. Consenus is that the panel does want to see that happen. The other panels will be interesting too. Basically what I want to see is this: GTD: Go to GT3; GTLM: More horsepower; LMPC: go away; Prototype: Believe it or not keep as is.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 03:49 (Ref:3433332)   #169
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem of going to full-on GT3 regs is that it is almost as fast as GTE. GTLM drivers will really have to pick his way with a lap time advantage of less than 1s on average. And GTLM/GTE/GT2 cannot go any faster because they are limited by the pace of LMP2 cars. So I'd suggest adopt GT3 spec and an additional 100kg ballast to create a gap for safe passing.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 04:21 (Ref:3433338)   #170
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10543...owall=&start=2
I find Oergel's comments very interesting about preferring fewer but longer races concentrating on the major venues (e.g. COTA, Road America). TUSCC would certainly lose variety, but would the invdividual races perform better?
Old 13 Jul 2014, 04:33 (Ref:3433340)   #171
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10543...owall=&start=2
I find Oergel's comments very interesting about preferring fewer but longer races concentrating on the major venues (e.g. COTA, Road America). TUSCC would certainly lose variety, but would the invdividual races perform better?
He also hints that the category is done after 2015 completly as well.
Old 13 Jul 2014, 05:05 (Ref:3433344)   #172
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The idea of having fewer races and longer races has been brought up in both State of the Union articles which is interesting. Actually, it is somewhat odd considering American sports car racing has had the 2:45 races for over a decade now (and probably before the ALMS days too).
Old 13 Jul 2014, 05:06 (Ref:3433345)   #173
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Fewer races... less sanctioning fees....
Old 15 Jul 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3434134)   #174
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2015 Tudor SportsCar Championship schedule

We all agree on the classics: Daytona, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Road America. But what about the rest of the schedule?

I think that Mid-Ohio and Lime Rock should return, and Kansas should be dropped. Here's my proposal:

Jan - 24h Daytona (all)
Mar - 12h Sebring (all)
Apr - 2h Long Beach (P / GTLM)
May - 3+3h Laguna Seca (all)
Jun - 2h Detroit (P / GTD)
Jun - 6h Watkins Glen (all)
Jul - 3h Mosport (P / GTLM / GTD)
Jul - 4h Indianapolis (PC / GTD)
Aug - 3h Mid-Ohio (P / PC / GTLM)
Aug - 3+3h Road America (all)
Sep - 3h Lime Rock (P / GTLM)
Sep - 4h Virginia (PC / GTD)
Sep - 3+3h Austin (all)
Oct - 10h Road Atlanta (all)

3+3h means split races for protos and GTs.

To compensate for Lime Rock and Mid-Ohio, Indianapolis loses P and GTM, while Virginia loses GTLM.

What's your proposals?
Old 15 Jul 2014, 21:45 (Ref:3434250)   #175
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
There's no good reason to split Road America or Austin. I can't see Indianapolis happening any other way but with all classes. Mid Ohio would be better off with the same arrangement as Mosport.

Because of TV, the "sprint" races are going to be 2 hours and 45 minutes, not an even 3 hours.

I do prefer the 2-hour duration for the street/parkland circuits, as opposed to just 100 minutes.

1. 24h Daytona
2. 12h Sebring
3. 2h Long Beach (P/GTLM)
4. 2h45min Laguna Seca (P/GTLM/GTD) (PC/Lites)
5. 2h Detroit (P/GTD)
6. 6h Watkins Glen
7. 2h45min Mosport (P/GTLM/GTD)
8. 2h45min Mid Ohio (P/GTLM/GTD) (PC/Lites)
9. 4h Road America
10. 2h45min Lime Rock (GTLM/GTD)
11. 4h VIRginia
12. 2h45min Austin
13. 10h Road Atlanta

Mid Ohio and Road America are close enough to Indianapolis, are known quantities for Sportscar racing, and will probably be MUCH more loved by fans AND participants alike. (Do you really think the USCC will get pride of place in the paddock with Nationwide and Sprint Cup rolling in?)

I'm somewhat grudgingly including Austin. I don't care for the paved run-offs, for starters, and the layout just seems like another one that is too tailor-made, exclusively for F1.

I think it just makes the most sense to phase out PC here. I'm fine letting them run out their contract, but after that, they need to find one of the other three classes to slot in to. They will get better exposure/TV time in any of the other classes, and a few might even have driver line-ups good enough to make a splash in one of the Pro categories.

I know about the comments made in the State of GTLM piece, but I have to disagree on at least one point regarding the schedule. VIR is close enough to HUGE population centers, cumulatively, in both Virginia and North Carolina, that it really would NOT hurt the series to do some proper promotion in the region.