Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2023, 22:48 (Ref:4169485)   #26
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Like others, I'm not convinced by the trial tyre use in Qual but it did through up a pretty exciting and close-fought series of sessions. That might change on further weekends using the same tyre allocation, as teams get their head around it.

Good result for Lewis - feels like it'll be fairly close for the race between a few of them, if it ends up that way, can only be a good thing.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 01:55 (Ref:4169492)   #27
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
How great are those kids? They know their stuff and their enthusiasm is infectious Feel like telling Croftie and co to shut up and pass it to the kids
(im in Australia - the "kids feed" isnt available

On ya younguns you rock!

'
Those kids are so clever, loved it
Old 23 Jul 2023, 06:05 (Ref:4169499)   #28
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Well that potentially livens up what has been a string of processional races for the win. Any other track we would probably expect Verstappen to breeze past and cruise off into the distance, but even with DRS, perhaps we will have a race here. Even so, I think that Hamilton will have his work cut out.
Well, that's given us all an added edge for the race is he can hold Verstappen at bay into Turn 1. It was a popular result at the circuit and the 'Orange Army' was very muted.

It's probably going to come down to whether Hamilton can keep him out of DRS range. If he can, that opens up the strategy book for Mercedes. If he can't, that Red Bull could just sail by.

Incidentally, we watched qualifying from the Turns 6 and 7 chicane. We entered that area before the F2 and I think it might have been for different ticket holders. No one was checking, but later when I went to grab a beer, the queue was really long, so I decided to venture further afield to find another stand and I realised I was in a non-general admission area. So I stayed and enjoyed the qually from there.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 07:25 (Ref:4169503)   #29
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's worth mentioning that I think Hamilton is not going to be overly generous with space with Verstappen. He has absolutely nothing to lose.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 08:04 (Ref:4169504)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

It's probably going to come down to whether Hamilton can keep him out of DRS range. If he can, that opens up the strategy book for Mercedes. If he can't, that Red Bull could just sail by.
And that - is a really sad state of affairs.......
Old 23 Jul 2023, 08:47 (Ref:4169512)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Wow, what a mixed up grid we have. Couldn't believe it when I saw Hamilton on pole. Big contrast to team mate Russell. Good to see McLaren up there and both Alfas in the top 10

Should make for an interesting race
Old 23 Jul 2023, 11:34 (Ref:4169523)   #32
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
And that - is a really sad state of affairs.......
It is, but as I'm in the at the circuit spirit, I didn't want to bum anyone out, so I subtly mentioned it without having a rant.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 13:06 (Ref:4169528)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was not a good start for Hamilton, who drops down to 4th.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 13:15 (Ref:4169530)   #34
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alpine double DNF continues to screw my fantasy team!

Richard
Old 23 Jul 2023, 13:23 (Ref:4169532)   #35
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
AT erases Yuki's great start with a seven second pit stop.

Richard
Old 23 Jul 2023, 13:34 (Ref:4169534)   #36
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Daniel shows that he was the smart choice to replace De Vries. That pit stop shuffles him to the rear.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 13:38 (Ref:4169535)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
And Daniel shows that he was the smart choice to replace De Vries. That pit stop shuffles him to the rear.

Did AT make the call?
Old 23 Jul 2023, 13:51 (Ref:4169536)   #38
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, and it seems that tire choice is what brought him back in. Hard tire not working for him.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 13:55 (Ref:4169537)   #39
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
Meanwhile, the Mc Larens are going great. They may have found their competitiveness.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 14:46 (Ref:4169540)   #40
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not a great race that one. Good recoveries from Perez and George. Awful race for Ferrari. Alfa Romeo and Alpine as well. Good drive by Riccardo, who had a bizarre strategy but he made it work well.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 14:47 (Ref:4169541)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Super Max on 7 in a row and congrats to RBR on 12 wins in a row, beating McLaren's long held record. As for McLaren, their resurgence continues.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 14:48 (Ref:4169543)   #42
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Well its still half a second a lap for Max......but well done to Lando for a strong second.....and Perez was under pressure from Lewis at the end, although recovered well from his poor qualy.

Good recovery from George Russell, too!

Danny Ric a solid performance to finish were he started after losing places after the first corner fracas.

Not an exciting race but intersting.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 15:51 (Ref:4169558)   #43
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Well, can't say that was a thriller, but it was interesting to be trackside. We watched from a range of corners and were reminded all over again of the braking distances and in-corner speed of an F1 car, even just in medium-speed corners.

Unfortunately we never got to see how long Hamilton would have stayed up front, but I doubt he could have held that like of pace of Verstappen off. I imagine we were saved the inevitable DRS pass. Norris continues to impress. That's two seconds at two completely different circuits. Pérez is still not doing much with that Red Bull. Not that impressed to be honest. Poor qualifying and normal race. It seems embarrassing he event talks of beating Verstappen.

Piastri was impressive again. Hamilton was caught napping s bit by Norris and it's a pity about the start. Russell was very good.
Old 23 Jul 2023, 23:19 (Ref:4169632)   #44
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:

. Pérez is still not doing much with that Red Bull. Not that impressed to be honest. Poor qualifying and normal race. It seems embarrassing he event talks of beating Verstappen.

Piastri was impressive again. Hamilton was caught napping s bit by Norris and it's a pity about the start. Russell was very good.
I agree about Piastri but not about Perez.
The F1 highlights package actually highlighted his overtakes and his combativeness, and on those observations he was doing all that could be required of him.

You mentioned the short braking distances and the corner speed of a F1 car. That is what makes F1 overtaking so difficult.

Its not like overtaking in your hatchback around Picadilly Circus....
Old 24 Jul 2023, 04:47 (Ref:4169643)   #45
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Did AT make the call?
Danny Ric call supposedly. Not the team
Old 24 Jul 2023, 07:49 (Ref:4169653)   #46
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I'm probably being harsh on Pérez, but he shouldn't have been so far back for so many races. He is Red Bull's ideal teammate for Verstappen though because he's a very good driver who fits into the (mostly) quick enough to pick up the pieces but not fast enough to beat the number 1 role.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 08:32 (Ref:4169659)   #47
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Probably the most entertaining part of the race was Norris breaking the winner's trophy. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7FqP7...cyB0cm9waHk%3D Maybe Norris should be given a penalty and Veratappen disqualified as he no longer has a trophy. Pérez for the win.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 13:03 (Ref:4169703)   #48
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm probably being harsh on Pérez, but he shouldn't have been so far back for so many races. He is Red Bull's ideal teammate for Verstappen though because he's a very good driver who fits into the (mostly) quick enough to pick up the pieces but not fast enough to beat the number 1 role.
The flip argument is that despite having rough races, Perez has extended his gap in the championship to third place quite comfortably recently. Statistically, he is the best number 2 driver Red Bull has ever had, and he keeps extending this statistic even on bad weekends.
Old 24 Jul 2023, 13:56 (Ref:4169712)   #49
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Probably the most entertaining part of the race was Norris breaking the winner's trophy. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7FqP7...cyB0cm9waHk%3D Maybe Norris should be given a penalty and Veratappen disqualified as he no longer has a trophy. Pérez for the win.
Some of the comments on that video. Yikes! I suspect some Hungarians are not happy with Lando. But seriously, it was an accident. Trophy looked beautiful. Hopefully it can be replaced? I wonder if they made duplicates "just in case" (i.e. damaged in transit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The flip argument is that despite having rough races, Perez has extended his gap in the championship to third place quite comfortably recently. Statistically, he is the best number 2 driver Red Bull has ever had, and he keeps extending this statistic even on bad weekends.
I agree with what you are saying. The problem is... even if logically he is getting it done, he has to be irritating RBR. I think he is doing a great job of racing through the field and making some aggressive and great passes. But at the same time, can you be the hero if you are fixing the disaster that is of your own creation? Hopefully he settles down. I don't think he ever was in the running to beat Max, but as you point out, he is getting it done and surviving the pressure cooker that is RBR and always being measured against Max.

Richard
Old 24 Jul 2023, 14:35 (Ref:4169721)   #50
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Really seems like perception is winning out over facts in Perez case.