Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Mar 2017, 11:12 (Ref:3719575)   #1
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2017 MSA British Rally Championship

https://www.msabrc.com

Started last night with the Border Counties Rally...

Hopefully the series will grow into something bigger.
Old 18 Mar 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3719582)   #2
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really enjoyed it last year, I thought it was decent enough to justify the year out.

I haven't seen as much off season build up for the 2017 Championship, must confess that I didn't know it was kicking off this weekend.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3719995)   #3
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I really enjoyed it last year, I thought it was decent enough to justify the year out.

I haven't seen as much off season build up for the 2017 Championship, must confess that I didn't know it was kicking off this weekend.
Knowing that you're a Motorsport fan, isn't that a little damning of the organisers/ promoters??
I still maintain that rallying in the UK is pretty poor at promoting itself. Where was the radio coverage of this event? I've hardly seen the BRC mentioned on the popular motorsport forums. Why? It looked as though it was a decent event; if a little short.

I'll give those in charge a chance as its only the 2nd full season - but you would hope that in the near future the promotion (of events & the series) will improve drastically.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 14:21 (Ref:3720188)   #4
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
Knowing that you're a Motorsport fan, isn't that a little damning of the organisers/ promoters??
I don't want to damn anyone unfairly but yes, perhaps. I rely on Facebook to keep up with a lot of motorsport and I know Facebook has a tendancy to filter what you see, so it's possible I have missed some press releases...

...having said that, if you look at the BRC page there doesn't seem to be as much activity (i.e. news stories) as there were last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
I still maintain that rallying in the UK is pretty poor at promoting itself. Where was the radio coverage of this event? I've hardly seen the BRC mentioned on the popular motorsport forums. Why? It looked as though it was a decent event; if a little short.
Is radio as crucial these days? Social media seems to be the most far-reaching form of communication. I had seen some off-season talk about the 2017 season on the British Rally forum, though I tend not to post their much as some of the posters do seem overly hostile if they don't like what they read!

Details aside, I do agree with your overall point: rallying in the UK is not well promoted and, where the BRC seemed strong early last year (I guess as a push to launch the "new look" Championship), it doesn't seem to have been consistent.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 21:00 (Ref:3720056)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rallying in the UK is suffering largely because of the ineptitide of the MSA and the panic stations bought in for insurance at single venues.

theya re now akin to watching a circuit race and only being allowed to watch from one small 18 yard box sized area as the MSA are cacking themselves about claims.

If you wnat to watch decent rallying, take the short hop to Ireland, or France and Belgium, basically anywhere where they close roads.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3720059)   #6
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chunder you are talking B0ll0cks. Changes had to made to British Rallying, following the tragic events on the Jim Clark Rallying in 2014. It is far from panic stations, just read the recommendations from the Scottish government. Their is still to be the Fatal accident inquiry into 4 deaths on Scottish rallies. Some of us still don't know if we will have to attend and some officials (unpaid volunteers) still don't know if they will face criminal prosecutions. So please don't tell me it is panic stations.

Having actually been on 3 rallies over the last few weekends I have yet to see any 18 yard boxes. Yes there are areas where we don't want spectators, but we are certainly not excluding them. On one junction I was at on Saturday we must of had upwards of 200 spectators none complained about being "hemmed in" Just as an aside one of those spectators was Malcolm Wilson.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 22:41 (Ref:3720072)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So why do they have accidents and fatals all over the world without the insane restrictions? And then on public roads just as Jim Clark was. Exact same sort of rallies.

Tell me that? there are plenty of bad crashes everywhere. not juts the UK.

I know a couple of folks that used to do 5 or 6 single venues a year, every year and bigger stage rallies, they are not going anymore due to the ridiculous pens you are told to be in

Some of the circuit rallies are OK, but the proper airfield venues are a no no.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 23:37 (Ref:3720080)   #8
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
Your post reads as though it is OK for spectators to die, provided you can have the sport you want.

It doesn't matter what is going on in the rest of the world the threat to UK rallying is real. We either have to change how we do thing or it will cease to be a sport in the UK.

You haven't grasped this basic fact.

So you know 5 or 6 people that are not attending rallies based on an assumption. Maybe their assumption is based on the cobblers you are spouting.

As I said earlier, I have been this year so far to 3 rallies in the forests of the UK and at every one there were plenty of spectators.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3720117)   #9
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
Read your own post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
So why do they have accidents and fatals all over the world without the insane restrictions?
My interpretation of that is, people die on rallies across the world, where" insane restrictions" are not in place. The "insane restrictions" are being put in place to try and prevent these events happening. So if you don't want the restrictions you must feel it is OK for people to die. Now I fully except that that may be the wrong interpretation. But the fact that you can't see the need to change does make me question just what you are saying.

Some of the venues that state no spectators, it is the land owners who have but those restrictions on.

Doesn't matter what the venue the rallying is the same things apply.

Maybe you and the people you Know could come and marshal instead. Just might give you a better idea of what actually goes on.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3720134)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver View Post
Some of the venues that state no spectators, it is the land owners who have but those restrictions on.
This is very much true of most of the events we do - they're on military land so they don't want people wandering about. Some events you have to provide a list of names of people that will be entering the site and show id when you arrive. It does mean that there aren't any spectators and our service crews are limited in what they can see of the action - but it does allow us to use the venue. It also explains why the circuit based events are popular - after spending hours waiting around in windswept service areas on old airfields and only seeing us flash past every now and again the chance to see us on a large proportion of the stage is quite appealing (apparently!).
Old 20 Mar 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3720111)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Forest rallying is veryl very different, usually better access.

I am talking about single venue events at airfield etc where you could turn up, potter around and walk most of the stages as long as you used your head, those events are now not really fan friendly.

If you think I want people to die,l well then you really do not deserve a response to that. AS I would get banned.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 09:14 (Ref:3720376)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Forgive me flag, but as a long time rally fan, some of the marshaling I have seen on forest and single venue rallies has been fairly poor. AS has some of the knowledge and dumbness of spectators. People lying in ditches outside a bend with a camera!!

A lot of crews had to rely on speccies to help them out at times in the past. I do understand why, at junctions etc you can't leave a post and there are lots of reasons why this can't be helped, but I have witnessed just as poor marshalling as spectating on a few rallies.

I have tried it and it is not for me, and there has always been this attitude from people who flag, that instead of mentioning it, you simply go and do it. Fair enough. But I simply want to go and watch rallies up close and every now and then be able to help out a crew or warn other of a problem to help you guys out.

Also, getting rid of fans on single venues has a minor risk attached too. If a crew is in a tricky spot and there are very few marshals around, but one or two speccys, it is possible they might be able to help, or at least slow others down. I have not done this, but I know a guy who has done this several times, possible saving an incident and certainly helping. You know how it is on smaller rallies, there can often be a couple of minutes between cars or several going by within a half minute.

So losing speccies completely from stages though safer for them and the ones that are a bit unaware, also means the crews and you marshals lose a bit of help. God forbid people simply help each other, we can't have that can we.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3720416)   #13
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were plenty of spectators @ the Hairpin we were doing the Radio Car for, on the Malcolm Wilson a couple of weeks ago, and they were great.

In my experience there is a very small minority who spoil it for the rest by their arrogance & stupidity. Just like every other sport in the UK.
Old 21 Mar 2017, 14:57 (Ref:3720419)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Agreed on both counts, it ,must be tough to get a full marshal suite for rallies so it is perhaps not a surprise that the odd one is a little clueless! Just have to hope nothing awful happens.

And most marshals I have met on rallies are decent, the odd little Hitler, but then I am afraid the nature of the job attracts that in some people. And you can find the same in car parks, airshows, scout groups anywhere!! lol
Old 25 Sep 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3769717)   #15
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the BRC for 2017 is over.
And Keith Cronin claimed his 4th Title by 0.1 of a second to win on the Isle of Man over Matt Edwards, with previous championship leader Frederik Ahlin 3rd.

Not sure about the BRC; it's still not attracting big enough fields, and not enough interest, in my opinion.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3769722)   #16
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
So the BRC for 2017 is over.
And Keith Cronin claimed his 4th Title by 0.1 of a second to win on the Isle of Man over Matt Edwards, with previous championship leader Frederik Ahlin 3rd.

Not sure about the BRC; it's still not attracting big enough fields, and not enough interest, in my opinion.
I was keeping track of the final round of the Championship via Facebook, certainly a close finish!

The entries haven't been massive, but there has been some close results at some of the rounds. Beyond social media though, I have seen very little coverage.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 12:49 (Ref:3769737)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I was keeping track of the final round of the Championship via Facebook, certainly a close finish!

The entries haven't been massive, but there has been some close results at some of the rounds. Beyond social media though, I have seen very little coverage.
I've been watching the highlights programs, the events have looked pretty good but again as you've mentioned the entries aren't huge so it's been a pretty limited set of drivers getting coverage. I thought Ahlin would take the title though, he'd seemed to be the most consistent over the course of the year. I'd be good to see a few more different manufacturers represented - it's a bit of a 'Fiesta challenge' with the exception of the odd Skoda here and there.