Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Feb 2016, 00:37 (Ref:3617847)   #601
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Paddy Lowe - Head Protection.

http://www.f1reader.com/news/lowe-he...squs_container
Old 26 Feb 2016, 08:25 (Ref:3617899)   #602
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The big difference between F1 and WEC that everyone seems to have ignored is that WEC has doors! That fundamentally makes driver extraction easier. Also because of the doors, the car is held together by A posts and a spine down the roof.

This is why blithely saying "why can't F1 cars have canopies because WEC do" is an over simplification. Likewise the comparison with dragsters which only go in a straight line.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 13:25 (Ref:3617969)   #603
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Likewise the comparison with dragsters which only go in a straight line.
That is only the case if nothing goes wrong, is it not?
The canopy is there to protect the driver in case something does go wrong.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 13:27 (Ref:3617970)   #604
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well yes but broadly speaking they are then unable to do anything. There's not enough steering lock to catch a sideways movement so you don't need to look out sideways. A circuit racer looks through the corner, moves his head to spot an apex etc.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 13:30 (Ref:3617972)   #605
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The big difference between F1 and WEC that everyone seems to have ignored is that WEC has doors! That fundamentally makes driver extraction easier. Also because of the doors, the car is held together by A posts and a spine down the roof.

This is why blithely saying "why can't F1 cars have canopies because WEC do" is an over simplification. Likewise the comparison with dragsters which only go in a straight line.
They also hit higher speeds than F1 cars, going from 0 to north of 300mph in just over 3 seconds and in less than 1000 feet....
Old 26 Feb 2016, 15:29 (Ref:3618000)   #606
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Brabham test circa 1967, when F1 was still innovative?
Why can't the modern F1 canopy be like this? Moved forward to offer a large extraction area, but still covering the front of the driver?
Old 26 Feb 2016, 15:52 (Ref:3618011)   #607
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Sure, everyone understands that egress is something to be solved. It has been talked about for pages with any number of potential solutions. Not to mention the egress issues that exist with the existing solution. That doesn't mean WEC and other types that use a canopy or closed cockpit are not eminently comparable if you look at this from a technical and driver perspective.

Quote:
Well yes but broadly speaking they are then unable to do anything. There's not enough steering lock to catch a sideways movement so you don't need to look out sideways. A circuit racer looks through the corner, moves his head to spot an apex etc.
So its not about you might not need one in a dragster (I was going to ask you to explain that to Richard Hammond who if I remember correctly had cockpit intrusion (earth and sod) in his crash). But it is about vision?

Did I miss something? When did continuous canopies somehow automatically prevent side views? If the peripheral vision doesn't exist in the dragster version, it is because they designed it out of the solution due to a lack of need. I believe even without a canopy, they sit deep back in the cockpit. WEC drivers (prototype and GT) have more side view because they need it. If you want to take it to extremes, combat aircraft have continuous canopies that terminate behind the pilot with excellent visibility.

A continuous and seamless canopy is a very real option for F1. While someone may decide that an "A" pillar design is the right thing, understand that today they have nothing ahead of them for rollover protection. It is just the front of the crash structure and the roll hoop with the assurance that the top of the helmet is far below the plane of those two things . Why couldn't that continue along with a strong canopy? Canopy distortion is another potential issue, but I think that can be addressed.

Frankly being able to "see an apex" is the wrong argument. You are positioning your car a good bit in advance of a corner. Sometimes you can't even "see" the apex. If you are looking out the "side" of your car to "see an apex" you are doing something wrong as you are seeing it about the time you go past it. The right argument is the ability to see other cars near you (overtaking, battling for a corner, etc.). But again, the vision stuff can be addressed.

And as always... Somehow all of those other circuit racers in closed cockpits somehow manage to find those apexes, etc.! See my comments further up about the quantity of overtaking and traffic that WEC drivers have to deal with. Potentially orders of magnitude more overtakes when compared to F1. They make it work.

Richard
Old 26 Feb 2016, 18:22 (Ref:3618042)   #608
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
this might have been a questions already asked and answered, but given the recent death of Justin Wilson, what ideas/solutions about closed cockpits are coming from the Indy/Dallara camps?
Old 26 Feb 2016, 18:40 (Ref:3618046)   #609
MrBloodmuffins
Rookie

MrBloodmuffins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
this might have been a questions already asked and answered, but given the recent death of Justin Wilson, what ideas/solutions about closed cockpits are coming from the Indy/Dallara camps?
This article was released yesterday and should help answer your question.

My guess is that it will be a transparent windscreen in front of the driver.
They say that they can have them mounted on the cars by the 2017 season.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 19:06 (Ref:3618059)   #610
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBloodmuffins View Post
This article was released yesterday and should help answer your question.

My guess is that it will be a transparent windscreen in front of the driver.
They say that they can have them mounted on the cars by the 2017 season.
Interesting because there is absolutely nothing about this on the IndyCar website.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3618061)   #611
MrBloodmuffins
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Interesting because there is absolutely nothing about this on the IndyCar website.
I'm sure it will be when they get a price and distribution deal set up.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3618062)   #612
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks for the link

Without divulging the companies involved, IndyCar president Jay Frye told IndyStar that more than one has military contracts, and their ideas are rooted in lightweight, cost-effective devices that could be implemented in the current car design and transferred between cars. Specific costs haven’t been formulated, but it’s likely they could come in well below $25,000 per car.

no artists renderings but thats a much lower price point then i would have thought possible...im sure F1 will find a way to add a couple of zeros to the end of it though.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3618065)   #613
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBloodmuffins View Post
I'm sure it will be when they get a price and distribution deal set up.
There's no mention on the IndyCar website that materials for better driver head protection are being tested on Friday and Saturday's open session.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 19:39 (Ref:3618069)   #614
MrBloodmuffins
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There's no mention on the IndyCar website that materials for better driver head protection are being tested on Friday and Saturday's open session.
We will just have to wait and see on that one.
Old 26 Feb 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3618110)   #615
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Sure, everyone understands that egress is something to be solved. It has been talked about for pages with any number of potential solutions. Not to mention the egress issues that exist with the existing solution. That doesn't mean WEC and other types that use a canopy or closed cockpit are not eminently comparable if you look at this from a technical and driver perspective.

So its not about you might not need one in a dragster (I was going to ask you to explain that to Richard Hammond who if I remember correctly had cockpit intrusion (earth and sod) in his crash). But it is about vision?

Did I miss something? When did continuous canopies somehow automatically prevent side views? If the peripheral vision doesn't exist in the dragster version, it is because they designed it out of the solution due to a lack of need. I believe even without a canopy, they sit deep back in the cockpit. WEC drivers (prototype and GT) have more side view because they need it. If you want to take it to extremes, combat aircraft have continuous canopies that terminate behind the pilot with excellent visibility.

A continuous and seamless canopy is a very real option for F1. While someone may decide that an "A" pillar design is the right thing, understand that today they have nothing ahead of them for rollover protection. It is just the front of the crash structure and the roll hoop with the assurance that the top of the helmet is far below the plane of those two things . Why couldn't that continue along with a strong canopy? Canopy distortion is another potential issue, but I think that can be addressed.

Frankly being able to "see an apex" is the wrong argument. You are positioning your car a good bit in advance of a corner. Sometimes you can't even "see" the apex. If you are looking out the "side" of your car to "see an apex" you are doing something wrong as you are seeing it about the time you go past it. The right argument is the ability to see other cars near you (overtaking, battling for a corner, etc.). But again, the vision stuff can be addressed.

And as always... Somehow all of those other circuit racers in closed cockpits somehow manage to find those apexes, etc.! See my comments further up about the quantity of overtaking and traffic that WEC drivers have to deal with. Potentially orders of magnitude more overtakes when compared to F1. They make it work.

Richard
Blimey you've read far more into my post than I put into it.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 16:06 (Ref:3619567)   #616
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FIA asked Ferrari to do some halo testing today to get feedback on visibility. Ferrari ran it for a few laps...

Richard
Old 3 Mar 2016, 16:23 (Ref:3619569)   #617
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
would be nice if they had a photo/first person view from inside the cockpit, but that certainly looks like its going to impede visibility.

these guys do have an amazingly high level of visual/spatial acuity to begin with so what would be a hindrance for us might not be so bad for the drivers.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3619573)   #618
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!

Old 3 Mar 2016, 16:36 (Ref:3619574)   #619
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well it looks hideous.

Also - would it be a standard part supplied to the teams or would each team develop its own version within certain rules? If each team does their own thing how long until someone complains about another team using it as an aerodynamic device?
Old 3 Mar 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3619576)   #620
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Well it looks hideous.

Also - would it be a standard part supplied to the teams or would each team develop its own version within certain rules? If each team does their own thing how long until someone complains about another team using it as an aerodynamic device?
Standard part.

Wow. That in car view looks utterly terrible! That's surely some form of hindrance.

How long until we get an accident blamed on the obscured visibility..?

Selby
Old 3 Mar 2016, 16:45 (Ref:3619577)   #621
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Still think it would be better as two separate bars that connect to the outside of the nose, with one bar running between them with a small windscreen there and a wiper...
Old 3 Mar 2016, 17:11 (Ref:3619583)   #622
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the pictures above, speak far more clearly than I could as to why I prefer a canopy design.

I understand that it fitted onto the outside of the current padded side head protection so may be slightly wider, and that it can't obstruct the climbing out of the car.

But where you see the mechanics Right hand and on the front, and left hand on the roll hoop shows how large the opening is and how big a bit of debris could be that would still hit the helmet
Old 3 Mar 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3619587)   #623
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
It would have to come up super low or directly from above to intrude.

The design they've got now would protect from 95% of instances.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 17:51 (Ref:3619590)   #624
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two point. Firstly, it seems as though the top of Kimi's helmet is slightly higher than the rear edges of the "halo" which could be problematic if that is the case.

But more importantly, what is to stop FOD especially a wheel coming down, possibly one that is bouncing, on top of the driver; the "halo" gives no protection from above. There is also a probability that, as freak an incident as it may have been, Massa would not have been protected by this "halo".
Old 3 Mar 2016, 18:09 (Ref:3619592)   #625
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
to me, and my non-existant racing eye, it looks a lot like those ridiculous pillars in the car on either side of the windscreen that are meant to help you in an accident, but also block around 30-40% of your vision should you look in that direction.

i bet a car spinning and rejoining would fit perfectly behind the central pillar...

on the plus side, at the mounting point in the centre of the drivers vision it does indeed look like it's no wider than the aerial point on most single seaters.