Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 26 Mar 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3224947)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2014 IndyCar schedule

The 2013 IndyCar season has started. So it's time to create the 2014 schedule thread!

- o -

Schmidt Peterson Motorsport co-owner Ric Peterson wants to build a road course in Calgary, Canada to host an IndyCar race.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3224981)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I hear there will soon be an announcement of the 'PPL 300 - Grand Prix of Karachi'
Old 26 Mar 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3225122)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
My guess is central Africa.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3225125)   #4
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Aren't they supposed to be building a new Grade 2 circuit outside Tehran?

Okay, seriously, the series could really use a second Canadian venue again, not just running twice in Toronto. This will be particularly important if Hinchcliffe takes off.

A second South American round could certainly make sense, to further support the base down there, and help with travel considerations/expenses.

I definitely want to see Pocono go to 500 miles at some point in the not-too-distant future.

I know this sounds like a broken record, but I don't care. If they aren't going to use the original layout at Sears Point, they need to get the series down to Laguna Seca instead.

Hopefully the race extension at Mid Ohio has the desired effect, and screw the damn sanction fee, the series should be at Road America.

Last edited by Purist; 26 Mar 2013 at 18:02.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 19:05 (Ref:3225182)   #5
verde
Rookie

Brazil
verde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a Brazilian, I say there's no need for a second race here. Brazil is going downhill in motorsport and I also don't enjoy the idea of wasting public money on races. If I could give an advise, I would recommend instead a race in Venezuela or Colombia, where there are lots of fans and drivers climbing up the ladder of American open-wheels motorsport. Yeah, I too know this race would be funded with money from government as well...

I'm a bit conservative when it comes to IndyCar schedule. Europe has no means to afford it right now. Asia has got the money, but overall interest remains little. Best solution is to gamble in North America. More rounds in Mexico, United States and Canada seem, to me, only the way Indy can regain some of the lost popularity. If they want to be aggresive, a race in Bahamas.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3225212)   #6
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by verde View Post
. If they want to be aggresive, a race in Bahamas.
LOL, They should have come to Bermuda from 1998-December 2012 when we had Labour rule before they were voted out, when we spent billions on useless projects and events, Indycar would have fit perfectly in here where we spent Millions to host the PGA Grand Slam that 100 tourists come to see and almost spent hundreds of millions to build a basketball stadium.

Bahamas, Bermuda, Jamaica, Cayman sound like a brilliant idea, (cough, Hawaii Superprix, cough), but with the local governments and infrastructure, as well as the tiny sizes of the general population, it would be a complete mess.

Indycar's 2014 schedule will probably be as boring as usual, this talk of international races gets more mundane year after year. Quebec City, Calgary, Mexico City, Curitiba, Surfers, Monaco ( yes this actually was once an Indycar trackforum rumour), Monza, Milan, Mugello ect ect ect. Getting Boring.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3225240)   #7
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Calgary race makes sense with the cancellation of Edmonton. I can remember it being mooted before.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3225244)   #8
00steven
Rookie

00steven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A return to Michigan, Road America, Laguna, and Watkins Glen need to happen.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3225245)   #9
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
A Calgary race makes sense with the cancellation of Edmonton. I can remember it being mooted before.
What kind of Sports does Calgary have and how successful have they been? Would be interesting to know.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3225323)   #10
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
i wouldn't suggest it outright, but if it somehow got on the schedule, I think an IndyCar race at Mugello would be quite enjoyable.

If Calgary does happen relatively soon, it looks like it could well be on a permanent circuit, which should be a plus for many.

I don't see a particular problem with going to the permanent Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.

Maybe too many bridges have been burned, but a return to the long course at Surfers would be welcomed by many, I'm certain.

Verde, even if the percentage of the population interested is a good bit lower than elsewhere, Brazil's sheer size and population concentration in Rio and Sao Paulo put it far ahead of any other country down there. On top of that, IndyCar has a number of native drivers and Brazil actually has suitable venues right now, which makes it the clear choice in Central/South America.

Also, with Chavez gone, I expect the Venezuelan driver pool to shrink noticeably in rather short order.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 12:24 (Ref:3225523)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
A second South American round could certainly make sense, to further support the base down there, and help with travel considerations/expenses.
Argentina and Venezuela are in deep problems. And they will keep investing loads of money in crazy projects. But these get cancelled too, so I'd discard them.

The only country where I see a sustainable race is Chile. Eliseo Salazar had a project of building a road course north of Santiago, not sure how it's developing. That could be an excellent idea: Chile has a decent middle class who can attend, and major companies who would love to invest money to promote their image.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 12:27 (Ref:3225526)   #12
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00steven View Post
A return to Michigan, Road America, Laguna, and Watkins Glen need to happen.
Road America and Laguna Seca are tough choices because they are close to Milwaukee and Sears Point. Watkins Glen is Nascar territory, so unless the IndyCar / Trucks weekend gets done, it won't happen. Michigan is also an ISC track, but can happen if sponsors arrive.

About ovals, I believe that Phoenix, Kentucky and Las Vegas should return quickly.

There's the Providence and Fort Lauderdale street races being pushed by Ganassi and Andretti.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3225546)   #13
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
What kind of Sports does Calgary have and how successful have they been? Would be interesting to know.
The big draw there is the NHL team, which normally sells out all 41 games with just over 19k seats in the stadium. Also has teams in the Canadian Football League, National Lacrosse League and Western Hockey League

The big annual event is the Stampede, which draws 1.4 million visitors over the 10 days it runs.

Calgary has most of Canada's O&G firms headquarters is more populous than Edmonton (1m vs 800k)
Old 27 Mar 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3225628)   #14
verde
Rookie

Brazil
verde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Verde, even if the percentage of the population interested is a good bit lower than elsewhere, Brazil's sheer size and population concentration in Rio and Sao Paulo put it far ahead of any other country down there. On top of that, IndyCar has a number of native drivers and Brazil actually has suitable venues right now, which makes it the clear choice in Central/South America.
I agree that there are people enough to make tickets sell out and fill up grandstands in spite of the very high prices. But I'm not sure it can happen in two rounds. Who's really interested on the sport will for sure travel to São Paulo to watch SP Indy 300 no matter where he or she comes from. The rest won't be attending even if the event is being accomplished on the next square.

Believe in me, there are not many motorsport fans here. And the ones that exist are already going to watch the São Paulo race. And only a very little percentage can afford two races. And having to choose between SP and any other venue, most of the people will go for the first one.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 18:22 (Ref:3225667)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Here's some news from Fort Erie.
Old 27 Mar 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3225677)   #16
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Here's some news from Fort Erie.
Pretty sure it will be going ahead. Big news is they've signed on AECON as prime contractor. These guys are the biggest road construction firm in Ontario
Old 29 Mar 2013, 21:22 (Ref:3226607)   #17
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no problem with a second Canadian race out west. However, the sooner they move the race from Toronto to Mosport the better.

The Toronto Indy now draws MAX 20,000 for race day. I mean MAX. I was there in 2010 and if there was 20,000 there that would be absolutely it. The circuit is the most horrendous place ever for spectators. Lousy viewing. The Grandstands are smaller and less plentiful than in the Halcyon days of the event in the early to mid 90's, and half the track is now unavailable for any viewing. From Turns 5 through to 9, it is completely blocked off for any spectator viewing.

Combine that with ridiculous food and drink policies and price gouging and draconian security staff, and it is not an experience I will ever put myself through again. We were lucky to have seats in Turn Three in 2010, but those stands hold - maybe - 1,500 people, and they were NOT FULL.

It is going to be an absolute embarrassment for Indy Car when they get 15 to 20 thousand for the Toronto Indy, while Mosport gets about 60 to 70 thousand for race day for the Camping World Truck Series race. Mosport (or Canadian Tire Motorsports Park for those being sponsor correct) is absolutely transforming itself. New state of the art Media and Conference Centre, new access road, state of the art paddock area, lengthened pit lane, new safety grading and paving of run-off areas in various areas of the track - including Turn Two, new spectator bridges, new grading and spots for prime RV view areas. The place is now becoming a state of the art venue again. With Ron Fellows and partners now running the place, Indy Car would be crazy to want to stay in Toronto when they could race at Mosport.

As for Fort Erie, I will believe it when I see it. Building it now will be a white elephant, unless they do happen to get a Sprint Cup or Nationwide Race. I grew up about 20 minutes from where the new track will be going. People have to realize this. The track will be drawing primarily from the Toronto market, not Niagara. For people in Toronto, it is closer to drive to Mosport than Fort Erie. If they think they will be drawing from the U.S., they have a huge strike against them. PASSPORTS. U.S. Citizens need one to cross to Canada just like we do to the U.S. Why would someone from New York or Pennsylvania want to deal with cross border traffic and getting passports for a race, when they can go to Michigan, The Glen or Pocono for the same thing?? As for Indy Car. It would draw far better at a road course like Mosport than an oval at Fort Erie.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 21:40 (Ref:3226616)   #18
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
I'd say drop Toronto and go to Vancouver for a street race instead. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and a street circuit there would probably be a success.

Beautiful in the day and in the night. Even better with IndyCars and GT Challenge Corvettes flying through it.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3226676)   #19
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No.

Toronto is one of the best street courses in the world and easily one of the highlights of the Indycar season

Full stands, great racing, a success going back decades now....

Drop it at your peril.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 00:49 (Ref:3226678)   #20
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Full stands?

The race has been a complete attendance failure since it's return and was dropping like a rock during the final years of champ car

More grandstands removed this year. It's a terrible track, Mosport on the other hand would actually produce 'racing' as opposed to bumping and pit strategy.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3226969)   #21
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
No.

Toronto is one of the best street courses in the world and easily one of the highlights of the Indycar season

Full stands, great racing, a success going back decades now....

Drop it at your peril.
Can I please have some of whatever you are smoking??

Half full stands. Processional racing. 1/2 the race run under yellow. Extortionate ticket prices. Draconian Security measures. Horrible grandstand placement with lousy viewing and virtually no G/A places to watch from.

If that is a sucess, I would hate to see what failure looks like.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3227012)   #22
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Track Fan View Post
Can I please have some of whatever you are smoking??

Half full stands. Processional racing. 1/2 the race run under yellow. Extortionate ticket prices. Draconian Security measures. Horrible grandstand placement with lousy viewing and virtually no G/A places to watch from.

If that is a sucess, I would hate to see what failure looks like.
Agreed. Vancouver would be the first choice but not realistic. It was a great event. With all the oil company head offices in downtown Calgary and the ability to use the parking lot for the Saddledome/Stampede grounds for part of the track, it would be a great choice. Surely some one off sponsorship deals would show up on a lot of the cars. Every couple of years rumours come up of a group putting together proposals. All we need is a couple of affluent guys to come together. We need more than one race in Canada, especially with Hinchcliffe winning and a much better TV package raising the profile of the series here again. Edmonton was nice in that you could see most of the track but it was in a terrible location.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3227016)   #23
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Ratings Suck Though.

Canadian Viewership for Auto Racing over weekend:

NASCAR at Auto Club on TSN: 350,000
Royal Purple 300: 156,000
F1 at Malaysia (at a ridiculous time) on TSN: 94,000
Indycar at St Petersburg on Sportsnet: 90,000

Indycar isn't even a blip in the Great White North, once one of, it not it's strongest market.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 19:57 (Ref:3227019)   #24
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Ratings Suck Though.

Canadian Viewership for Auto Racing over weekend:

NASCAR at Auto Club on TSN: 350,000
Royal Purple 300: 156,000
F1 at Malaysia (at a ridiculous time) on TSN: 94,000
Indycar at St Petersburg on Sportsnet: 90,000

Indycar isn't even a blip in the Great White North, once one of, it not it's strongest market.
Wow. Sad. Surprised F1 is so low too. Having said that, in a country with 1/10 the population of the USA, we only have 1/4 the Indycar viewership.
Old 31 Mar 2013, 05:10 (Ref:3227113)   #25
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have noticed that Sportsnet is really trying to advertise Indycar. And with Hinchcliffe winning the first race, even more advertising will be done to get people watching.