Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jul 2006, 16:29 (Ref:1666719)   #1
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something else gets banned

I see that Super Aguri have joined the ranks of teams having something banned this year. They have been told at Hockenheim that their new tyre warmers are illegal as they are not blankets, but are contained in a box. By the wording of the regulation I don't think there is any argument.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/53432

However, Ferrari used a tyre warming box last year. Were the Ferrari boxes also banned eventually as I remember seeing them at a few GP's, or were the significantly different to be legal?

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 28 Jul 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1666720)   #2
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thread about the Ferrari Box

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 28 Jul 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1666732)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to GrandPrix.com, the Super Aguri tyre warmers used infrared lights to heat the tyres, whilst I believe the Ferrari 'box' operated in the same way to a conventional tyre warmer.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17211.html
Old 28 Jul 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1666734)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why don't they just ban tyre warmers then? They are a pointless device!

Ah well, at least this won't impact on Super Aguri in any noteable way.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1666742)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy

On the contrary.... getting something banned puts them on par with Renault and Ferrari (in getting something banned terms...).... a huge achievement considering it's only their first car...
Old 28 Jul 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1666757)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Banning tyre warmers altogether is worth considering, as there is no competitive advantage once everybody has them. However, they do increase safety, as they make it less likely for a driver to lose control on the opening lap.

Aguri's tyre warmers were quite clearly outside the existing rules however, so I hope they have no complaints.
Old 29 Jul 2006, 02:48 (Ref:1666936)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no complaints about it. If it's illegal, it's illegal. Good on them for getting something banned- And in the first year in F1!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Jul 2006, 05:25 (Ref:1666969)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Why don't they just ban tyre warmers then? They are a pointless device!

Well, they are not pointless at all. Their point is to warm the tyres...thus improving performance out of the "box".

It may not affect them in anyway that will particularly make us fall off of our seats, but they I am sure will notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
According to GrandPrix.com, the Super Aguri tyre warmers used infrared lights to heat the tyres...
That is pretty cool. Maybe it is just me, though, .

Regarding the calls for banning warmers, I am pretty sure they are gone for 2008 (not sure about 2007).
Old 29 Jul 2006, 07:14 (Ref:1666994)   #9
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Regarding the calls for banning warmers, I am pretty sure they are gone for 2008 (not sure about 2007).
I sure hope not, I wouldn't like to see the results of a wet race around Spa with stone cold tyres...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Jul 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1667350)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
From ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Who knows what would have happened if another team came up with it.
Now you have your answer
Old 29 Jul 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1667353)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I sure hope not, I wouldn't like to see the results of a wet race around Spa with stone cold tyres...
Well, you posted this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Whatever happened to good old days of the 1960s and '70s? Back when the drivers had to actually to drive the car themselves...

In the "whatever happened to" thread!

Maybe we'll get back to them "good old day's"
Old 29 Jul 2006, 23:30 (Ref:1667474)   #12
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
a huge achievement considering it's only their first car...
well not quite as 10% of it is still old fasioned Orange Arows..
Old 30 Jul 2006, 01:39 (Ref:1667512)   #13
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

So to be quick out of the box, the tires were put in boxes that the rules state are outside of the box, the team gets it's ears boxed and so now the boxes are boxed up and tossed in the big box.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 02:04 (Ref:1667515)   #14
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Well...
Old 30 Jul 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1667722)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktoast
So to be quick out of the box, the tires were put in boxes that the rules state are outside of the box, the team gets it's ears boxed and so now the boxes are boxed up and tossed in the big box.
hmmm...that's boxing clever.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1667725)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!