Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Sep 2003, 10:00 (Ref:710645)   #51
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you watched the last couple of rounds, Skaife has easily passed HMS equipped cars in a straight line, eg, Skaife at Oran Park passing Steven Richards easily down the straight and was keeping up pace with Paul Morris until he had a drive through. They say it shows more power on the dyno but CPR are having alot of engine dramas
Old 7 Sep 2003, 10:03 (Ref:710650)   #52
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The current spec HRT VX engine in #1 and #2 is already at a tickle over 650bhp... the Aurora has to produce a lot more than that to convince this team to switch....

The other issue too is that CPR and GRM have had problems getting the VY to 'point' properly, so corner entry is likely slower, meaning a well setup car like an HRT version will come onto the straights quicker, then hit max speed in less time....

No dummies over Clayton way
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Sep 2003, 10:10 (Ref:710654)   #53
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The engine dramas that are showing at the moment are mainly due to the fact that CPR, HRT etc are running ultra light weight engines and with running light weight engines come failures. Holden don`t wan`t Tega nor Ford to figure out how good Aorora is yet. Once all teams have invested the cash and got the engines running for good then we will see how good this engine is, and will also be to late for Tega or Avesco to stop the Holden teams from running it. Holden will argue it unfare to make the teams go back or change the engine again once the outlay financially has been made by the teams. Aurora is unfortunately here to stay.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 11:19 (Ref:710727)   #54
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic

The other issue too is that CPR and GRM have had problems getting the VY to 'point' properly, so corner entry is likely slower,
With the engine mounted lower and further back from the front axle line, surely the balance would be better for turn in as the front end is less nervous with the engine weight over the front axle.

Couple with an A arm suspension, it is a good package and a purists heaven as far as optimum engineering would go.

The lighter internals would surely make the 18 degree engine more free-revving possibly contibuting to the better point and squirt characteristics the team over other VYs running the Aurora. More power from the Aurora engine has not been realised on long runs??

Last edited by Mattracer; 7 Sep 2003 at 11:22.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 11:21 (Ref:710729)   #55
TheMan
Racer

Like I said Mattracer, Hrt nor Holden for that fact are stupid. They are letting FORD soke in the sun for a while but things will change.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 11:23 (Ref:710731)   #56
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you Mattracer
Old 7 Sep 2003, 11:25 (Ref:710735)   #57
Mattracer
Veteran

Hedging their bets more like it, but them's the rules.

All teams should run the same model, engine and suspension on the Holden side for there to be true parity.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 7 Sep 2003, 11:27 (Ref:710736)   #58
TheMan
Racer

Never doubt the fact though that I am a FORD man. I unfortunately live in the real world. I hope I am wrong but am scared that I am not this time. This new Aurora is bad news and also is the new VY. FORD fans do beware.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 12:19 (Ref:710800)   #59
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TheMan
Never doubt the fact though that I am a FORD man. I unfortunately live in the real world. I hope I am wrong but am scared that I am not this time. This new Aurora is bad news and also is the new VY. FORD fans do beware.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 12:33 (Ref:711768)   #60
Stevecam
Rookie

Stevecam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TheMan
Like I said Mattracer, Hrt nor Holden for that fact are stupid. They are letting FORD soke in the sun for a while but things will change.
Are you serious? I can't for the life of me see that HRT or Holden would "let" Ford soak in the sun. Yes the HRT VX engine is a far better motor than other teams possess, this is why Morris and Dynamik are getting big gains with Aurora. I can't see HRT taking a huge step.
Next year will be better for HRT though, for chassis reasons.

Last edited by Stevecam; 8 Sep 2003 at 12:35.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 22:51 (Ref:712456)   #61
Mattracer
Veteran

Atm, the 18 degree motor is a better package and with it mounted lower in the engine bay and further back, the advantages over the other teething problems in Dynamik/PMM would be considerable, yet TD and PMM are very quick at this point in time. I am not sure if the A arm suspension actually precludes mounting the VX engine in the usual position as a VX car would have it. I know that the shock towers in a hybrid VX/Y remain but in a purebred VY these would be absent, meaning that the engine sits lower.

Last edited by Mattracer; 8 Sep 2003 at 22:56.

Old 8 Sep 2003, 22:58 (Ref:712462)   #62
Mattracer
Veteran

Let me ask that again in English!

If you are running a "hybrid" VY (ie, a VX converted to VY spec) and you're running the VX engine, does that mean that because the shock towers from the VX remain in your engine bay, you can't mount the engine lower and further back as Blueprint states and the A arm suspension allows?

Old 9 Sep 2003, 05:42 (Ref:712643)   #63
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stevecam
Are you serious? I can't for the life of me see that HRT or Holden would "let" Ford soak in the sun. Yes the HRT VX engine is a far better motor than other teams possess, this is why Morris and Dynamik are getting big gains with Aurora. I can't see HRT taking a huge step.
Next year will be better for HRT though, for chassis reasons.
considering the dominence of holden over the last 5+ years with all the incidents involving hrt this year & the development of new cars, maybe they took the idea of holding off a bit to get everything sorted whilst still knowing they would be competitive, after all letting ford have a litttle bit of the lime light for 1yr would do better for their investment in the series than if they were still dominating
i believe that to some degree holden are sandbagging this year & with the vx/vy change over period happening it gave them the perfect opportunity to do just so. i hope im wrong but i reckon holden will bite back harder then ever next year & it wont be pretty for the ford fans
Old 9 Sep 2003, 12:28 (Ref:713041)   #64
Sniffer Dog
Rookie

Sniffer Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of engines, the little bird of knowledge has flown by suggesting that TEGA scrutineers have issued a recommendation that further post race engine sealing be brought in from Sandown onwards. Rumour has it that that current engines can be "tampered" with, even after the existing process of sealing is put in place. IE: high compression pistons, different configuration of crank and rod & piston assemblies being removed and, standard legal items being put back in place for the scrutes inspection.
Maybe this could explain an "unscheduled" engine change at OP on Saturday night, after one particular car pulled a B***tearer lap in the Shoot Out!!!
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:55 (Ref:713167)   #65
Stevecam
Rookie

Stevecam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sniffy, was that PMM?
Old 9 Sep 2003, 23:20 (Ref:713653)   #66
Gudgeon
Rookie

Gudgeon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PMM did an engine change at Oran Park on the weekend not sure whether or not it was Sat or Fri night they do seem to have found some extra power His lap times in the race were very good 2nd quick Sandown will tell the tale I have heard that some level 1 teams are trying tom buy the Nemo suspension technology they use CPR are supposed to be using some of the front end components and others are trying to get on board
Old 9 Sep 2003, 23:42 (Ref:713664)   #67
paydriver
Rookie

paydriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres hoping PMM tell the other teams to naff (Neff?) off
Old 10 Sep 2003, 09:41 (Ref:713929)   #68
NicBedford
Rookie

NicBedford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The day of reckoning is fast approaching come Sat night we will know who has pole and who has the best Holden Package I am tipping either Sirromet or Team Dynamik the Dude has a better record in top 10 shootouts than Dynamik so my money will be on Paul
Old 10 Sep 2003, 09:52 (Ref:713933)   #69
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be said - will the teams be going after POle Position with as much verve this year or for a finish? In particular HRT/KMart etc
Old 10 Sep 2003, 10:01 (Ref:713934)   #70
Mattracer
Veteran

Pole doen't mean much. Lead the last lap not the first!

Pole at Bathurst in particular is to crush the opposition's confidence as it not only is about actual car speed but of total commitment- Sandown is fast but Bathurst is crash or glory stuff.

Old 10 Sep 2003, 10:22 (Ref:713943)   #71
Gudgeon
Rookie

Gudgeon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could not agree more to finish first first you must finish and with that in mind I am thinking that Morris Faukner combo is the best value in the field but as we all know it can turn pea going to be a gteatr shaped real quick If SBR Ambrose Ingall get going it will be all over early but Rusell seems to be having truoble matching Ambrose for speed going to be a great day for centerbet
Old 10 Sep 2003, 10:23 (Ref:713944)   #72
Mattracer
Veteran

Ambrose to qualify, Ingall to start I would presume.

Old 10 Sep 2003, 10:56 (Ref:713977)   #73
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Ingall has done enough enduros to know the golden rule of having to be there at the finish. No - think this time Ambrose/Ingall are goiung to be the pair to beat. (Bugger - did I just come out and really say that? )