Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 Jun 2003, 13:23 (Ref:640163)   #1
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
How safe is your car?

Those of you with access to BBC2 may have caught Top Gear last night.

There was a section on NCAP testing and what the star ratings really mean - and it was very scary.

I've always thought that our car - a 99 Renault Laguna - was very safe - after all, Renaults consistently score highly with NCAP. However, because ours is a '99 it turns out that it only gets 2 1/2 stars not the 5 stars awarded to the 2001 model.

This means that in a head on impact at 40mph, we can expect deformity in the bodywork, shifting of the steering wheel and the pedals to lift and deform.

Pretty scary.

For anyone who'd like to check their own make/model/year of car, visit http://www.euroncap.com/index.htm

I'd be interested in what other people find out about their cars......
Old 23 Jun 2003, 13:47 (Ref:640182)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine's a deathtrap, but I could have told you that already.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 13:56 (Ref:640198)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mine isn't listed (Subaru Impreza WRX Sportwagon), but as a 2003 model with some significant changes to the previous car, I would hope it's at least 4 stars. The car shell is quite strong as it's a base for a WRC, but obviously they do make a change or two...

Not sure how it would fare on the pedestrian test - the bonnet is aluminium and would deform very easily, but it has a big air scoop with a very solid looking intercooler directly below it. Hmm - I'll try to avoid running anyone over I think...

Looking at high end performance cars, I've seen enough big accidents on the circuit to know that the only one I'd feel confident of walking away from after a major RTA is the 911 (993/996).
Old 23 Jun 2003, 14:03 (Ref:640209)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
garcon you have a Scooby? I'm shocked! Please tell me it isn't Scooby Blue with stars painted on it?!!!?

To be honest, the only car I'd feel confident of walking away from after a major RTA is one that hadn't been in the RTA. There's just so many things that can go wrong.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 14:07 (Ref:640216)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder what the stars of a '96 Alfa 146 would be.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 14:09 (Ref:640219)   #6
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have just look at mine its got 4 stars for safety but look out if your a pedestrian as it only get a 1 star for that (but im not going to get hit by my own car am I???)
Old 23 Jun 2003, 14:13 (Ref:640222)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Well a 2001 Alfa 147 gets 3 stars....so it's not looking hopeful for the 146....
Old 23 Jun 2003, 14:14 (Ref:640223)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My Saab 9-5 earns 4-stars, but I notice they tested a LHD model, it would be interesting to know a RHD version would fare.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 14:23 (Ref:640230)   #9
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My car's waaaay too old to even be listed!
Old 23 Jun 2003, 14:23 (Ref:640231)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Just while we're on the subject of Top Gear, what did everyone make of that Koenigsegg thing? I loved the look of it!
Old 23 Jun 2003, 15:01 (Ref:640266)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
garcon you have a Scooby? I'm shocked! Please tell me it isn't Scooby Blue with stars painted on it?!!!?
I know! I'm waaaaay too grown up and responsible to have such a car aren't I?!

Once upon a time I did own a Terzo special edition in rally blue with gold alloys - known to my friends as the pimp mobile

But I'm glad to report that Terzo no. 265 was sold some time ago, and the current one's a little more "sensible" - it's a 5dr for a start, and it's black with graphite alloys (std on the 2003 car). My only concession to boyhood Scooby-itis is a Prodrive back box, which does sound rather splendid!

One piece of footage in particular inspired my comment on the 911 - Porsche Cup a few years ago, two 993s side by side at Cadwell (I think). They both went straight on at turn one and hit the earth banking at around 90mph. Both cars and drivers were perfectly fit to race at the next round two weeks later...

(though I'm guessing their budgets were a little tight for the remainder of the season after two front end rebuilds...)
Old 23 Jun 2003, 16:23 (Ref:640358)   #12
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
One piece of footage in particular inspired my comment on the 911 - Porsche Cup a few years ago, two 993s side by side at Cadwell (I think). They both went straight on at turn one and hit the earth banking at around 90mph. Both cars and drivers were perfectly fit to race at the next round two weeks later... (though I'm guessing their budgets were a little tight for the remainder of the season after two front end rebuilds...)
It was Pete Chambers in the red car and it was at Castle Combe. I know he was a bit ****ed off when two weeks later having rebuilt the car it pulled off by me at Donington and caught fire Luckily it just needed a quick squirt with the powder. I did think about using the foam on Pete himself as he was generating so much heat......
Old 23 Jun 2003, 16:39 (Ref:640384)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Hrrmmm.

Put it this way: I hope to hell I never have a crash in mine, of any form. Jesus.

This is annoying, I might have to force myself to stop drive so fast all the time... Man, decisions. Driving way too fast is so much fun though! :-(. Hrrrmmm. Decisions.

:-(
Old 23 Jun 2003, 17:15 (Ref:640434)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Aha! Neilwaynesmith, thanks for that! Had a hunch it might've been at Castle Combe.

I used to help a mate of mine in the Porsche Classic, but we never quite made it to the Cup. No money or car to race with at the moment though - just a 924 Turbo in bits in the yard... Are you still in the Porsche club racing fraternity?

(Apologies for thread hijack! Back to the topic...)
Old 23 Jun 2003, 17:24 (Ref:640450)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Oops - just answered my own question reading another thread - you're a marshall!

If you've ever marshalled the Porsche Classic at Castle Combe, you may have heard of my friend. At first practice he got to the pit gate and asked a marshall which way the track went. Not the best timing - the Clerk of the Course was stood behind him! Proper bcking in race control and one less signature on his novice licence!!

Er, sorry. Back to thread!!

It's good that car programs are taking safety seriously. I know Top Gear were (ok, Clarkson was) a little tongue in cheek last night, but they still got the point across.

The one that really made me think about my own driving was when 5th Gear drove a Volvo and a BMW at each other head on at 60mph. Impact 120mph, total carnage. The message: ONE mistake overtaking someone and only fate will decide if it'll be your last.
Old 23 Jun 2003, 18:23 (Ref:640527)   #16
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Our 2001 Skoda Octavia has 4 stars ...

But I'll have to turn it in next week
Old 23 Jun 2003, 18:28 (Ref:640532)   #17
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just checked - my Rover 25 gets 3 stars for Front and Side Impact Rating and 2 for Pedestrian Test Rating........
Old 23 Jun 2003, 18:33 (Ref:640545)   #18
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Which isn't bad for a car designed in the 1930s...
Old 23 Jun 2003, 18:36 (Ref:640553)   #19
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They're interesting, these tests, and I suppose they help to rate one car against another. But it has to be said, no two accidents are alike, and someone could walk away from one which could do serious damage to the next person.

Case in point, I saw a Vauxhall Corsa torn open in an accident this morning. I don't hold out much hope that the occupants walked away from it, and all for a banal error of judgement during a passing manouvre at no more than 40mph. Forty head on would have been nasty, but forty while spinning into a tree is something else entirely.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 05:58 (Ref:641067)   #20
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My truck is not the best when it comes to safety. It is a 1968 Chevy pickup, with drum brakes on all four sides! Add to that the fact that the gas tank is in the cab directly behind the seat!!!! It's all good fun though! Being that the beast is one massive hunk of metal, any slow crash the other car would be totaled, as I found out in a parking lot fender bender. The truck had a small ding and the bumper was a little out of line, the other cars whole front side was messed up!
Old 24 Jun 2003, 17:06 (Ref:641638)   #21
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Full race spec Clan Crusader. Probabl not very safe as it is still 240bhp/tonne and drums all round Disc conversion waiting however
Old 25 Jun 2003, 07:32 (Ref:642305)   #22
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally posted by imull
Full race spec Clan Crusader. Probabl not very safe as it is still 240bhp/tonne and drums all round Disc conversion waiting however
Photo please?...
Old 27 Jun 2003, 17:40 (Ref:644966)   #23
sunflower
Rookie

sunflower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My car has 4 stars but I have no intention of just ramming it into a stationary car like they did on top gear - scary to watch!
Old 29 Jun 2003, 22:54 (Ref:646589)   #24
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2001 Audi A4. 4 Stars for me, but only one for any poor pedestrian I might hit. Let's hope I stick to hitting other cars, walls and hedges, as has been my track record up to now.

That's woken me up a bit actually. Quite a scary thought. At the risk of stating the obvious, I do hope I never hit a person
Old 30 Jun 2003, 13:29 (Ref:647193)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Ooops. Pedestrians seriously want to get out of my way - 1 star. Hitting anything else 3 stars (seems to have done ok so far, I've been hit head on by an XR3i and a 7 ton truck and the old girl's still going).

Pug 306 Dturbo in case you were wondering (probably not).