Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Aug 2003, 02:49 (Ref:697896)   #51
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I run a Mazda RX7.

I do because it is relatively cheap compared with the V8s.

Cam
Old 25 Aug 2003, 03:19 (Ref:697902)   #52
twister
Rookie

twister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Likewise CAM, and there is nothing wrong with coming out of the MAZDA cupboard! I also run an RX7, due to the $ / performance you can get. But it is "great" to see other cars doing so well.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 03:27 (Ref:697903)   #53
twister
Rookie

As the membership secretary for VIC, I just had a quick look at our figures.

- 91 Financial Members, Out of these:
- 7 RX3's
- 2 RX4's
-16 RX7's
so yes, 27% are Mazda, but that is hardly a "mazda series"

Just some more brief info:
- 10 BMW 325i's
- 18 Holdens (20% of the field)
- 8 Datsuns/Nissan
- 4 Fords (just to show we do have them)

Let alone the rest made up by numbers from: Hyundai, Subaru, Mitsu, Triumph, Toyota, Honda,
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:28 (Ref:698037)   #54
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by W Fairweather
So nobody here runs a Mazda then?
I do... What do you race ??
Read the posts, look at the figures (particularly lately) and try not to let your anti-Mazda bias spoil your day...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:47 (Ref:698048)   #55
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FatBoy
Read the posts, look at the figures (particularly lately) and try not to let your anti-Mazda bias spoil your day...

Cheers,
Paul...
Please lets not go down this path again. There are lots or people who race who post on this forum..
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:55 (Ref:698053)   #56
twister
Rookie

A beer for all, sounds good.

As you say the reason everyone is on the site is because we all either race, or love racing!
Old 25 Aug 2003, 10:37 (Ref:698093)   #57
FatBoy
Racer

colinbond: I don't really care whether someone races or not, everyone is entitled to an opinion... I was just curious that's all...

Mmmm, beer sounds good. Might be time to raid the fridge... And i'll have an esky in the car at the Nationals Kelvin. I hope you like Carlton Cold ??

Paul...
Old 25 Aug 2003, 10:49 (Ref:698113)   #58
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was going, I wasn't going, I was going, I wasn't going...you never know, I might show up
Old 25 Aug 2003, 10:49 (Ref:698114)   #59
Wayne Kerr
Rookie

Wayne Kerr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK then, why is it that only the Mazda drivers post here?
Old 25 Aug 2003, 11:03 (Ref:698133)   #60
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess would be that piston engined cars need a hell of a lot more maintenance and they are really busy!

Elphino, what else would there be to do instead?
Old 25 Aug 2003, 11:03 (Ref:698134)   #61
twister
Rookie

Mazda drivers must be able to type, Not so sure about some of those other drivers!

Last edited by twister; 25 Aug 2003 at 11:10.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 11:16 (Ref:698144)   #62
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Pistons vs Rotors

Or they cant afford a phone line with all the brake pads and rotors, pistons, conrods, axles, hubs and tyres to replace on a regular basis?
Old 25 Aug 2003, 11:29 (Ref:698159)   #63
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by W Fairweather
So nobody here runs a Mazda then?
I race a mazda as well on the odd occasion. But i would race a Hyundai excel(well maybe not) if it meant i could get out on the racetrack. my car will never be a winner, but to me and probably 90% of the other people out there it is all about having fun and being able to race, no matter what type of car it is.

BTW,
the piston engine drivers are still geting here, we are waiting for them to finish

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 25 Aug 2003, 11:41 (Ref:698178)   #64
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say that in QLD, a fairly high percentage race Ford products, although the Mazdas are the gun things because there are a few good tuners around here. Saying that, Ross Dillon (Commodore), Steve Draheim (Datsun 1200) etc win races, while guys like Chris O'Shannessy(Levin) sticks it right up em at Morgan Park in D class. Up there, really anything on the track can win.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 12:09 (Ref:698201)   #65
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Pistons vs Rotors

Quote:
Originally posted by rdmdog
Or they cant afford a phone line with all the brake pads and rotors, pistons, conrods, axles, hubs and tyres to replace on a regular basis?
Don't be too piston amased - the ****els have an advantage.
They usually have an additional internally reciprocating device at the wheel
Old 26 Aug 2003, 07:34 (Ref:699060)   #66
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
colinbond: I don't really care whether someone races or not, everyone is entitled to an opinion... I was just curious that's all...

What?????????
Old 26 Aug 2003, 07:51 (Ref:699072)   #67
Burnt Valve
Rookie

Burnt Valve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Read the 2 posts above by Twister and Doggo...
Then tell us honestly when was the last time you actually went to an Improved Production race meet ??

Maybe it was like that when you were racing, but times are changing. I get really ****ed off with negative comments like that because anyone who has gone to one our State rounds this year would know how good and close the racing has been - and it hasn't been Mazda dominated...

Cheers,
Paul...
Honestly 6 or so years ago and vowed never to go back cause it was so bloody boring
Old 26 Aug 2003, 08:10 (Ref:699085)   #68
FatBoy
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
What?????????
I was simply responding to what you had said ???????

Burnt Valve: 6 years is a long time mate... Things have changed quite a lot in the last few years, that was my point that's all...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 26 Aug 2003, 10:01 (Ref:699164)   #69
W Fairweather
Rookie

W Fairweather should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Cheers,
Paul...
No anti-Mazda bias here. I was just having a giggle at all the people saying that the category is not loaded with one make are the ones that are loading it.

And no I dont race. I am just one of the suckers that fork out their hard earned to subsidize the ones that do.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 10:57 (Ref:699218)   #70
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
BORING?

The nature of Improved Production, and its predecessor Club Cars, unfortunately, does not endear itself to TV coverage and therefore healthy sponsorship opportunities for competitors. The flow on effect of this is anyone who runs at the front, as it is still quite competitive, cannot afford to do so for an extended period of time, so this season's front runner MAY not be able to do the same next year.

This can mean that the cream of the crop, as it were, are not racing against each other year after year, providing as much interest, as far as a spectacle is concerned, at the front of the field.

The more recent changes to the rules, including a control tyre (Yoko A032R) have made the class a great way to compete on a limited budget, in just about whatever car you want. With a bit of engineering nouse and driver skill you can be right at the front.

If it was a dud class do you think that people such as Leanne Ferrier, Adam Macrow, Ross Dillon, Ken Douglas, Ray Hislop and Ric Shaw would choose this class to keep active behind the wheel? And there are plenty more talented people whose budget dosent stretch to FFord in this class, dont you recon Fatboy or Twister?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:09 (Ref:699233)   #71
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
You too Vandas?

Sorry Cam,
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:11 (Ref:699318)   #72
twister
Rookie

A very true statement rdmdog. I think the class is a true grass-roots class that enables people to get started on a "reasonable" budget. But yes to run even at the pointee end for a decent period of times takes money and committment!!
Both hard things to come by when you have to work full time to try and pay for your sport and then very hard to track down sponsors.

VIC IPRA has worked real hard (AS THE OTEHR STATES HAVE AS WELL) in the last 2-3 years to obtain some decent sponsors to ensure the cars run the same stickers (increase the professional image) and ensure trophies and club magazines are to a high standard. But as you say without TV coverage it is a lot of hard work to sell the class.

Guy's don't knock it for goodness sake, the class has approx 350 members Nationally and is a fantastic class where not necessarily the big bucks win the racers (i.e. Sports Sedans often come down to dollars etc). And look at the figures above, how can you say if 27% are Mazda's the class is just Mazda, what about the other 73%.

If you want Australian racing to only be V8's (Comm/Falcon's)that is fine but that is not what everyone else wants.

And hey, when you say loading, we race what we can afford and I can tell you when I am 250km down at PI in my RX7 right up the backside of a 600hp Comm/Falcon it is a real buzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27 Aug 2003, 08:27 (Ref:700363)   #73
FatBoy
Racer

Spot on Doggo, you summed up the class beautifully...

It's all about getting out there and having fun - on a reasonable budget. I certainly couldn't afford to race Formula Ford, Sports Sedan or Konica so i've found something that suits my budget.
Worst case scenario i lose 20k... Still not good but a hell of a lot cheaper than trashing a V8 Supercar...

It's unfortunate that some people bag the class, but what can you do ?? My advice to the knockers is to get out to Oran Park this weekend and watch some great racing then make up your mind about how good it really is...

Cheers,
Paul...

Last edited by FatBoy; 27 Aug 2003 at 08:32.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 03:19 (Ref:701346)   #74
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.cams.com.au/bulletins/B03...20Bushings.pdf

Phew! Disaster averted! Everyone can race this weekend without threat of protest!

Easier to change a rule than to change the cars ey?

[/flameproofsuit]
Old 29 Aug 2003, 10:15 (Ref:702487)   #75
bondy_racing
Racer

Australia
Sydney,NSW,Australia
bondy_racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just got a phone call about the races and i will be out there supporting Ross and John Street in the lancer.
#28 Arrow Australia, Hurst Race Engines, Kart One Racing, Sik-Fx Helmet Painting