Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:20 (Ref:701398)   #1
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another team sold

Sources have told me that Steve Elery Racing have sold their team due to Supercheap withdrawing sponsorship at end of the year.
I was lead to believe it is a well established FORD team either SBR or DJR.
I believe SBR so Mark Winterbottom can run in the main game next year
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:23 (Ref:701401)   #2
smithers
Racer

Australia
smithers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercheap may or may not have gone to DJR.
Bloody hell news travels quick.....
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:26 (Ref:701404)   #3
smithers
Racer

Australia
Everyone should be very happy with this, less Bob Bloody Thorn on our TV's and more Dicky!

Last edited by smithers; 28 Aug 2003 at 06:30.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:34 (Ref:701409)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am hopeful the SuperCheap move to DJR is actually a step towards the front of the grid. This is not a given however.

Interesting that SBR was named in the post as the operation to have bought the franchise too. They have been linked to just about every lazy Level 2 franchise in the series (well except Thextons)
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:36 (Ref:701410)   #5
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope if Ellery goes to DJR that it turns the team around after the last few seasons of disappointments.
Ellery is a quick driver and i hope he finds a ride.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:44 (Ref:701413)   #6
Lyris
Racer

Lyris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ford boy, what was the deal for do you know???

Was it the franchise, the driver, the sponsorship, or was it the whole package that sold????

And care to ellaborate on the word 'sources', don't name names, just which side of the deal and how close???
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:48 (Ref:701415)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be interesting if it adds weight to the exit from DJR of Shell....
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:49 (Ref:701416)   #8
smithers
Racer

Australia
Didn't think it was an exit, just a downgrading.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:51 (Ref:701418)   #9
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is the press release for this story ????

Please dont post without having first sighted press releases.

You have no idea the trouble (legally and business / contract wise ) some posts have caused with some teams , drivers or sponors and you dont quite know just who is reading what???

Please direct me to the link or site in which you saw the Press Release !!!
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:53 (Ref:701419)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I imagine that the deal would be similar to the Castrol arrangement with SuperCheap now, a certain volume of product gets sold in the store and Castrol contributes a certain rate of sponsorship into Ellery's team.

With Shell transferring control of their petrol stations in Australia to Coles Myer, distribution channels suddenly become very important. Another channel is always a help.

Doesnt mean that Shell isnt the owner of the franchise though, it sounds more like the Ferrari scenario where the makers of Marlboro rent the signage on the whole car then on-lease space to Vodafone and the like
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:53 (Ref:701420)   #11
smithers
Racer

Australia
GTR does!
Old 28 Aug 2003, 06:56 (Ref:701425)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
And for once, even though I often know things as truth when I write about them, it is not me standing in front of the firing squad this time

Old 28 Aug 2003, 07:35 (Ref:701451)   #13
paydriver
Rookie

paydriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its good to see people like GTR actually front up to his accusers, unlike some.

This is an interesting story, and in some ways explains why Steve has been overdriving the car more than usual. A shame really, and given that this is the 2nd time SuperCheap has shifted teams, if I were DJR I would want a team of top notch legal eagles to make sure they couldnt leave at will... and they will want to unfortunately
Old 28 Aug 2003, 07:45 (Ref:701459)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
With Shell transferring control of their petrol stations in Australia to Coles Myer, distribution channels suddenly become very important. Another channel is always a help.
Not sure what is happening in Sydney, but in Melbourne the price of petrol has skyrocketed in the past 10-14 days. In addition prices at Coles have been increasing.

The talk around inner circles at both COles and Woolworths is that Shell are finding the cost of providing the Coles 4c discount too high and have had to increasethe retail price to compensate.

This, plus the announcement last week that Woolworths/Safeway have formed an alliance with Caltex for the supply of petrol could mean Shell are in for a very rocky road.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 07:51 (Ref:701464)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
You mean the consumer wont be getting cheaper petrol from these wonderful 4c and 6c a litre price discounts? No! I am truly shocked.

All that will end up happening is that the Coles and eventually the WW/Caltex petrol stations will price at or slightly above the regular fuel outlets, so with the discount voucher, there is a parity, or 1 or 2 cents below the non-supermarket aligned carriers.

The best part is that the volatility will disappear. The worst part is that the average overall price will actually increase. It happens in their grocery lines so petrol will be just another example.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 07:54 (Ref:701466)   #16
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By buying fuel from these chains the risk of stamping out small retailers is very high.Personally I think that it will be to our ultimate detriment.Just avoid them all tegether and they will get the message.
On most cars with a 70 litre tank( that seems about the norm) you will save what about $2.80 if you coasted in out of fuel.Seems like a lot of hassel to go to when the price fluctuates by up to 10c or $7.00 a tank from day to day.It is just a con.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 28 Aug 2003, 07:59 (Ref:701475)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I agree with you Onlooker. Shell would be over the moon at getting rid of all their sites, including the dungers that nobody wanted to buy so had to remain company-operated.

Caltex isnt quite as lucky, WW is not taking all of them, but I suspect they may eventually.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 08:09 (Ref:701486)   #18
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lyris, if he tells any info about his sources, they will soon know it is them he is talking about, and no more info for him.
You can't ask someone to reveal their sources.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 09:22 (Ref:701546)   #19
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got it on good authority that Woolworths don't intend buying Caltex out (not at the moment anyway) it is just going to be a joint venture between the two companies. On the news that Ellery is selling his franchise, hopefully he'll find a competitive drive somewhere.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 09:48 (Ref:701565)   #20
The Tool Man
Veteran

Thats Right Sevi, no one, not GTR Not You Nor ME should reveal our sources although some of those are the same source.

But I do think what we are told in confidence should remain in confidence and whether it be fact or not should not be made public by us or anyone else until such time as those people personally involved want it to be and have subsequnetly released a press release.

Like Sevi and GTR I also have strong industry contacts, and am told of things daily but cant and wont reveal the information as the sources deserve more respect than that.

Food for thought

I do know of several drivers who post onhere themselves under another name and if they wish to share their gossip etc with you they will. But it is the teams and drivers it should come from not any of us.

I know from first hand experience the consequences for a team and driver when someone (not me) "Let the cat out of the bag" on this and another sites forums earlier in the year the results of which led to a very dissapointed driver, browned off sponsor ( who were the first to read the post) and embarrassed and annoyed team.

Last edited by The Tool Man; 28 Aug 2003 at 09:51.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 09:53 (Ref:701567)   #21
The Tool Man
Veteran

By the way I think some of GTR's sources already know who he is, as they do you Sevi, Its obvious because they know who they say what to and then read it on places like this.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:11 (Ref:701583)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I hope they know who I am ToolMan, otherwise it makes talking to them at race tracks fairly difficult
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:42 (Ref:701614)   #23
VeeEightFan
Rookie

VeeEightFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you guys realise that Coles/Myer and Woolworths are raising the prices on the shelves so that when the Aldi German supermarkets open they can cut prices under the Aldi prices and keep customers. It is called marketing.Hehehehe.
You are right about the price of the petrol too, they aren't stupid to give you 4c off. you will really pay the 'real' price once you get your discount.
Perhaps once Supercheap cease their sponsorship of Ellery, the prices in SC will drop. Hehehehehe
Old 28 Aug 2003, 10:53 (Ref:701623)   #24
RaceTime
Veteran

Sorry VeeEightFan - you are wrong in the case of Woolworths - they are not too concerned with Aldi - in particular in Melbourne over the past few months, since Aldi has started opening, Woolworths sales in areas Aldi have opened, have actually gone up.

However, it has been proven that Coles shelf prices have risen since they started their 4c off deal - the same has not happened at Woolworths.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 11:06 (Ref:701634)   #25
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome back Tool Man.

Long time, no read.