Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:04 (Ref:705589)   #26
Hunka
Rookie

Hunka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes V8's r huge but something needs to be done to lift the profile of FFords as it is the breeding ground for todays drivers. Just look at the number of level one drivers that come from there
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:12 (Ref:705599)   #27
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I mentioned before - Formula Fords basically lost the backing of Ford because the marketing people at Ford - the ones who decide where their sponsorship dollars go - decided the motor racing public could relate to a V8 Supercar - it 'resembled' a road going car.

The public could also relate to the Ford Australian Open.

But the motor racing public did not relate to a Formula Ford driving down Pitt Street on a Friday afternoon packed to the gills with hubby, wife and 2.4 kids and 3 or 4 suitcases of luggage.

Therefore the Ford funding (which was going to be used for TV presentation of the category) was pulled and, so far, no one has been able to get a replacement source.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:15 (Ref:705605)   #28
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hunka
yes V8's r huge but something needs to be done to lift the profile of FFords as it is the breeding ground for todays drivers. Just look at the number of level one drivers that come from there
Why is it that people think FF is the be all and end all for up and coming drivers. The only up and comers that seem to be in FF these days is spoilt rich kids. They dont even work on their cars anymore, daddy pays someone else to do that for them. How are they supposed to learn the full aspect of the sport when all they do is turn up and race the car.
There are some great drivers in FF, but also there are probably a lot better drivers in numerous catagories all over the country who never get a go either.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:28 (Ref:705618)   #29
RaceTime
Veteran

Maybe they don't work on them - but they have cars that are very very similar in performance, grip, aero etc - therefore it is the drivers ability that shines through more than the car.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:52 (Ref:705644)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its not true of all the drivers in the field.

James Small (son of Les) is a mechanical engineer in the making and has helped design and build a lot of the updates on the Mygale he currently runs.

I think the issue sometimes is that the guys in this class are a lot younger than they have ever been, and dont have the kinds of skills as a rule to do their own preparation.

Do you think you had the skills at 16 or 17 to put your own FF together and prepare it, make it faster, run the telemetry/data logging..... I know I didnt....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Sep 2003, 12:55 (Ref:705647)   #31
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there anything wrong with just being a driver though, and paying others to handle the preperation, repairs, carrying out the set-up changes from your feedback etc.... not in my view.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 13:11 (Ref:705670)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, but there is something wrong throwing $150k at a team and having that team test at every venue 6 times before every round..... I dont like that part of unrestricted testing....
Old 2 Sep 2003, 21:54 (Ref:706173)   #33
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can stand Billy Woods but he knows SFA Motorsport history prior to Channel 10 involvement.

Rusty, Crompton, Beattie, Doohan, are good, perhaps they need to have regular Ex Driver or Team Owner guest commentators,and we need a decent female involvement maybe Leanne Ferrier could get a gig.

Shoot John Smailes he just annoys me along with Matty White ( Commentator not Driver).

Most people on forums like this know more of whats going on than Channel 10 do maybe we could all get a gig.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 02:28 (Ref:706327)   #34
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mtpanorama
Why is it that people think FF is the be all and end all for up and coming drivers. The only up and comers that seem to be in FF these days is spoilt rich kids. They dont even work on their cars anymore, daddy pays someone else to do that for them.
If you poke your head inisde Neil McFayden's garage between races, you'll find not only Neil and his Dad busy, but his Mum also bends her back.

Mind you, Neil is the current series leader, ...
Old 5 Sep 2003, 08:58 (Ref:708901)   #35
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FF is a very good class and many top drivers have come from there, well of course they have, the talent scouts don't watch anything else. But, I agree with Mount, there are plenty of other classes that are capable of breeding a good touring car driver. Sports Sedans, Improved Production and Historic Toutring being the blindingly obvious choices.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 09:44 (Ref:708927)   #36
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The conventional wisdom seems to be though that a good touring car driver can only exist if they were a good formula car driver first

The exception to the rule seems to be Cam McLean, National Sports Sedan Champion in the ex-B&H BMW seemed to be his launching pad. Brilliant driver, all round good guy as well.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 11:30 (Ref:709000)   #37
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But Cam kept it in the family and had the same backers going right back from go-karts.

I'm surprised Ricciardello didn't nail the DJR car, he's a demon in the Alfa, definately not the easiest car to drive...
Old 5 Sep 2003, 22:50 (Ref:709652)   #38
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
The conventional wisdom seems to be though that a good touring car driver can only exist if they were a good formula car driver first

The exception to the rule seems to be Cam McLean, National Sports Sedan Champion in the ex-B&H BMW seemed to be his launching pad. Brilliant driver, all round good guy as well.
The BMW is a touring car not really a sports sedan, so his pedigree was assured.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 23:02 (Ref:709659)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Cam's challenge was still done on a virtually non-existent budget.

I am not sure what to make of Tony Ricciardello, the DJR car looked awful at times on the circuit, especially at Eastern Creek. Luffy obviously did ok in the DJR car, but he was still over a second a lap off Winterbottom...
Old 6 Sep 2003, 06:52 (Ref:709869)   #40
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's remember that there are more motor racing categories in the world other than V8 Supercars.

If a young driver wants to head overseas, then Australian Formula Ford or Formula 3 is a fantastic playground for them.

Who said all young Aussie up-and-comers want to race our V8 'Taxis' anyway ...
Old 6 Sep 2003, 08:12 (Ref:709899)   #41
RaceTime
Veteran

AVESCO???
Old 6 Sep 2003, 08:14 (Ref:709902)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Nah, not even AVESCO are that naive... they know that when the young charges mortgage their mum and dad's homes, and they come back to Australia, they will begrudgingly pick up a gig in the only option available, V8 Supercar
Old 6 Sep 2003, 12:20 (Ref:710037)   #43
TerryK
Racer

TerryK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Seton_5
Now I disagree. Bill Woods has alot of Experiance. Would be sit and host a show for 200 episode's and travel around the world if he just wanted to get up the channel ten ladder? I don't think so. thank you very much! But Mathew White is another story.
As bad as Bill Woods is he's 10,000 time better than Eddie Mc. That guy drives me nuts.

I remember watching channel 9's F1 telecast & Eddie was a complete idiot...no idea at all & in fact I wanted to throw something at the TV. He even got the driver name wrong.

Just think of Eddie when you watch RPM......lol
Old 6 Sep 2003, 15:24 (Ref:710150)   #44
Thunder1
Racer

Thunder1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's happen no RPM this Sunday

1:00 Trackside
2:00 Totally Wild Weekend
2:30 Ten's Sunday Afternoon AFL
6:00 TEN News / Sports Tonight

Football has won again

Thunder1
Old 6 Sep 2003, 22:08 (Ref:710404)   #45
Hobo high
Racer

Hobo high should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting back to topic i thought considering the TWR /HRT/HSV OWNERSHIP coverup - that Channel 10 got it's facts from the highest bidder
Old 6 Sep 2003, 23:10 (Ref:710443)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I am not sure if its highest bidder, or if they are just ignorant of their surroundings. They have ignored a load of off-track things this year, the Ownership debacle being the biggest one, so I would lean more towards laziness than brown envelopes
Old 7 Sep 2003, 00:18 (Ref:710481)   #47
TerryK
Racer

TerryK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I am not sure if its highest bidder, or if they are just ignorant of their surroundings. They have ignored a load of off-track things this year, the Ownership debacle being the biggest one, so I would lean more towards laziness than brown envelopes
Ten do stay away from hard issues regarding HRT, Mark S is always a guest in Superstars......they could be bias toward HRT.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 00:21 (Ref:710482)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Or its an AVESCo ploy ot only show the sexy bits of the series, while ignoring anything that could be inflammatory or negative towards their category
Old 7 Sep 2003, 00:24 (Ref:710484)   #49
vortexo
Veteran

vortexo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would guess that the majority of circuit goers would no nothing about these issues.
Probably what forums were invented for???
Old 7 Sep 2003, 05:53 (Ref:710559)   #50
Thunder1
Racer

Thunder1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
steam rolled