Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Aug 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2515774)   #1
dtb
Rookie

England
UK
dtb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Trackday

Hi all
I have booked a trackday experience at Goodwood to drive classic sports cars. The cars are a Porsche 911, AC Cobra, Aston Martin DB4 and an Jaguar E-Type.

The deal is to drive any 3 of the 4 and I have chosen the 911, DB4 & Cobra. I am pretty much certain these will be the cars but I would like to know whether any particular car is suited to Goodwood and if I should include the E-Type and drop one of the others. The Cobra is a modern day creation apparently.

It is in a couple of weeks so I will let you know how I got on, Cheers

Last edited by dtb; 4 Aug 2009 at 22:28. Reason: spelling doh!
Old 5 Aug 2009, 03:09 (Ref:2515865)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Personally I'd go with the DB4 and the E Type, both being "in period" for the circuit. Then just to make it interesting try the 911. A Fake snake would be fun too but they can be found in many places.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 05:46 (Ref:2515888)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You might find the E type a little disappointing in a track environment. But as Peter says,the DB is a must,just for the experience,911 will feel the quickest of the two,the Cobra ? it would be rude not to. Have fun,its a great circuit.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2515996)   #4
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Judging by the 911s in the Pre 66 race at the Classic, they need to be drifted... How brave are you???
Old 5 Aug 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2516084)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
you could probably scare yourself in a 2cv at Goodwood if you tried hard enough so safety fast and have fun
Old 5 Aug 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2516089)   #6
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
you could probably scare yourself in a 2cv at Goodwood if you tried hard enough so safety fast and have fun
Ha ha. and yes i have driven a 2cv around Goodwood. As i recall it was too noisy and i got black flagged. "very relieved"
Old 5 Aug 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2516231)   #7
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb View Post
Hi all
I have booked a trackday experience at Goodwood to drive classic sports cars. The cars are a Porsche 911, AC Cobra, Aston Martin DB4 and an Jaguar E-Type.

The deal is to drive any 3 of the 4 and I have chosen the 911, DB4 & Cobra. I am pretty much certain these will be the cars but I would like to know whether any particular car is suited to Goodwood and if I should include the E-Type and drop one of the others. The Cobra is a modern day creation apparently.

It is in a couple of weeks so I will let you know how I got on, Cheers
I drove Goodwood at the Revival a couple of years ago and have driven a fair few cars round the circuit in the past. In my opinion drop the AC. The E type and the DB will bring deep joy to your life. The 911 will let you know just how good a driver you are (or otherwise)!
Old 5 Aug 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2516244)   #8
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goodwood is a very quick circuit that favours a fast car. To my mind, the E-type and DB4 are too much alike whereas the other 2 (Porker and Cobra) are quite different. Therefore choose which of the 2 rings your bell from the Jag and Aston and add Cobra and 911.

Enjoy! It is a fabulous place.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2516258)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Enjoy! It is a fabulous place. But be carefull its a track that can bite you.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2516367)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dtb wont be allowed out on his own at first Iain.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 20:49 (Ref:2516374)   #11
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Judging by the 911s in the Pre 66 race at the Classic, they need to be drifted... How brave are you???
I did one of these days about 10 years ago, it's what switched me on to historic racing, and it was with the same cars plus a Ferrari and D-type replica (which only lasted 1 lap).

Don't miss out on the E-type or the DB4, I don't remember the Cobra being that great and didn't try the 911. But disappointingly the instructors were very cautious with the cars (probably justifiably in my case, as we exited the chicane sideways in the DB4 "err, shall we make that the last lap then?") unlike for example Bedford Autodrome where they insist on you doing things you don't believe could ever work in a million years.

If these really are the same cars from 10 years ago it says something for the guys from Mithril and their prepping skills, they must have led a pretty hard life. The cars that is.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2516377)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I think that after the Ferrari incident a couple of years ago,the instructors HAVE to be a little more cautious.
Old 5 Aug 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2516423)   #13
dtb
Rookie

England
UK
All, many thanks for taking the time with your suggestions and experiences, it seems I may have to make a slight change and drop the Cobra for the E-Type but I have a few days to consider.

I had definitely decided on the DB4 and I know the 911 can be lively so that had to be included also. I don't know about drifting however but the adrenilin rush has started as the day draws nearer equally I don't think I will break any records.

Whatever I drive though judging from your comments I will enjoy the day so thank you all for that. The family will be present and if anyone is interested I will get some pictures and link them after the event. Thanks again.

Hi Terry, how are things going?
Old 6 Aug 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2516657)   #14
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
All, many thanks for taking the time with your suggestions and experiences, it seems I may have to make a slight change and drop the Cobra for the E-Type but I have a few days to consider.

I had definitely decided on the DB4 and I know the 911 can be lively so that had to be included also.
I think that would be the right decision and one that all the knowledgeable drivers on this site appear to support. It is not that the AC is bad it is just that, in my opinion, you would not have enough time in one day to drive all the other cars and get to a level of pure satisfaction with the Cobra round Goodwood. After the other cars it will, initially, feel like driving a tractor!
Old 6 Aug 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2516847)   #15
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would drop the Cobra (despite my V8 addiction) because its a replica. I would rather experience the real versions.

Nothing personal to those with replicas of anything.........its just me
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 11 Aug 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2519453)   #16
dtb
Rookie

England
UK
I leave tomorrow for the south coast and then onto Goodwood a week on Friday for my driving experience, thank you for all the comments which have helped my decision which are the E-Type, DB4 & 911

I will post some comments about my experiences on my return.

Many thanks again, Cheers
dtb
Old 11 Aug 2009, 10:16 (Ref:2519459)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Enjoy.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2519462)   #18
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
Quote:
I leave tomorrow for the south coast and then onto Goodwood a week on Friday for my driving experience, thank you for all the comments which have helped my decision which are the E-Type, DB4 & 911

I will post some comments about my experiences on my return.

Many thanks again, Cheers
dtb
Wish it was me!
Old 11 Aug 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2519502)   #19
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Me too!
Old 26 Aug 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2528876)   #20
dtb
Rookie

England
UK
Fabulous highly recommended

As promised here is an update to my post following my driving experience at Goodwood.

We arrived at Chichester about 1pm and were greeted to a prolonged downpour. Up until then the weather had been good travelling across from Bournemouth. I had wished for a dry and could only hope things changed. Sure enough after a spot of lunch we arrived at Goodwood around 2pm to a mixed cloudy and clear sky but very windy.

I was booked to drive around 3pm and not long after I was introduced to my instructor (Kevin). Within minutes after a brief discussion I was out on the circuit in the DB4. This drive was taken tentatively around the track and I don’t think I had full benefit from the car. It was a good solid drive but felt heavy to drive, this possibly due to my inexperience.

Next up was the E-Type and this was a superb drive, smooth, fast and fun. I expected it to be like the DB4 but was more than pleasantly surprised, even Kevin (instructor) who had not been in the car before could feel the difference from the passenger seat. This was the car I was juggling with the Cobra and even though I have never driven a Cobra I thank you for helping me change my mind, a truly remarkable classic.

Last up the 911 and with a few laps under my belt away I went. Kevin was brilliant all the way through the session and I still have his words ringing in my ears …..power …..power ….power …..POWER ….POWER. This car was planted so I could push a little bit harder. With foot to the floor coming out of Lavant and down the straight it was just awesome and I even managed to pass a slower single seater into Woodcote on my last lap. OK so I didn’t break any records but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Thanks to all the staff at Mithril for giving me such a fantastic time, I will see you again, also thanks to you guys here as well for your input without it I would have most probably missed the Jaguar.

This is a link to Flickr where there are 6 images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41846872@N02/sets/72157622027247595/
Old 27 Aug 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2529094)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Great stuff. When do you buy your E Type then?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2529114)   #22
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
[QUOTE=dtb;2528876]

Next up was the E-Type and this was a superb drive, smooth, fast and fun. I expected it to be like the DB4 but was more than pleasantly surprised, even Kevin (instructor) who had not been in the car before could feel the difference from the passenger seat. This was the car I was juggling with the Cobra and even though I have never driven a Cobra I thank you for helping me change my mind, a truly remarkable classic.

Just remember all the Europeans recommended that you drive the E type and not the Cobra. It was only the Antipodean that suggested you drop the E-type for the Cobra. 'Nuff said!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2529183)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Glad you had a good afternoon,I take it the Porsche was not the horror story you expected.?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 12:35 (Ref:2529220)   #24
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=compte deGraves;2529114]
Quote:

Just remember all the Europeans recommended that you drive the E type and not the Cobra. It was only the Antipodean that suggested you drop the E-type for the Cobra. 'Nuff said!

Typical Euro-blabber. When will you all understand that 500bhp under your right foot is fun??
Old 27 Aug 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2529257)   #25
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=rogerwills;2529220]
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post

Typical Euro-blabber. When will you all understand that 500bhp under your right foot is fun??

I'll take you're word for that Roger - not sure at Goodwood if I would be able to get the most out of it and for me frightingly whether I could control it! Having scraped through the chicane in neutral in the Ausper my nerve would be in question.