Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Aug 2016, 22:58 (Ref:3668832)   #26
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that he underperformed deliberately so he could orchestrate a move to Ferrari!!!?
The RBR was indeed a dog, and Vettel stood to gain $50 million a year extra in salary by moving to Ferrari. If he had beaten his team mate this move would not have been open to him.

You write dumb contracts, expect stupid results.

On the other hand Ricciardo may genuinely have had a better than Vettel.

Guess it depends how you look at it!
Old 1 Sep 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3668919)   #27
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'm always suspicious of conspiracy theories. I think Ricciardo was just able to get more out of the car. Plus, Vettel was coming off the back of four consecutive titles - wouldn't be a surprise if his head dropped a bit, all the more so if he was rattled by Ricciardo's speed.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 14:19 (Ref:3668946)   #28
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
But I still like the theory...extra 50 million? Would you think about it?
Old 1 Sep 2016, 15:30 (Ref:3668961)   #29
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I'd say that there's every chance that SV did not meet his stated performance level on purpose. Not just because I do love a good conspiracy, I also think he really is a very calculating chap. Not only for the salary (although that would be more than tempting in its own), but also because the Red Bull didn't look as if it was going to be anywhere near as good as the Ferrari (OK, so it's starting to look as if he got that one wrong). Plus, I'm sure that there was a rumour at the time that Adrian Newey was contemplating a move to Ferrari too and that this was another consideration that convinced Seb to sign on the dotted line. (The story continued that by the time Newey had decided against the move, the ink was already dry on Seb's signature!)
Old 1 Sep 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3668979)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'd say that there's every chance that SV did not meet his stated performance level on purpose. Not just because I do love a good conspiracy, I also think he really is a very calculating chap. Not only for the salary (although that would be more than tempting in its own), but also because the Red Bull didn't look as if it was going to be anywhere near as good as the Ferrari (OK, so it's starting to look as if he got that one wrong). Plus, I'm sure that there was a rumour at the time that Adrian Newey was contemplating a move to Ferrari too and that this was another consideration that convinced Seb to sign on the dotted line. (The story continued that by the time Newey had decided against the move, the ink was already dry on Seb's signature!)
Old 2 Sep 2016, 22:54 (Ref:3669309)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This all does add up when i tbink more about it yes. But, he still isn't as brilliant as 4 titles in a trick car suggests he is....
Old 2 Sep 2016, 22:58 (Ref:3669311)   #32
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't believe a word of it.
Old 2 Sep 2016, 23:11 (Ref:3669313)   #33
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
A Williams source has been quoted in several outlets that they may have 'lost patience' with Jenson delaying his decision about next year.

If they announce Bottas and an other that probably means it's Enstone or bust for Button?
Old 3 Sep 2016, 08:56 (Ref:3669353)   #34
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'd say that there's every chance that SV did not meet his stated performance level on purpose. ETC
I think its perhaps a mix of both chance and calculation. A the start of the season he would have been trying his best, as it came down to it later in the season and the Red team started showing him blank cheques perhaps a little gamesmanship came into it.

Pride being what it is and the fact that he would not have been happy coming in second to Ricciardo, i think the calculation was no more than 20% of the situation and more a matter of circumstances.

Its not like Ricciardo has been proven to be a slouch since that season, hes certainly quick and deserving of a seat in a top team.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 11:10 (Ref:3669369)   #35
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
A Williams source has been quoted in several outlets that they may have 'lost patience' with Jenson delaying his decision about next year.

If they announce Bottas and an other that probably means it's Enstone or bust for Button?
Seems a bit harsh on Williams' part. I mean, JB might yet be retained at McLaren (though I think it's unlikely), but he doesn't know yet.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 22:09 (Ref:3670143)   #36
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Bottas all of a sudden is back to the head down charger we last saw properly in 2014 and part of '15.

Good timing!
Old 5 Sep 2016, 13:06 (Ref:3670276)   #37
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
It's amazing how many drivers perk up around contract time... So who else will be at Grove next year? Might this be Alex Lynn's opportunity?
Old 5 Sep 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3670290)   #38
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Son of a billionaire - Lance Stroll according to several unconfirmed internet rumors.

http://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/so...-massa-stroll/

At first I didn't believe it, because it is a pay driver and Williams but this is the team that had Maldonado for a couple of years...

If only my dad were a billionaire, and if only I could drive, and if only I were younger...
Old 13 Sep 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3672075)   #39
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Son of a billionaire - Lance Stroll according to several unconfirmed internet rumors.

http://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/so...-massa-stroll/

At first I didn't believe it, because it is a pay driver and Williams but this is the team that had Maldonado for a couple of years...

If only my dad were a billionaire, and if only I could drive, and if only I were younger...
Pretty sure if your Dad was a billionaire you could work around the other two little hurdles.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 14:16 (Ref:3672116)   #40
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Stroll would be a massive gamble for Williams - but I suppose he could turn out to be the next big thing, and they'd have got him early. He seems a better prospect than Nasr.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 16:04 (Ref:3672144)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah Nasr has been underperforming compared to last year
Old 13 Sep 2016, 16:18 (Ref:3672151)   #42
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Beaten by Palmer and Vandoorne in GP2. Just don't think he's got quite what it takes (except a sack of Banco do Brasil cash).
Old 13 Sep 2016, 20:47 (Ref:3672213)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Car's **** though innit!

Last year Nasr was almost brilliant on ocassion. He's had the second year shocker syndrome this year!

Ericsson has upped his game a bit this year as well to be fair.

I would be very interested to see how either of them fared aboard a Williams or Force India....
Old 13 Sep 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3672217)   #44
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nasr had a fine debut, and then Ericsson had a shocker in the second race of 2015 iirc. And despite the two being well matched on most occasions since, because of the lack of coverage Sauber get (if Nasr was really anything special he'd surely be getting at least some coverage for the team? I can only recall Hungary's qualifying antics being a headline worthy moment, when he led when a red fag came out, and that seemed quite circumstantial to me...), several people seem to still believe he's much better than Ericsson. It appears to me (ironically given what I'm going to say!) to be a fine mix of perception and confirmation bias, of which I know some contributors on this forum are much more susceptible to and rigid with than others (without wanting to seem a saint here, I know I certainly have been truly awful with it in the past!!!)

Those are just my opinions, but hey, I have wanted to say that about confirmation bias for a while and you can't stop me :P

For a meaningful contribution with this post, Nasr or Ericsson would be interesting in a midfield car, but there are so many better drivers from both within and outside F1 who I'd rather see. From Kvyat to Stroll!

Last edited by Biscuits In A Red Bull; 13 Sep 2016 at 21:05.
Old 14 Sep 2016, 13:39 (Ref:3672330)   #45
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Does Kvyat have any non-Red Bull budget? His chances at STR aren't looking strong for 2017.