Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 May 2004, 23:31 (Ref:978196)   #1
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mont Tremblant thread

Been a while since I've posted, are we still allowed to discuss DPs?

Business as usual up front in practice, Suntrust and Ganassi. No times for the point leaders (Wagner/Collins) yet. MSR nippin' at the heels where they seem to be able stay. PTG has three cars in practice two, 21 and 12 are both Said/Auberlen. I guess they both intend to drive for six hours, switch cars somewhere in the middle, and finish 1,2,3 with Marks/Hand filling out the podium. Is that insurance, or is that too many cars in PTG's shop?
Old 21 May 2004, 23:57 (Ref:978209)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Mont Tremblant thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
Been a while since I've posted, are we still allowed to discuss DPs?
Yeah, I think so, but I was told in another thread by some "real" sports car fans, that DP's are going the way of the Yugo next year, and alot of people seemed pretty happy about it.

I'll be watching them to the bitter end though...

Danica Patrick
Old 22 May 2004, 00:07 (Ref:978214)   #3
Chevyguy
Racer

OK, is that trash talk, or have the "real" sportscar fans have some hard evidence of this? It seems to me that the "real" sportscars don't seem to be able to pull a grid together at the moment.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 22 May 2004, 00:35 (Ref:978233)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
OK, is that trash talk, or have the "real" sportscar fans have some hard evidence of this? It seems to me that the "real" sportscars don't seem to be able to pull a grid together at the moment.
Think they are talking about the new GT formula that is rumoured to takeover from DPs eventually (seeing as they are technically very similar).

As for the 'real' sportscars, the LMES is doing fine thankyou very much, while the ALMS is starting to gather new entries such as the Barbour Lamborghinis. The Maseratis will arrive next season (RISI), and its only a matter of time before a couple of Zyteks etc. turn up, after there LMES performaces (plus the Creation and Works cars will compete in the last 2 ALMS rounds to). Creation will run a Zytek in the 2005 ALMS while Zytek will be demonstrating their cars to potential cusomers.

BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing a DP actually running, but in the UK I have yet to see any coverage whatsover of the DPs racing or even testing.

Last edited by JAG; 22 May 2004 at 00:40.
Old 22 May 2004, 00:40 (Ref:978236)   #5
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The driver quotes are interesting. MSR says they have more for qualifying. Magnussen says that Mont-Tremblant is now his third favorite track behind Laguna Seca and Bathurst, and that it's been a while since he enjoyed himself so much.
Old 22 May 2004, 01:19 (Ref:978254)   #6
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing a DP actually running, but in the UK I have yet to see any coverage whatsover of the DPs racing or even testing.
Its not really long but there is a video of todays practice up on the GA homepage-

http://www.grandamerican.com/rolex_m...videos_04.html

Old 22 May 2004, 01:28 (Ref:978259)   #7
Chevyguy
Racer

JAG, being in the UK, you have a differant perspective than I do. I see as much coverage of LMES as you do of GA. I guess I should have been more specific, that was a shot at ALMS's pathetic LMP field at Mid-Ohio. Can you point to some evidence of this GT "take over", because I've seen nothing of it.

Old 22 May 2004, 01:45 (Ref:978266)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
JAG, being in the UK, you have a differant perspective than I do. I see as much coverage of LMES as you do of GA. I guess I should have been more specific, that was a shot at ALMS's pathetic LMP field at Mid-Ohio. Can you point to some evidence of this GT "take over", because I've seen nothing of it.
There is a very long thread on the DSC forum, which I have dipped in and out of.

Basically, some say, the new GT formula is very similar in concept to the DPs but with more appealing GT bodies. The theory is that the current DPs can be modified very easily to conform to these new regs, and therefore G/A will be rid of the 'uglt' tag, while retaining the basic mechanical layout/performance etc.

Regarding coverage, in the UK we get lots of ALMS coverage on TV/press etc. but virtually zero G/A coverage. I suppose this is because the ALMS has international significance/interest whilst G/A is a very American series like Trans-Am.

And I agree the Mi-Ohio LMP field is pathetic. It has been hit by the LMES, and many US teams belief that the Audis are unbeatable. But the Zyteks in Europe have shown there is a potential Audi beater available at a reasonble price, and Zytek will be competing in a couple of ALMS rounds to demonstrate the car. Creation will run a Zytek in the ALMS at the end of this season in preperation for a 2005 attack on the ALMS.

Last edited by JAG; 22 May 2004 at 01:48.
Old 22 May 2004, 01:53 (Ref:978267)   #9
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JAG - regarding GA. We do indeed get coverage of the series, races are screened on the TV programme "Race world" thats on Sky Sports.
Old 22 May 2004, 03:15 (Ref:978319)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
JAG - regarding GA. We do indeed get coverage of the series, races are screened on the TV programme "Race world" thats on Sky Sports.
Never heard of it. Whens it on.

I see Maxpower, Motorsport Mundial all the time.

Is it a new program?
Old 22 May 2004, 04:07 (Ref:978334)   #11
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watch raceworld here in the states, its how i get to see cool stuff like the Uniroyal Team challenge, V8 stars (gone now) and DTM during the actual season!!

Over here its on Fox Sports World
Old 22 May 2004, 04:26 (Ref:978342)   #12
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding Mont Tremblant, how is the Maserati doing? It was some seconds off the pace, who was driving it today?
Old 22 May 2004, 05:26 (Ref:978374)   #13
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Im not sure who was driving the FOW Trofeo today but they managed to get within a second of the PTG Bimmers in the second practice-

Results Page.
Old 22 May 2004, 07:22 (Ref:978426)   #14
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS=sportscars, GARRA=saloon, touring cars
Old 22 May 2004, 18:00 (Ref:978992)   #15
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
ALMS= GT cars, Rolex= Prototypes
Old 22 May 2004, 18:20 (Ref:979001)   #16
tblincoe
Veteran

haha good one patrick. although i think that you cant call a DP a prototype because it is a template car
Old 22 May 2004, 19:13 (Ref:979024)   #17
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Template eh? Funny the whole week I was at the 24 i didn't see any templates...

Guess ISC must have finaly figured out the formula for transparent aluminum
Old 22 May 2004, 21:43 (Ref:979112)   #18
tblincoe
Veteran

template as in it is STRICTLY dumbed down and regulated... you have to admit there is very little room for creativity within the guidelines of the DP rules in comparison to the ALMS/LMES/LeMans. i understand that the chassis freeze as well as dumbing down of the cars is to cut costs, but that is not prototype racing. sportscars/prototypes have ALWAYS been about new innovation within the rules, look all the way back to the early days of LeMans all the way through Group C up until the modern era. this is clearly a different genre of racing than the type supplied by GARRA now
Old 23 May 2004, 00:26 (Ref:979211)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is the Mt. Tremblant thread, isn't it....

or is it the "We vs. They" thread????

I'm confused (not really...)

and I'm not surprised that the top Ganassi car plus the Sun Trust Riley are more than one second quicker than any other DP in the field...

remember that Bill Riley is directly involved with Sun Trust...

Surprise!!!!!

Maybe they can throw a few cautions to make the action closer....

Now that those teams have seemed to get a feel for what the Riley can do, I expect these kinds of results the rest of the season....

The only real surprise for me was this:

Why on Earth did Milka Duno qualify the Crawford instead of Andy Wallace????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 May 2004, 01:18 (Ref:979233)   #20
Danske
Veteran

Possible reasons for Duno qualifying the #2:

They used qualifying as extra practice for Duno.

The driver that qualifies must also start, and they wanted Duno to start.
Old 23 May 2004, 01:49 (Ref:979245)   #21
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, you really want Andy to take over after her...although with a 6hr race who really cares what the qual times are?

Im suprised to see the Brumos cars do so well, they seem to be really adapted to this track.

Itll be a good race...
Old 23 May 2004, 04:14 (Ref:979342)   #22
Danske
Veteran

The #58 Brumos car has qualified 5th, 4th, and 5th in the first three races, so their 3rd isn't too surprising. This is the #59's best qualifying this year by several places, though. And Brumos did finish one-two at Mont-Tremblant last year.

At Homestead where the #2 won they qualified 15th, although they had some help advancing to the front at the end.

Stupid AMA race tomorrow.
Old 23 May 2004, 07:15 (Ref:979413)   #23
Chevyguy
Racer

Duno driving first is the wise decision. I don't beleive Pruett can get a whole lap on her in one stint. Wallace and Lammers can get it back, their's bound to be cautions. I'd say that's a safer bet than Barber and France driving in the middle. The field will expand and there's Rileys and Dorans that will be coming fast. I can't wait to see the first flag drop. Alot of talent with close cars goin' at it. Yeah.

Congrats to my man Powell and the amazing Mr. Borchellar. Four for four, I guess GAC will be this year's championship for him. Good move gettin' him, good for Caddy too. Go GM! haha

Old 23 May 2004, 15:50 (Ref:980108)   #24
Danske
Veteran

Oops, so much for Duno not getting lapped in one stint.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:01 (Ref:980124)   #25
independent
Racer

independent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm curious, why do the Dp's start at the front of the field no matter what the qualifying time?

I thought I saw this on the last race grid too.

Does GA automatically put them at the front?