Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Jul 2016, 13:38 (Ref:3658817)   #901
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
From their website:

Looks like Davytec is now some sort of official Onroak US agent, a newly ordered and delivered car is of yet permanently in the US available for tests and track days and the plan for next year is to participate in IMSA competition.

http://www.dayvtec.com
I didn't know this.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 13:44 (Ref:3658819)   #902
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Onroak themself have also an office in the US.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3658823)   #903
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I didn't know this.
Me neither! I remember their P3 car winning its first race earlier at Homestead though. Seems Davy Lemmens (owner) has realized the opportunity the P3 also offers in the US and has jumped at it.

As Europe has shown last year and this, the demand for a smaller (and relative easy to drive) prototype which resembles a high degree of "Le Mans prototype" is much higher than initially anticipated. With multiple pro and am series allowing these cars to compete, the P3s will flock to the race tracks!
Old 14 Jul 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3658824)   #904
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
From their website:

Looks like Davytec is now some sort of official Onroak US agent, a newly ordered and delivered car is of yet permanently in the US available for tests and track days and the plan for next year is to participate in IMSA competition.

http://www.dayvtec.com

Also, Paul Fix tested the Riley LMP3 at RBR today according to his fb page. Another Trans-Am name to be involved with the car, could we see some sort of TA supported P3 series in the future?

Overall it seems there's more and more P3 activity in the US (or connected to it) by the day, it's time for some organizer to announce something soon!
I wonder if TA is thinking about adding a P3 class to their races?
Old 14 Jul 2016, 14:14 (Ref:3658827)   #905
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Probably not - not for 2017 at least. It doesn't really match their 'big bore silhouette' DNA.

Maybe in a separate support series (much like Supercar Challenge has done so far) with other small prototypes (Radicals, etc.), potentially in a joint effort with another club series?
Old 14 Jul 2016, 17:07 (Ref:3658841)   #906
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Probably not - not for 2017 at least. It doesn't really match their 'big bore silhouette' DNA.

Maybe in a separate support series (much like Supercar Challenge has done so far) with other small prototypes (Radicals, etc.), potentially in a joint effort with another club series?
Over the past 5 years of so TA has had lots of cars competing that don't meet there big bore silhouette history. I recall seeing some cup porsches and BMW's twiddling around at times.

The series does seem to be open to allowing in what people want to drive, so if enough of their current customers asked for an LMP3 solution I wouldn't be surprised if they accommodated. Not sure where the speeds would fit in comparison to TA1 though.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 20:39 (Ref:3658861)   #907
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would be interested in a well run LMP3 / lite Proto series. As long as it's grid were decent.

I guess stateside you could do well from a bunch of LMP3, a few CN and maybe some of the Mazda Lites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 Aug 2016, 15:02 (Ref:3664363)   #908
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Ligier. Don't be surprised if most of the people who go for it use the Ligier - they seem to have the market cornered right now.

And given what I learned about LMP3 in VdeV today, I hope IMSA plans to give the P3s a power boost, or there could be embarrassing times ahead. In two of four race weekends this year, the P3 cars were two seconds slower than the CN cars. In the two where P3 was faster, one was by less than two seconds, the other just short of five seconds. It's pretty clear that the track layout and surface conditions has a pretty big influence on this matter.

As I've noted before, CN cars generally post similar lap times to the Elan DP02, so unless US circuits are VERY suitable to the P3s, the "lower" class could be fighting for the overall win rather frequently without a boost to the P3s. If that happens, we end up coming right back around to the question of what's the point of P3 in Lites? Of course this serves to reinforce the notion that P3 shouldn't be in WSC unless they REALLY boost the speed, as well.

Is there a difference in spec of the LMP3 cars in VdeV vs. LMP3? The Paul Ricard tests had the LMP3's into the low 1:55's, while the VdeV cars are at 2:04.... that's pretty significant.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 15:05 (Ref:3664364)   #909
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Is there a difference in spec of the LMP3 cars in VdeV vs. LMP3? The Paul Ricard tests had the LMP3's into the low 1:55's, while the VdeV cars are at 2:04.... that's pretty significant.

Are you referring to the G57 Ginettas running the VdeV?

The G57s aren't actually LMP3 spec, Ginetta got fed up of LMP3 runs and built a new car based roughly off the G55 but more suped up

Old 8 Aug 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3664365)   #910
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Just making conversation.
You made your points and we all (somewhat?) appreciate your contributions but there's a P3/Lights thread + you're more than welcome to open a dedicated CN thread if you like.

Thx.

And thx Joeb.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 15:24 (Ref:3664372)   #911
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post

The G57s aren't actually LMP3 spec, Ginetta got fed up of LMP3 runs and built a new car based roughly off the G55 but more suped up

You'd have to ask FF, he's the one obsessed with that stuff...

The LMP3 listed are the Ligier... I'm not sure what the G57 spec is in VdeV, if it's pure CN specs, or something else.

http://www.vdev.fr/datas/media/57408...gt-pr-0001.pdf
Old 8 Aug 2016, 15:43 (Ref:3664382)   #912
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Might just be different track configurations at Ricard... Amateur series such was VdeV (or Creventic) usually don't get to run the Mistral straight at full song, but rather have a chicane in there.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3664403)   #913
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
They're in ACO spec - same weight and power. Why there's such a discrepancy I cannot say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post

LMP3s run in VdeV as well - several Ligiers are running as well. The G57 is restricted to the same power as the other P3s when running in VdeV.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3664404)   #914
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
They're in ACO spec - same weight and power. Why there's such a discrepancy I cannot say.
What tires and track configuration? And who was driving? :-)

-mike
Old 8 Aug 2016, 17:52 (Ref:3664406)   #915
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post

-mike
Tires: Michelin for P3. Think the same for CN, but I don't know. (EDIT: Was able to confirm Michelins)

Drivers, look for yourself; http://www.vdev.fr/en/ They'll be about on the same level as the Lites drivers - maybe a bit better, but I wouldn't be certain of that.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 8 Aug 2016 at 18:00.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 18:01 (Ref:3664408)   #916
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post

-mike
Track length as given on the respective documents:
5,300m for VdeV
5,791 for the ELMS preseason test.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 18:29 (Ref:3664411)   #917
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
You'd have to ask FF, he's the one obsessed with that stuff...

The LMP3 listed are the Ligier... I'm not sure what the G57 spec is in VdeV, if it's pure CN specs, or something else.

http://www.vdev.fr/datas/media/57408...gt-pr-0001.pdf
Look closer. Multiple Ligier JSP3s are listed.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 19:20 (Ref:3664421)   #918
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Track length as given on the respective documents:
5,300m for VdeV
5,791 for the ELMS preseason test.
So.... The track is shorter for the VdeV cars, and they are still slower than P3? Color me surprised.

(not really)
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 8 Aug 2016, 19:38 (Ref:3664424)   #919
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
So.... The track is shorter for the VdeV cars, and they are still slower than P3? Color me surprised.

(not really)
The P3 cars are slower as well despite being in ACO spec. That should tell you something.

The length of the track does not tell you everything. If the shorter track contains more slow corners(which everything I've been looknig up about Paul Ricard indicates is the case) it can easily be slower than the longer track. Particularly when the difference in length is barely a quarter-mile.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 8 Aug 2016 at 19:47.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 19:58 (Ref:3664426)   #920
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Why is this still going on?
Old 8 Aug 2016, 20:16 (Ref:3664429)   #921
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Why is this still going on?
Would you rather we move this to the Lites thread? Admittedly, it'd probably be a more suitable place given the focus.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 01:54 (Ref:3664482)   #922
Coach Ep
Veteran

So no Lites/P3 at Daytona, Long Beach, CotA, Road America, VIR and Laguna Seca - quite the tracks, especially the last 3.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 03:03 (Ref:3664488)   #923
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So no Lites/P3 at Daytona, Long Beach, CotA, Road America, VIR and Laguna Seca - quite the tracks, especially the last 3.
They weren't there this past weekend either, which is bizarre.

I don't understand why IMSA will farm off a series to another weekend like Trois Riviers, when none of the other IMSA stable is there.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 9 Aug 2016, 03:13 (Ref:3664490)   #924
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
They weren't there this past weekend either, which is bizarre.

I don't understand why IMSA will farm off a series to another weekend like Trois Riviers, when none of the other IMSA stable is there.
Lites has always been an afterthought. Simple as that. Hopefully that will change with the upcoming shifts, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 04:58 (Ref:3664500)   #925
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe that will change. Those PC guys seem to have some pull. There's is Tv for the Porsche Cup, albeit with small ratings so TV time for the IMSA lights isn't impossible. This series is probably a good rival against Indy lights.

Will CN be a good choice for PC2? Depends on economic I guess. Would probably be a spec from FIA but using Mazdas instead of Hondas engines.